Wiring a New House

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Mike03a3 said:
Yes, I've seen a lot of info about the effects of the new preservatives on fasteners and structural supports. Simpson has a number of bulletins related to using Strong-ties and associated fasteners with various type of treated lumber.

All of which begs the question: what about the panel itself? Fastening it to a piece of treated wood may be far worse than fastening it to concrete. It bears investigation. With all the changes in the building industry materials, us old guys don't know half what we think we know because everything we learned is becoming obsolete. "That's the way I've always done it" might not work anymore.

"That's the way I've always done it" might not work anymore".

I believe this needs repeating.

Sonny Boy

I really apreciate all the advice

I really apreciate all the advice

electricmanscott said:
The thing that is anoying me in this thread is the attitude. An inexperienced guy asks for help. He gets that help. The proper advice I might add, from experienced guys who know their stuff. Then proceeds to discount the advice and in fact dispute it. Why even ask if you don't want to know. :-? For me I'd take the advice and use it. In the end you will be better for it.

I called the homeowner this morning and said I couldn't do it. Apologized to him and give him references that could wire the house. That doesn't mean I couldn't have done the job and have it pass inspections and everything would work like it's supposed to. I felt like I was biting off more than I could chew at this time.

Things are picking up right now. I have to do some bids on additions, remodels and service changes. I'll stick with that kinda stuff for now.

Again. Thank you for the help and your views had a lot to do with my decision not to wire the house.

P.S. Appreciate is spelled A-p-p-r-e-c-i-a-t-e

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

electricmanscott

What I would do if I were you is find someone who does alot of new housing and see if you can work with them. This will get you some experience under your belt while not being the decision maker.

When I was first starting my business I subbed from another EC on a bunch of new townhouses. He was the guy in charge and essentialy said do this this and this like this, and I played romex robot.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Another alternative, if you need to keep making money during the week, is to work with a group like Habitat for Humanity on Saturdays. The pace is a lot less hectic, no one is going to fire you, and you get to do some good in the meantime.

Load Center Mounting

Load Center Mounting

We always try to install the service right after the foundation is backfilled. The sooner the service is installed, the sooner the house can get permenent power. Following is how we install a 200A underground service (in Illinois we use a meter pedestal):

1) Connect a 1 1/2" EMT SS connector onto the back of the meter pedestal.

2) Cut two 2x4's at 14". Set the two 2x4's on top of each other on top of the foundation and rest the 1 1/2" connector on top of the 2x4's. This puts the connector (and pedestal) at the correct height so that when a 90 degree elbow is connected to the pedestal it will clear the foundation.

3) Shoot the pedestal onto the foundation (use a piece of plywood behind the pedestal to bring the back of the pedestal out far enough to be flush with the 1st floor's exterior wall. We use a power acuated tool (Ramset) with 3" nails.

4) Connect a 1 1/2 EMT elbow (With a 6" nipple coupled onto it for a standard height basement) onto the top of the load center. Hang the load center over the top of the foundation wall and insert the elbow into the pedestal's connector.

5) The load center is now hanging down into the basement with a 1 1/2" space between the back of the load center to the foundation wall. Take the two pre-cut 2x4's and place one horizontally at the top and one horizontally at the bottom. (This takes up the 1 1/2" space.) Shoot thru the panel and the 2x4's into the foundation with a ramset using 3" nails.

Using this method eliminates having to use an expensive mogul LB.It's easy to push the feeders thru the elbow. There is spacing between the foundation and panel. We,ve done 1,000's of them this way and never a problem.

resistance

Sonny Boy said:
Got a job wiring a new 2700 sq ft home. Need some pointers. What?s the mounting height of switch boxes and counter top receptacles from the floor to the box. What size box do you use for the range receptacle? 4-11/16?

The home has I-joists with pre-punched openings. Guess I?d use a hammer to knock them out. Are there any problems with using romex staples in I-joists?

I plan to install a 30/40 space 200 amp SQ D Homeline Service Panel. I looked at the 40 space one and it?s too long . Right choice?

Owner wants about 12 can lights installed. What?s your experience with can lights?

The house has 2 motor operated sky lights. Ill have to find out the load for them

Any other pointers you can think of?
Doesn't sound like you should be doing the work!

Status
Not open for further replies.