Which one is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Being honest, for general electrical troubleshooting, the meter you use for everyday tasks doesn't have to be very accurate, just dependable, and be able to bounce well when dropped. Or cheap, so when it doesn't bounce you just get another $20 meter out of the truck...

I need something more accurate than than that. We bring many good size 3? services to life wired to NEC minimum requirements. I'm a huge fan of checking voltage before a load is applied and after.

I'd just spend $2 on one of those DMM's that Harbor Freight has. No need for a fancy shmancy Fluke. :)

You going to stick that thing between two lugs to test 480V?

Both testers are in the same receptacle.

Ideal accuracy (claimed): +/- 1.2%
Greenlee accuracy (claimed): +/- 1%

Greenle explanation:
Two AC measurement methods are average-responding RMS calibrated and true RMS-reading.
The average-responding RMS calibrated method takes the average value of the input signal after full wave rectification, multiplies it by 1.11, and displays the result. This method is accurate if the input signal is a pure sine wave. The Greenlee CM-800 is an average-responding meter.
The true RMS-reading method uses internal circuitry to read the true RMS value. This method is accurate, within the specified crest factor limitations, whether the input signal is a pure sine wave, square wave, triangle wave, half wave, or signal with harmonics. The ability to read true RMS provides much more measurement versatility. The Greenlee CM-850 is a true RMS meter.​
The Waveforms and Crest Factors table shows some typical AC signals and their RMS values.

Sinusodial waveform: RMS value 100, Average Value 90.

So one perhaps displaying true RMS and the other displays average responding RMS calibrated.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
Thank you Laszlo, but we have used both testers on the same services seconds apart in the past and the results were within a volt.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd just spend $2 on one of those DMM's that Harbor Freight has. No need for a fancy shmancy Fluke. :)
I bought their ampclamp once, it wasn't accurate out of the box. Like, noticeably inaccurate based on common sense, right out of the box. It wasn't worth the $10. I'll shop at Harbor Freight for some things, but cordless drills and meters are no longer on that list. ;)

gar

Occupation
EE
090217-2213 EST

chris:

Since your two meters previously read within about 1% of each other and now are about 8% apart, and the DC readings currently are within about 1/2 %, then it is quite possible that one of the true RMS converters has failed.

In a day or two you should expect to try the half wave rectifier test and if you do this at home you will probably have a moderately good sine wave.

I have a slightly top clipped sine wave at the shop, and I get a fairly good correlation predicting the AC value from the half wave averaged DC value. The clipping of that waveform is visible in my photo P5 at
www.beta-a2.com/EE-photos.html
This clipping is not from equipment in our building. I looked at it on Sunday when no significant equipment was on. Somebody in our area is drawing a lot of current in capacitor input filters off of the line.

I have done a calculation on a clipped sine wave at the 0.707 point and if there were no calculation errors, then it looks like this severe clipping only causes about a 10 % difference between an average reading AC meter and a true RMS meter. Much less clipping will produce less difference.

IMM_Doctor

Add a 3rd meter

Add a 3rd meter

Can you duplicate that same picture at the same outlet today?

Above all of the exacting literature of RMS measurments, I am curious. Can you borrow a "third" meter yet, and have it at the outlet at the same time and capture the readings. You may find 2 meters agree.?

We work on industrial automation. When we find that an electrical transducer differs from a mechanical display, we typically introduce a 3rd measurment device temporarily to diagnose which measurment is more representative of the process.

gar

Occupation
EE

chris kennedy

Occupation
090218-1149 EST

The Agilent 1253A list price is $449.

At http://www.transcat.com/Catalog/Pro...TRAPCD=WBGMM&gclid=CKroxIrD5pgCFSHaDAodfgJ5cQ
it is listed at $379.

Newark's price is $449 and 60 days lead time.

These people seem to have a 15% discount currently.
http://www.metrictest.com/catalog/promotion/agilent_hhdmm.jsp

I suspect availability is a problem from any source.

In Google the search string
1253a meter
seemed to be fairly useful.

Thanks Gordon, I priced a comparable Fluke and it was over $700 at Newark, 2 in stock.

chris kennedy

Occupation
An experiment.

Testertest001.jpg

These are the amp readings of a 1875W blow dryer on its highest setting.

Testertest002.jpg

These are the voltage readings under load

Testertest003.jpg

These are the voltage readings under no load.

The math doesn't seem to match either tester.

120? ? 1875=7.7 ohms

116V ? 7.7 =15A

105 ? 7.7=13.6A

These results surprise me, thought this would be easy.

gar

Occupation
EE
090218-1953 EST

chris:

Your DC measurement on a 9 V battery showed a difference of about 3.1 % (1 - 9.3/9.6 = 0.031 --- Ideal to Greenlee).

Your original values from post 1 were Ideal to Greenlee 124.8 to 113.7 or about 10.7 % difference (124.8/112.7 = 1.107) and a reversal of which was larger when compared to DC.

Now in AC current it is 12.1 to 11.7 or about 3.4 % but opposite the DC voltage relative to the larger one.

Next another pair of AC voltage readings. 116.2 to 105.6 about 10 % difference correlating with your original AC voltage difference.

Because I would not expect two different locations to have low AC supply voltage I am going to guess that Greenlee has the major AC voltage problem.

It is likely that hair driers and heaters consume less power than their rating. Reasons for this might be for advertizing, and to prevent a 6 sigma unit going above the rating.

090218-1953 EST

chris:

Your DC measurement on a 9 V battery showed a difference of about 3.1 % (1 - 9.3/9.6 = 0.031 --- Ideal to Greenlee).

Your original values from post 1 were Ideal to Greenlee 124.8 to 113.7 or about 10.7 % difference (124.8/112.7 = 1.107) and a reversal of which was larger when compared to DC.

Now in AC current it is 12.1 to 11.7 or about 3.4 % but opposite the DC voltage relative to the larger one.

Next another pair of AC voltage readings. 116.2 to 105.6 about 10 % difference correlating with your original AC voltage difference.

Because I would not expect two different locations to have low AC supply voltage I am going to guess that Greenlee has the major AC voltage problem.

It is likely that hair driers and heaters consume less power than their rating. Reasons for this might be for advertizing, and to prevent a 6 sigma unit going above the rating.

Don't forget the motor of the dryer which probably adds a lousy power factor.(Comparatively small inductive load, but the solenoid coiling of the heater element with an air core would also add an inductance.)

gar

Occupation
EE
090219-1054 EST

Here are measurements on an old hair drier rated at 1500 W that I use for drying PC boards and testing boards.

GR 1650A bridge 90 microhenrys, Q=0.02 at 1 kHz. DC resistance 15.4 ohms. At 120 V line current is about 8 A.

Calculated inductive reactance at 60 Hz is 0.03 ohms. Calculated power from 120 V and 15.4 ohms is 935 W. Calculated power from 120 V and 8 A is 960 W.

An Ungar 1000 W heat gun. 50 microhenrys at 1 kHz, 13.5 ohms DC resistance. Load current 7.5 A at 120 V.

None of these were high accuracy measurements, but the inductive reactance is so small it can be ignored. In particular the inductance is probably smaller because this is the end of the range for low Q on the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.