480sparky

The only way to fly.

Hilti1.jpg

Hilti4.jpg

Hilti3.jpg

Hilti2.jpg

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
If you have more time than money, you can weld up a fence post driver out of some GRC:D

Ebow

I use a 3 lb. sledge hammer head welded on an 18" piece of 1 1/2" galv. pipe. Slide the pipe over the rod and drop it, sometimes with a little extra force till the handle hits the ground. Then I place a 3/4" galv. nipple with a cap on it and use the sledge to finish the job. Nice and clean with no mushroomed rod end.

Gene

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Bosh hammer drill

Bosh hammer drill

We went through many sledge hammer handles, blisters and just wasted lots of time.
Then we bought a Bosh 30 lb SDS hammer drill & a ground rod bit.

Makes putting in grounds rods the easiest part of the job. Literally bangs in an 8 ft ground rod is 1-2 minutes. Here in rocky NJ that is damn good.

wireguru

theres always the poor man method for powered ground rod diving for those who dont do it enough to justify the expense of a nice sds hammer and the ground rod attachment....

harborfreight sells a SDS rotary hammer for $69. I actually own one and just finished setting a ton of 5/8 readheads in 6in concrete with it. Its no hilti but works suprisingly well. I used a chisel in it with hammer only mode to break up a bunch of concrete to. Buy this, it comes with some bits, choose the ground rod sized one and cut the tip off with a grinder. Get a piece of hose (car heater hose or the like) and clamp it to the end of the ground rod leaving a few in past the end of the rod. Use your SDS with the cut off bit to drive the rod in, the hose keeps the bit lined up with the rod.

Or since the HF sds is only $70, spend another $50 on a ground rod driver..

Yes, its a chinese harborfreight tool, but for $69 it pays for itself in driving just a couple rods. When it breaks, throw it away and get another one. At the price point, there is no excuse to not have one.

bradleyelectric

Yes, its a chinese harborfreight tool, but for $69 it pays for itself in driving just a couple rods. When it breaks, throw it away and get another one. At the price point, there is no excuse to not have one.

Raise your price and buy a real 1 for those times when your not close to Harbor Freight to grab another 1 when this 1 breaks? Na, just act like an electrician and charge enough to put more gas in the van and keep at it.

wireguru

Raise your price and buy a real 1 for those times when your not close to Harbor Freight to grab another 1 when this 1 breaks? Na, just act like an electrician and charge enough to put more gas in the van and keep at it.

I didnt mean it like that, I hate trunk slammers as much as anyone, I am just saying for some guys $600 is a barrier to entry and theyre out there swinging sledgehammers on ladders. If it breaks and theres no harborfreight, you still have your sledgehammer :D

bradleyelectric

I didnt mean it like that, I hate trunk slammers as much as anyone, I am just saying for some guys $600 is a barrier to entry and theyre out there swinging sledgehammers on ladders. If it breaks and theres no harborfreight, you still have your sledgehammer :D

I'm just to old, sore and grumpy for 1 of those sledge hammer thingys. ;)

480sparky

If you only drive 6 or 8 rods a year, you can't justify $1500 for a tool to drive them.

But if $1500 (not $600) is the difference between spending two hours driving a ground rod and two minutes (yes, the Hilti drives 'em that fast!) and you drive 25+ per year, you're nuts not to get one.

I've never spent more than two minutes driving a ground rod with the Hilti.

wireguru

If you only drive 6 or 8 rods a year, you can't justify $1500 for a tool to drive them.

But if $1500 (not $600) is the difference between spending two hours driving a ground rod and two minutes (yes, the Hilti drives 'em that fast!) and you drive 25+ per year, you're nuts not to get one.

I've never spent more than two minutes driving a ground rod with the Hilti.

Right, so for driving a ground rod every other month I would think the HF unit would be suitable. I would say I have put the equivalent of 20-30 ground rods worth of wear on mine, and its still running fine with no noticable problems.

wireguru

nevermind all my ranting about the HF sds...i was thinking someone made a sds plus ground rod driver, but all I could find was sds max :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.