what method --driving ground rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Why are we even driving ground rods. If you ask the inspectors in my area all you need is the uefer ground. So why waste time fighting with a ground rod? Before they stopped enforcing ground rods we used a small sledge. Gotta love sand.

Good question

I know here in Indiana Ufers are only required in new construction, and then only if availble. like someone remember to put one in the foundation before the concrete pour, so its not widely inforced, but it is true with a ufer ground rod is no longer required. but in older house upgrades we will be pounding rods for a long time:D

Ohmy

Why are we even driving ground rods. If you ask the inspectors in my area all you need is the uefer ground. So why waste time fighting with a ground rod? Before they stopped enforcing ground rods we used a small sledge. Gotta love sand.

Service changes....of course. How you think these guys afford the fancy tools?

The Iceman

In Florida we use our hands or a hammer. One time I hit the ground rod with a sledge and lost the rod in the ground. :D In California I always used a Hilti.

480sparky

I'll breakout the generator for a service change, but not to drive a ground rod for T-pole.

Drive the rods before you tear the old service apart.
wink1.gif

480sparky

haha....not if a tree got there first. I guess there is always the house next door, but we are trying to be professional and all.

I would have no problem giving the neighbor a 5-spot in order to use 3? worth of electricity in order to save half an hour and my lower back.

Odds are, that's where the HO is getting power from anyway to keep his fridge running.

Ohmy

I would have no problem giving the neighbor a 5-spot in order to use 3? worth of electricity in order to save half an hour and my lower back.

Then your out your lunch money and a workout :)

Generator is the way to go on the services changes through. Powers your batteries, lights, etc. Plus, we have started plugging in the fridge for the home owner (not like anything is going to go bad in a few hours). We get a good reaction from that.

480sparky

Then your out your lunch money and a workout :)

I'm more than compensated for a Lincoln. While you're sweating away, looking forward to getting it through 30" of frost, I'm looking forward to lunch.

Generator is the way to go on the services changes through. Powers your batteries, lights, etc. Plus, we have started plugging in the fridge for the home owner (not like anything is going to go bad in a few hours). We get a good reaction from that.

I never have the power off long enough during a service change for the fridge to be a problem. Unless someone like to stand in front of it with the door open for 10 minutes trying to decide what they want.

Ohmy

I'm more than compensated for a Lincoln. While you're sweating away, looking forward to getting it through 30" of frost, I'm looking forward to lunch.

I never have the power off long enough during a service change for the fridge to be a problem. Unless someone like to stand in front of it with the door open for 10 minutes trying to decide what they want.

I am glad to hear you are well paid for your work. I don't advocate hammers either, just saying they have their place.

220/221

psssst 220, I think that is a sawzall not a demo hammer

No, that's the GRVAD (ground rod vertical adjustment device).

Are you implying that you are cutting off those ground rods without driving them down all the way??

No, never. Sometimes all they have in stock are the 8' 6" rods.

New construction = ufers. Service upgrades = ground rods, if no ufer present. Usually, the rods are driven first thing before POCO disconnects.

Last edited:

daleuger

Ummm ... that's deWalt's version of a cordless SAWZALL! Are you implying that you are cutting off those ground rods without driving them down all the way?? :-?

Only the mushroom head at the very top but it sure beats wailing with a hammer.

vinster888

(G) Rod and Pipe Electrodes. The electrode shall be installed
such that at least 2.44 m (8 ft) of length is in contact
with the soil. It shall be driven to a depth of not less than
2.44 m (8 ft) except that, where rock bottom is encountered,
the electrode shall be driven at an oblique angle not
to exceed 45 degrees from the vertical or, where rock bottom
is encountered
at an angle up to 45 degrees, the electrode
shall be permitted to be buried in a trench that is at
least 750 mm (30 in.) deep. The upper end of the electrode
shall be flush with or below ground level unless the aboveground
end and the grounding electrode conductor attachment
are protected against physical damage as specified in

so the GRVAD is a fully necessary item at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.