Wire pulling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a small shop. On occasion we have to pull conductors under ground for new services. Man power is not always available (you can not have too many people when pulling heavier wire). I am wondering if any of you guys has any experience with these wire pulling machines (the type that looks like a 1/2" drill motor is the driving mechanism). I do not want to tie up a large investment. These machines seem reasonably priced.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have used the Maxis 3000X on many ocassions and in my opinoion it's worth the money. Set up is easy, and the enitre system is compact so storage isn't an issue whether you're on a job site or in a van.

3000x-main.jpg

dhamman

We have the Maxxis 3000 the first job we bought it for were 3 - 18 unit 3 story resi bldgs it pulled all those and 3 service feeder runs of 500 kcmil copper to the transformer over 100' long. I figure its paid for.

nakulak

we usually rent tuggers when we need them. someday I'll buy one. (mainly because, being cheap bastards, anything available is often used - lift, backhoe, truck, etc)

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I have used the Maxis 3000X on many occasions and in my opinion it's worth the money. Set up is easy, and the entire system is compact so storage isn't an issue whether you're on a job site or in a van.

3000x-main.jpg

One of my buddies bought one and I have used it a couple of times.

It's everything Rob says it is. :)

Jim W in Tampa

We have the Maxxis 3000 the first job we bought it for were 3 - 18 unit 3 story resi bldgs it pulled all those and 3 service feeder runs of 500 kcmil copper to the transformer over 100' long. I figure its paid for.

Many of the pulls i have been on are far more than 100 feet, some over 2,000. Now if your dealing with 100 feet then it might and should do the job. Actually at 100 feet if wire size and conduit size is right 2 good men should be enough on pulling side. Lot depends on how often you pull wire and under what conditions. I have used sissor lifts , trucks and what ever is available that will work including a 10 ft stick of pipe as leverage. Company i was at had the $8,000 green lee tugger that often was less value than cheaper ones. Everything depends on the job site. Back when i did houses i would push 2 4/0 and a 2/0 alum thru 2 90,s for 60 foot runs in 2 inch with no fish tape.

hardworkingstiff

I've only used the greenlee tuggers. I think they are the cat's meow (for us old folks). For small pulls they are probably overkill, but .....

The thing I like with tuggers over fork lifts, backhoes, etc. is the control you have. You know when your getting into a tough pull (feeders may be having problems) and maybe you should stop (before you get the frantic radio call).

iMuse97

I've only used the greenlee tuggers. I think they are the cat's meow (for us old folks). For small pulls they are probably overkill, but .....

The thing I like with tuggers over fork lifts, backhoes, etc. is the control you have. You know when your getting into a tough pull (feeders may be having problems) and maybe you should stop (before you get the frantic radio call).

The problem with the Greenlee can be how and where to mount the thing. You can almost always rig a way to mount the Maxxis. But if you've got a real tough pull, the Greenlee will do it without destroying itself--and what Lou said: with these tuggers you've got control.

hardworkingstiff

The problem with the Greenlee can be how and where to mount the thing. You can almost always rig a way to mount the Maxxis. But if you've got a real tough pull, the Greenlee will do it without destroying itself--and what Lou said: with these tuggers you've got control.

I own a Greenlee Super Tugger (no wire pulling attachements) I use on pulling W cable out to/on docks. I just wrap the chain for the base around the dock framing and I'm good to go.

I rent an Ultra Tugger when I need to pull THWN in a conduit. The unit comes will all the bells and whistles. Tugger goes on a frame on wheels, boom attachment attaches to the frame and drops in the conduit.

I've been thinking about building a tri-pod with a pulley at the top that I can attach my Super Tugger to a leg of the tri-pod and run the rope up through the pulley and then down into the conduit.

I've never used one, but that Maxis looks like a great machine for smaller pulls.

iMuse97

I own a Greenlee Super Tugger (no wire pulling attachements) I use on pulling W cable out to/on docks. I just wrap the chain for the base around the dock framing and I'm good to go.

I rent an Ultra Tugger when I need to pull THWN in a conduit. The unit comes will all the bells and whistles. Tugger goes on a frame on wheels, boom attachment attaches to the frame and drops in the conduit.

I've been thinking about building a tri-pod with a pulley at the top that I can attach my Super Tugger to a leg of the tri-pod and run the rope up through the pulley and then down into the conduit.

I've never used one, but that Maxis looks like a great machine for smaller pulls.

Good ideas. Thanks. I wasn't much help with suggestions on how to use the Greenlees.

3-D

I have a lot of experience with the Greenly also, nice machine if your not in a tight spot. They have MORE than enough power, sometimes that can cause a problem on smaller runs. Have also used trucks, ones with a true "granny" gear are great for large, long runs.

I like the looks of this new machine, easy to lug, easy to store, and easy to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.