No GFCI breakers, Only Want GFCI Recetacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard about this new house being built. The homeowner apparently want all gfci receptacles. Now don't get me wrong, Im a big supporter of gfci, but they said they do not want the breakers, just the receptcles.

It was explained to them that it would (breakers that is) provide protection of the whole branch circuit, and would most likely be cheaper in the long run instead of buying all gfci receptacles.

They claim they want the 'fault' limited as much as possible to the receptacles only. Oh well, its their MONEY. This is a good size house so Im sure the contractor will make thier money. This homeowner is not an electrician, they just going off of what someone told them. Whats your opinion of this?? Gfci breaker, or receptacles??

TOOL_5150

Just heard about this new house being built. The homeowner apparently want all gfci receptacles. Now don't get me wrong, Im a big supporter of gfci, but they said they do not want the breakers, just the receptcles.

It was explained to them that it would (breakers that is) provide protection of the whole branch circuit, and would most likely be cheaper in the long run instead of buying all gfci receptacles.

They claim they want the 'fault' limited as much as possible to the receptacles only. Oh well, its their MONEY. This is a good size house so Im sure the contractor will make thier money. This homeowner is not an electrician, they just going off of what someone told them. Whats your opinion of this?? Gfci breaker, or receptacles??

I put gfci recepts in all 4 locations in my kitchen to keep everything looking the same. I can definately understand where the homeowner is coming from. I also agree with wanting the gfci not taking down the whole circuit with 1 fault.

~Matt

TOOL_5150

Let me add: I prefer to NOT install gfci recepts in small bathrooms with showers installed - reason behind that is all the steam will affect the recep quicker.

On a side note, are the WR gfci's required in bathrooms, or are those just for outdoors?

~Matt

Let me add: I prefer to NOT install gfci recepts in small bathrooms with showers installed - reason behind that is all the steam will affect the recep quicker.

On a side note, are the WR gfci's required in bathrooms, or are those just for outdoors?

~Matt

I guess you could make an argument for the it being a 'damp' location under 2008 406.8(A) where it MIGHT be required if you interpet that way, but I think that would be strectching it. read 406.8 A and B.

TOOL_5150

I guess you could make an argument for the it being a 'damp' location under 2008 406.8(A) where it MIGHT be required if you interpet that way, but I think that would be strectching it. read 406.8 A and B.

Im in CA, we dont go by the 2008. I was just asking people that have to go by the 2008. But I agree with you, a bathroom being considered a damp location would open a whole new box of worms, now that I think about it.

~Matt

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Are you saying that want GFCI protection on every circuit or just the required circuits?

M. D.

I'll go with ,."they are nuts" please Alex.

I would guess the reason why Bob finds this to be often specified,. is that should there be a little leakage on several items on GFCI breaker they all add up ,..could be enough to trip the breaker . If there is protection at the outlet then only that , which leaks , at that particular outlet will be seen by the ground fault protection circuit.,.. there ,.now did that make any sense?

iwire

Staff member
I think it has to do with both total leakage current and the easy of resetting, almost anyone can figure out how to press reset if they can see it.

Of coarse my experience with this is in commercial not homes, but heck if an HO wants to spend money why fight it. :smile:

480sparky

I'd say they prefer GFI receps for the simple reason it's easier to reset a tripped recep if you're standing right there. Otherwise, you need to make a trip to the panel..... something that may be all that convenient if you're dripping wet from the bath/shower and your panel is outside.

sgunsel

I have added quite a few GFCI receptacles to my 34 year old house over the years in the basement, outdoors, garage, bathrooms, and kitchen. Finally had to replace the GFCI receptacle with a GFCI breaker for the main bath - wife and daughter would accidently, and unknowingly, hit the test button while plugging in hair curlers and such and then complain that they weren't working. The breaker cured that. Never had a "nuisance" trip.

480sparky

I have added quite a few GFCI receptacles to my 34 year old house over the years in the basement, outdoors, garage, bathrooms, and kitchen. Finally had to replace the GFCI receptacle with a GFCI breaker for the main bath - wife and daughter would accidently, and unknowingly, hit the test button while plugging in hair curlers and such and then complain that they weren't working. The breaker cured that. Never had a "nuisance" trip.

You couldn't train them to press the reset button instead?;)

Jim W in Tampa

Personally i would not want to be making 10 or more trips to a panel if it triped. Nothing wrong in the added safety of gfi receptacles. As far as lasting as long as kept dry i see no reason age would affect them. Is added safety with breakers but far less user friendly.

Are you saying that want GFCI protection on every circuit or just the required circuits?
They want EVERY receptacle in the house, the bedroom, living room etc.. to be gfci receptacle. and not a gfci breaker. And yes the reasoning is they do not want the whole breaker to take out the whole circuit and the INCONVIENCE of reseting by walking all the way to the panel. I can see the reasoning in this.

But like I said, its their money, so hey, I say let them pay it like Bob said. Its extra money. Oh i also forgot to mention, They have to be Tamper Resistant too. LOL. so a TR gfci receptacles for all 15 amp ,20 amp 125volt everywhere.

Last edited:

480sparky

They want EVERY receptacle in the house, the bedroom, living room etc.. to be gfci receptacle. and not a gfci breaker. And yes the reasoning is they do not want the whole breaker to take out the whole circuit and the INCONVIENCE of reseting by walking all the way to the panel. I can see the reasoning in this.

But like I said, its their money, so hey, I say let them pay it like Bob said. Its extra money. Oh i also forgot to mention, They have to be Tamper Resistant too. LOL. so a TR gfci receptacles for all 15 amp ,20 amp 125volt everywhere.

money-2.gif

iMuse97

GFCI's only $8.50 more per recept*150=$1275; TR GFCI's only 3$ more per opening*150=450 total to extra for EC=1725. total extra cost to customer, $5-6000 including larger boxes, etc. Nobody dies from lack of GFCI protected recepts=priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.