Location of receptacles for gas ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Some disconnects are required to be "accessible".
Accessible can be behind equipment that is not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means, as per the definition in Article 100

Yes.

But I am having a real hard time justifying the existence of 422.33(B) if we can bury a disconnect behind a range.

Gas powered or not if a range has a cord it is 'cord and plug' connected and 422.(B) applies, if there is no drawer to access the disconnecting means then we have to figure out another way to provide the disconnecting means.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I'm doing a quick breakfast before heading to work, so I don't have a code book to look this up. But does an appliance need a local disconnecting means in the first place? I mean that a plug and cord connection certainly does allow for easy disconnection for maintenance, but if the receptacle is hard to get at, why should that matter? I know that motors and HVAC equipment have to have disconnects within sight, and that some exceptions exist for lockable breakers. But does the code have a similar rule for ranges and fridges?

iwire

Staff member
I'm doing a quick breakfast before heading to work, so I don't have a code book to look this up. But does an appliance need a local disconnecting means in the first place?

Yes, 422.30

I mean that a plug and cord connection certainly does allow for easy disconnection for maintenance, but if the receptacle is hard to get at, why should that matter?

It has to be 'accessible' per 422.33(A)

422.33(B) addresses ranges specifically.

M. D.

I installed one of these and the outlet is right where they instruct it to be ,. No breaker lock was installed . the gas connection is flexible so it is accessible to those who would service the range .

iwire

Staff member
I installed one of these and the outlet is right where they instruct it to be ,. No breaker lock was installed . the gas connection is flexible so it is accessible to those who would service the range .

IMO you have a violation.

It does not matter where the instructions say to place the receptacle, your more then free to install the receptacle behind the range but if you also want it to serve as the disconnecting means you have a problem.

Let me ask this, how big or heavy does an appliance have to be before I can not block the disconnecting means with it.

Can I place the disconnecting means for a commercial dishwasher behind it so that the dishwasher has to be removed before the switch can be operated?

I think what we have a here is a section of code that has always worked using a 'common sense' approach but once we really think about it has a lot of holes.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
IMO you have a violation.

It does not matter where the instructions say to place the receptacle, your more then free to install the receptacle behind the range but if you also want it to serve as the disconnecting means you have a problem.

Let me ask this, how big or heavy does an appliance have to be before I can not block the disconnecting means with it.

Can I place the disconnecting means for a commercial dishwasher behind it so that the dishwasher has to be removed before the switch can be operated?

I think what we have a here is a section of code that has always worked using a 'common sense' approach but once we really think about it has a lot of holes.

Bob,
Not to tak the wind out of your sale but the PDF above showes the Gas and electric below. What is the problem here. The cord and gas shut-off will be accessable when you remove the drawer. I do electric ranges like this all the time. What is the problem it is very easy to remove the plug. It's far less likely to be damaged in a cabinet full of pots and stuff.

iwire

Staff member
Bob,
Not to tak the wind out of your sale but the PDF above showes the Gas and electric below. What is the problem here. The cord and gas shut-off will be accessable when you remove the drawer. I do electric ranges like this all the time. What is the problem it is very easy to remove the plug. It's far less likely to be damaged in a cabinet full of pots and stuff.

I have no sails.:grin:

Just talking code here, there are a lot of things done all the time that do in fact violate the NEC.:)

If it was hardwired with flex would you locate a disconnecting switch behind it?

iwire

Staff member
No ..

do you install a breaker lock for the fridge if the receptacle is behind it ?

No ... and yes I think that is a violation.

Now how about an entertainment center?:grin:

I don't think I have all the answers, I think the code is vague here.

If I have an electric range without a drawer the NEC seems to feel the disconnect would not be accessible.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It has to be 'accessible' per 422.33(A)
Thanks for the code articles. But I have to take issue with you on this one, Bob. It says "accessible," not "readily accessible." The definition of "accessible" speaks of being closed in by the structure, not of moving an appliance out of the way.

My gas range uses 120 volt power for the ignitors and the convection fan. It is plug and cord connected to a receptacle with a location similar to that shown in M.D.'s post #50 link. The gas line is long enough and flexible enough to allow the range to be moved completely out of its location, and the cord is long enough also. So I can move the range, walk behind it, and unplug the cord. That counts as "accessible," in my book.

iwire

Staff member
True. But it doesn't say the same thing about gas ranges with 120 volt accessories.

Charlie the logical conclusion is that the CMP felt an electric range is to much to move to reach the disconnecting means.

To say that somehow changes when the appliance is primarily gas seems like a long stretch to me.

If it was hardwired would you locate a disconnecting switch behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.