why i HATE shared NEUTRALS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am a firm beleiver in using multi-wire circuits. However, I can't imagine ever NOT placing the breakers side-by-side, whether I intend to use a handle-tie or not, even if I have to re-write the panel schedule.

"I am a firm beleiver in using multi-wire circuits. However, I can't imagine ever NOT placing the breakers side-by-side, whether I intend to use a handle-tie or not, even if I have to re-write the panel schedule."

What about existing panels that are almost full and you would have to move several around to get them side by side, especially to keep the panel balanced??

Another thing people need to remember, even when using an amp probe that checks to see if there is a load on a neutral in commercial buildings, it might not have any draw at the present, cause the the equipment may not be on. but soon as it is own, and that neutral is disconnected, you could get bit (even after you had tested it ) or someone could fry their computer or other equipment. what do u think?? Remember im talking about commecial buildings that had been remodled many times. Not residential. :)

dnem

iwire said:
David I understand how a MWBC works. ;)

My question was a real one.

What is the 310.16 ampacity of 14 and 12 AWG?

It is not the same as 240.4(D)

I included the ampacity from Table310.16 & 240.4(D) in the post you are replying to and I included those numbers in my comments.

I'm not sure what more you're looking for me to do with those numbers

iwire said:
You mentioned that the neutral would 'burn' (your term) I doubt highly we would get anything remotely near burning.

I have seen brown crusty neutrals on two wire circuits.

As always we can not protect idiots from themselves.

If the wire turning brown was only a color change it wouldn't be a danger. But the wire is turning brown because the insulation is being damaged and chunks are breaking off. If this hot conductor comes in contact with something combustible, you have a bad situation. Thankfully, usually, the most damage is done inside the panel where the amps and ambient combine to maximize the temp.

On my brother-in-laws house panel cover was so hot to the touch that you couldn't hold your hand on it without pain. He had a bunch of toasted wires inside. He also had arcing on some of his breaker contacts, so there was multiple problems on his panel. But the combination of overheating and arcing made it a fire waiting to happen.

David

dnem

georgestolz said:
dnem said:
...if the neutral HR is disconnected, you can be working on a deenergized 2 wire circuit section of the multi and get blasted by the neutral.
But you're talking about two breaks in the system at once. Why would that occur? Someone would have to intentionally lift the neutral from energized circuits.

No, only one break.

If only the neutral HR is disconnected the danger is everywhere on the entire multicircuit branches, including the 2wire offshoots that have phase wires that are off. If you simply touch the neutral anywhere in any box in the multi, if you're grounded to something metal, you'll get blasted. And if it's 277v, it's gonna fry you are knock you on your rear.

David

dnem

roger said:
David, as pointed out by George, you are looking at a multiple fault condition and the bottom line is, an open neutral is an open neutral regardless of how many ungrounded conductors it is common to, so I don't understand why you would think an MWBC is more dangerous than a two wire circuit with an open grounded conductor.

With that said, when trouble shooting or working on any circuit, caution must be used and the worst must be expected.

Roger

Not a multiple fault, only one single open neutral HR and then the neutral can bite you from anywhere by just touching it.

I think the MWBC is more dangerous because the worker turns off the circuit and thinks it's safe to work on it. They start to handle the wires as if they're all dead but if:
a) one of the other circuits on the multi is still on and
b) the neutral HR gets disconnected
then look out, the worker is handling a "live" neutral but thinking that all of the wires that they're working on are dead. If you're under the impression that it's dead, you handle it differently. You work faster and with less precision about what you touch.

As an example, the situation that I got blasted by the neutral.

We were reworking a large drop ceiling area in an office. The multi was a 4wire 277/480v. We shut off all three circuits and demoed certain connections and moved lights around. Obviously the neutral HR was lost in one of those disconnections, which I would find out the next day. When we left, we left the yellow and orange circuits off because they were feeding lights that were under construction but we turned the brown circuit back on because it feed lights that weren't being disturbed and they provided perimeter lighting for office areas that were still occupied and not part of the construction area.

The next morning we went back to work, noone thought about any danger from the brown circuit because we were not working on any brown circuit lights or even working in any 4 squares that had the brown circuit present. But the shared neutral is electrically the same at every point in the multi. Just because it's only present with the deenergized yellow phase in a jbox doesn't mean anything. The neutral that I touched wasn't anywhere near any box that contained the brown. The brown phase didn't even enter the same room that I was working in.

And that's why it can be so dangerous if you don't stay sharp. It's so easy to overlook the danger.

Having said all of this, I'm not coming out against the multi. I just caution against the danger. If installed properly, it can open up space in the panel by cutting the number of neutrals and grounds to one half or one third.

Simple precautions by trained personnel solves the problem.

David

jwelectric

With all this talk about someone getting hurt or might get hurt when working on a multiwire circuit is doing nothing but highlighting their stupidity.

In every post that I have read and every link that has been posted I see the lack of safety on the part of the person doing the work.

Each and every time there was someone poking around in a live circuit that did not have the proper safety equipment on and it seems to me that there was no meter checking being done. I could see no safety rules being observed.

I have heard, ?what if some contacts a live neutral and is grounded??
I ask, ?Why someone would be grounding their self and working on any circuit live or not??

?What if you disconnect the neutral and it burns up some ones equipment??
Who would disconnect a neutral with out first knowing which circuit(s) is/are supplying?

Through seven pages and 64 post the only danger I have heard is human error.
I have heard of the so called electrician that just starts disconnecting with out knowing what they are disconnecting, The person that is working without PPE and the idiot that is grounding him/her self and poking around in an enclosure that contains a live circuit.
This is a clear picture of the uneducated and untrained persons that think they are an electrician and working unprofessionally.

To address the TV being burned up due to a multiwire circuit I have but one thing to say. Any electrician that is trouble shooting a dwelling unit with the main closed is NOT an electrician and has absolutely no knowledge of the safety rules for troubleshooting except what is self taught.

The only thing that I have gained from this thread is a good example that I will be using in the classroom to teach up coming electricians the proper way to trouble shoot circuits safely.
Rule one is to NEVER work an energized circuit.

dlhoule

Mike says: Any electrician that is trouble shooting a dwelling unit with the main closed is NOT an electrician and has absolutely no knowledge of the safety rules for troubleshooting except what is self taught.

Will you explain your method of troubleshooting intermittant voltage drop on a circuit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The next morning we went back to work, noone thought about any danger from the brown circuit because we were not working on any brown circuit lights or even working in any 4 squares that had the brown circuit present. But the shared neutral is electrically the same at every point in the multi. Just because it's only present with the deenergized yellow phase in a jbox doesn't mean anything. The neutral that I touched wasn't anywhere near any box that contained the brown. The brown phase didn't even enter the same room that I was working in.

If the neutral and ground are connected together at some point how could you receive a shock from the neutral? With the exception of some impedance due to the circuit length the voltage between a properly connected neutral and ground should be at or near zero volts.

jwelectric

dlhoule said:
Mike says: Any electrician that is trouble shooting a dwelling unit with the main closed is NOT an electrician and has absolutely no knowledge of the safety rules for troubleshooting except what is self taught.

Will you explain your method of troubleshooting intermittant voltage drop on a circuit?

So based on the thread what you are saying is in order to check the voltage I MUST disconnect the grounded (neutral) conductor.

Now explain to me why I would need to disconnect the grounded (neutral) conductor in order to check for voltage drop.
Why would I need to disconnect anything to check the voltage?

When checking the voltage in an enclosure I WILL have my PPE on.
I WILL check the meter, check the circuit and then check the meter each and every time.

I DO NOT enter a dwelling unit and start troubleshooting any circuit while having electronic equipment in operation.
I DO NOT enter a dwelling unit and remove the panel cover with the main closed (on).
I DO NOT enter any building and assume that anything in that building is installed properly.

I DO follow NFPA 70E and the safety rules outlined in OSHA.
How do you work?

Most so called electricians who think they know what they are doing ignore these safety rules just because they have been doing electrical work for years. These are the ones who are getting hurt and start complaining about it is the fault of someone else other than their selves.
The truth is that in 99.99% of all electrical accidents could have been prevented and the person at fault is the person doing the work. They simply didn?t follow the proper safety procedures.

PPE.jpg

Last edited:
jwelectric said:
"With all this talk about someone getting hurt or might get hurt when working on a multiwire circuit is doing nothing but highlighting their stupidity."
"Rule one is to NEVER work an energized circuit."

Mike said:
Any electrician that is trouble shooting a dwelling unit with the main closed is NOT an electrician and has absolutely no knowledge of the safety rules for troubleshooting except what is self taught.

dnem said:
"The next morning we went back to work, noone thought about any danger from the brown circuit because we were not working on any brown circuit lights or even working in any 4 squares that had the brown circuit present. But the shared neutral is electrically the same at every point in the multi. Just because it's only present with the deenergized yellow phase in a jbox doesn't mean anything. The neutral that I touched wasn't anywhere near any box that contained the brown. The brown phase didn't even enter the same room that I was working in."

I see some are mostly blaming 'improperly trained' or 'careless' electricians or 'stupidity' for getting themselves shocked. Dont get me wrong, im not saying that those statements dont contribute to SOME of the accidents. However I HAVE TO DISAGREE that i accounts for ALL. I do not think dnem is stupid. He sounds sharp :) lol

Take for example in some hospitals, some multi wire circuits you just cant turn off while trouble shooting/ or working on. The 'hot' you got working on is dead but that neutral is still carrying a load back home. In other cases i just seen where AGE had gotten to a connection/wirenut and the home run neutral got disconnected over time, and the sensitive equipment gets fried,
(im NOT just talking about $3000 plasma tv's either!!)

The point im making, if their were no shared neutrals (especially in the hospital) it would avoid over half this stuff. Yes even help the 'git er done' in hurry carless electrician or "stupidity" as someone put it. I dont think i would go so FAR as to say they are "NOT ELECTRICIANS.":) God bless and have a safe day.

DGrant041

Mike (jwelectric)-

That's an interesting perspective. Quite a few posts ago, I posed a couple of questions to the general forum. Rodger wrote back a few replies but I would like to know your thoughts on them.

The DOE link that iwire posted (# 20) said this:

"Shared or common neutrals in electrical circuits can pose an
electrical safety hazard because they are not always identified
during zero-energy or safe-to-work checks. It is only after a
worker receives an electrical shock or after the neutral has been
lifted and checked with a meter that this potentially dangerous
condition is identified. The following recent events are examples
of this hazard."

Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19
I understand that proposals for the 2008 code that will require handle ties on all MWBCs and also require group identification of the hots and grounded conductors at the panels have been approved.

Originally Posted by roger
Don, I have a feeling that it will not stand, there are to many instances, (such as in a hospital) where circuits can not or would not be practicle to be turned off or opened at the same time.

My question to you, Mike is:

Do you label MWBC that share a neutral on the panel board? Why or why not?

Do you install handle ties on MWBC breakers? Why or Why not?

How would you recommend changing a ballast in a light fixture (drop ceiling, 4 bulb flour.) in a hospital that could be on a MWBC? It's one thing to fry someone's plasma, it's another to turn OFF someone’s plasma drip.

Thanks again for your comments and experience.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 'hot' you got working on is dead but that neutral is still carrying a load back home

This is completely dependent on where in the circuit you're working. If you're changing a ballast with the hot leg de-energized to the fixture the neutral at the fixture will not be carrying anything regardless of the number of circuits connected upstream of that fixture.

infinity said:
This is completely dependent on where in the circuit you're working. If you're changing a ballast with the hot leg de-energized to the fixture the neutral at the fixture will not be carrying anything regardless of the number of circuits connected upstream of that fixture.

This is true, to a certain extent :). ever seen where the neutral is just spliced and the upstream multi circuits are still on and just pass 'thru' the fixture you are working on. that neutral is still carrying a load.

DGrant041 said:
How would you recommend changing a ballast in a light fixture (drop ceiling, 4 bulb flour.) in a hospital that could be on a MWBC? It's one thing to fry someone's plasma, it's another to turn OFF someone?s plasma drip.
Thanks again for your comments and experience.

I wait patienly to see the response to these questions. :)

dlhoule

I do and have been for a few years now. It makes things simpler in terms of t/s and safety.

Sometimes; it depends on the application.

How would you recommend changing a ballast in a light fixture (drop ceiling, 4 bulb flour.) in a hospital that could be on a MWBC? It's one thing to fry someone's plasma, it's another to turn OFF someone?s plasma drip.

In an absolute emergency I would wear proper PPE and be extremely careful. I would also make every effort to see to it that any lighting on MWBC only contained lighting circuits. I would think that it would be a part of design for a Hospital; so you wouldn't have to worry about losing power to someone?s plasma drip.

I am not familiar with hospitals, but it sure seems like any equipment providing any kind of life support or care would have to be on a dedicated circuit not involving any MWBC. At least in terms of design it should be this way IMHO.

jwelectric

DGrant041 said:
No I don?t because the code does not require this. A propertly trianed person will be able to recognize a multiwire circuit.

DGrant041 said:
Yes where the code requires handle ties and no if they are not required. Again, a propertly trianed person will be able to recognize a multiwire circuit and have the knowledge of the proper way to work on the cirsuits.

DGrant041 said:
How would you recommend changing a ballast in a light fixture (drop ceiling, 4 bulb flour.) in a hospital that could be on a MWBC?
I would recommend that the person working on any light fixture whether it is on a multiwire circuit or not have the proper training.
If the fear is about the grounded (neutral) conductor that is present in the fixture and this conductor is part of a multiwire circuit would the equipment grounding conductor be as dangerous? Remember that the equipment grounded conductor is tied to the grounded (neutral) somewhere in the system. One conductor will be carring as much current as the other.
Let?s not forget that it is current that hurts not the voltage although the difference in voltage potenial would be the same between the two conductors. With the proper training one would know that at the point of the cut should be between the ballast and the wire nut connecting the neutral.
After Jan. 1, 2008 this will be taken care of by:
410.73 (G) Disconnecting Means In indoor locations, other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires (fixtures) that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place or ballasted luminaires that are supplied from multiwire branch circuits and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire (fixture), to disconnect simultaneously from the source of supply all conductors of the ballast, including the grounded conductor if any. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded. The disconnecting means shall be located so as to be accessible to qualified persons before servicing or maintaining the ballast. This requirement shall become effective January 1, 2008.

jwelectric

brother said:
This is true, to a certain extent :). ever seen where the neutral is just spliced and the upstream multi circuits are still on and just pass 'thru' the fixture you are working on. that neutral is still carrying a load.
I wait patienly to see the response to these questions. :)

When I open a fixture to change ballast I always cut the wire between the last wire nut and the ballast. This way I do not have to open the circuit at all.
Why would I want to open the circuit and be in total darkness while working? I bet a good answer is to turn off the circuit. While I am at the panel I believe that I would turn off all the circuits and be done with it.

dlhoule

So based on the thread what you are saying is in order to check the voltage I MUST disconnect the grounded (neutral) conductor.

My apologies Mike, I didn't pay any attention to that little detail of the thread being on disconnecting the gc. I thought it was about shared neutrals.

dnem

jwelectric said:
With all this talk about someone getting hurt or might get hurt when working on a multiwire circuit is doing nothing but highlighting their stupidity.

Working on buildings that are partially occupied, where some circuits must remain on for the business that is still operating, while another section is under demo and/or construction is just plain reality. When you work in those environments day after day and year after year and decade after decade, you can one day have one person on your crew that makes a mistake.

I'm sorry that you're too narrow minded to realize that it's not just stupidity. Humans aren't perfect. The Cleveland Ohio local that I worked in has over 2000 electricians in the local. We would hear about accidents when they happened and take the info to heart. But with 2000 guys working, there are occasional accidents. The existance of accidents doesn't highlight stupidity, it highlights that your chosen profession can be dangerous. Sometimes stupidity is involved, sometimes it's not.

jwelectric said:

In every post that I have read and every link that has been posted I see the lack of safety on the part of the person doing the work.

Each and every time there was someone poking around in a live circuit that did not have the proper safety equipment on and it seems to me that there was no meter checking being done. I could see no safety rules being observed.

And sometimes it's someone working with a circuit that they think is off because they have confirmed that the breaker feeding the whole area if off. It's not careless poking around. In my example, wiggy checking from yellow to neutral would have shown no power. The neutral that was disconnected from its HR was energized thru the lights on the brown circuit. It was the same as a hot. The yellow was disconnected by the breaker so there would be no reading between hot and neutral. There would have been 277v registered between neutral and ground, if I had checked.

If you think that means that I was stupid not to check, then so be it.

I don't think my example is one of plain stupidity. I think it was a genuine mistake. As I explained it before

dnem said:
We were reworking a large drop ceiling area in an office. The multi was a 4wire 277/480v. We shut off all three circuits and demoed certain connections and moved lights around. Obviously the neutral HR was lost in one of those disconnections, which I would find out the next day. When we left, we left the yellow and orange circuits off because they were feeding lights that were under construction but we turned the brown circuit back on because it feed lights that weren't being disturbed and they provided perimeter lighting for office areas that were still occupied and not part of the construction area.

jwelectric said:

I have heard, ?what if some contacts a live neutral and is grounded??
I ask, ?Why someone would be grounding their self and working on any circuit live or not??

Do you honestly think someone would ground themselves purposefully ?
I can't believe you would think that.
Do you also think that people shock themselves purposefully ?

jwelectric said:

?What if you disconnect the neutral and it burns up some ones equipment??
Who would disconnect a neutral with out first knowing which circuit(s) is/are supplying?

Why do you assume the damage is done in the beginning, before the power is shut off. On one job, one of my employees told me that he was done with a house 3wire multi. I inspected his panel work and looked at the HR jbox in the basement ceiling. He had already folded up all of the wiring into the jbox so I didn't see that he had missed the neutral HR and it was folded up into the back of the box. We flipped on the two breakers and a fuse in the TV blew up like a balloon popping. Thankfully it was only a tiny little fuse that we replaced and everything else was fine. The entire job was done with the power off. But his one mistake could have cost me the price of a big screen TV.

I'm not saying that I've done everything right or that I've used every safety precaution. You do make some good points about safety proceedures. But your harsh accusations show extreme ignorance of reality.

jwelectric said:
Through seven pages and 64 post the only danger I have heard is human error.
I have heard of the so called electrician that just starts disconnecting with out knowing what they are disconnecting, The person that is working without PPE and the idiot that is grounding him/her self and poking around in an enclosure that contains a live circuit.
This is a clear picture of the uneducated and untrained persons that think they are an electrician and working unprofessionally.

Do you consider it uneducated to make wild generalizations rather than talk about the facts as they have been posted ?

David

dnem

infinity said:
dnem said:

If the neutral and ground are connected together at some point how could you receive a shock from the neutral? With the exception of some impedance due to the circuit length the voltage between a properly connected neutral and ground should be at or near zero volts.

Impedance has nothing to do with this concept. The neutral and the ground are only connected together at the main. If the neutral home run is disconnected, it has no path to the main. The only connection that the neutral still has is to the load. And thru the load it is connected to the phase wire feeding the load. So it is the same potential as the load.

If you have a 4wire 277/480 and only the brown circuit breaker is on. If you disconnect the neutral HR and measure the voltages you get:
a) yellow to neutral = zero
b) orange to neutral = zero
c) brown to neutral = zero
d) neutral to ground = 277v
e) yellow to ground = zero
f) orange to ground = zero
g) brown to ground = 277v

The 277v neutral to ground is because the neutral has become an extension of the brown circuit. It extends thru the load to every point that the neutral is present in the multi.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.