Sorry guys...my first post will be a question...need help bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Who says you cant'? ;)

Say for instance the sign says "Identified by means of colored tape. Please refer to identification chart below:"
That is fine, but then you have to use colored tape on every conductor...even the ones that are the same color as the tape:grin:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Technically, you can't just say wire color or [marking] tape color. One has to be given priority...

Which has priority is fairly obvious when a wire has no marking tape on it, but if a wire does, which prevails the wire color or the tape color?

e57

Technically, you can't just say wire color or [marking] tape color. One has to be given priority...

Which has priority is fairly obvious when a wire has no marking tape on it, but if a wire does, which prevails the wire color or the tape color?
Sure you can - nothing in the code - you could even say BOTH... But I guess one would not want say black wire with black tape....

Transformer A
WIRE - Tape (denoting system)
Black - Purple
Red - Purple
Blue - Purple
White - Purple

Transformer B
Black - Orange
Red - Orange
Blue - Orange
White - Orange

Transformer C
Black - Yellow
Red - Yellow
Blue - Yellow
White - Yellow

benaround

Sure you can - nothing in the code - you could even say BOTH... But I guess one would not want say black wire with black tape....

Transformer A
Black - Purple
Red - Purple
Blue - Purple
White - Purple

Transformer B
Black - Orange
Red - Orange
Blue - Orange
White - Orange

Transformer C
Black - Yellow
Red - Yellow
Blue - Yellow
White - Yellow

E57,

I don't know anyone who uses different colors of tape on same voltage transformers ?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sure you can - nothing in the code - you could even say BOTH...
I believe you do not understand my point.

Say your "documentation" for a 208/120 3? 4w system is...
Wire color [and add] or marking tape color
L1 (?a) Black
L2 (?b) Red
L3 (?c) Blue
N White​
Now somewhere in the system you have a black wire with red tape on it, as in the OP's case. Yes, even some greenhorn electricians would say it is an L2 conductor... but according to your documentation it could also be a L1 conductor. In order for it to be known specifically and scrutiny-free that it is an L2 conductor, the marking tape must be given priority in the documentation.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
"The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding"

IMO this statement does not specifically exclude using tape as the color, or paint, or anything. In fact it does not specify ANYTHING except color.

So there is no basis for saying that you cannot mix and match various ways to color code the wire.

It is kind of an absurd argument anyway. :)

e57

E57,

I don't know anyone who uses different colors of tape on same voltage transformers ?
Now you do..... But I often get striped conductors for this condition. As in these situations conductors of each same voltage system can find their way into the same gutters and boxes - the code says you need to identify each system - not each voltage.

e57

system you have a black wire with red tape on it, as in the OP's case. Yes, even some greenhorn electricians would say it is an L2 conductor... but according to your documentation it could also be a L1 conductor. In order for it to be known specifically and scrutiny-free that it is an L2 conductor, the marking tape must be given priority in the documentation.
I think the OP got lost here - taping in a situation with a single system, and the example I, and a few other have diverted to signage identifying colors with more than one system.

hurk27

I think the OP got lost here - taping in a situation with a single system, and the example I, and a few other have diverted to signage identifying colors with more than one system.

Actually it is two system's he was talking about, just because it feeds out door lighting, the source of the circuit still has both 480, and 208 systems. see his post in post 23.

I would say 210.5(C) still applies;)

e57

Yes, the building has 120,208, and 277-480 power. But i dont think that matters in my case.

Actually it is two system's he was talking about, just because it feeds out door lighting, the source of the circuit still has both 480, and 208 systems. see his post in post 23.

I would say 210.5(C) still applies;)
Ah yes - you are correct Sir! But you have lost me on 210.5C???

benaround

Now you do..... But I often get striped conductors for this condition. As in these situations conductors of each same voltage system can find their way into the same gutters and boxes - the code says you need to identify each system - not each voltage.

210.5(C) says " --circuits supplied from more than one 'nominal voltage system' --"

I'm not saying the way you do it is wrong or bad, but when a youngster asks a question

like this it's hard for them to know what answer is right, giving them the normal course of

action ( code compliant ) would be more helpful. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.