customers comment on Bid. what the

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Shado~

:mad:
I'm wondering how/why someone would price a 100a service at half of what they would a 200a service. The labor is almost identical, and the parts costs aren't that far apart.

I never price a job by the anything. I'd rather drive there and know about the inevitable snag before I give a price.

I understand now....those $/amp figures were not for bidding, etc...just ballpark averages of past ones. Like in NJ I hear they are getting $2400-$2800for a 200 amp...so that comes out to $12-$14/amp. I was just suprised to see Rio's at $1200 area ($6/amp) and the fact he lost it at that low price.
Like Ishium's....I would be in the $1800-$2000 range for service alone, maybe $1700's if fairly easy. (that makes Rio the undercutter to us, yet, he got beat....so that moves him up to middle man...:D:roll:....JK Rio...;))
So, if in fact, prices are going to be going down the tubes for some time to come....then the average $/amp will to, for ballpark toss out figures.

It's just sad to know that folks leave more $$ on the table now a days. $1000 service upgrade???? Not good to hear.......:mad:

Those figures are only used to caclulate a toss out figure to the shoppers wanting a price over the phone. You know the ones...they tell you they think they need an upgrade and want $$ price over the phone, dont want you to come out and give an accurate one, even after you inform them that it is best to take a look and see if one is really needed, etc.... and if so, it will allow you to give them the best bang for the buck.....

bradleyelectric

So, if in fact, prices are going to be going down the tubes for some time to come....then the average $/amp will to, for ballpark toss out figures.

It's just sad to know that folks leave more $$ on the table now a days. $1000 service upgrade???? Not good to hear.......:mad:

Those figures are only used to caclulate a toss out figure to the shoppers wanting a price over the phone. You know the ones...they tell you they think they need an upgrade and want $$ price over the phone, dont want you to come out and give an accurate one, even after you inform them that it is best to take a look and see if one is really needed, etc.... and if so, it will allow you to give them the best bang for the buck.....

Just because someone is pricing without concern for sound business practices doesn't mean anyone elses has to. If you want to run in the realm of cheap labor that will be all you will get. It may be better to price work at a point worth doing it and if you need to pass up unprofitable work to have the time to work on marketing strategies to get work at a point that would be profitable.

growler

I never price a job by the anything. I'd rather drive there and know about the inevitable snag before I give a price.

Also you have a much better chance of selling the job if you go there in person. Gives a chance to talk about additional work or different options on the up-grade.

If all they want is a quote over the phone then they will call ten contractors to get as cheap a price as possible.

Sparky555

The area economic conditions will change the burdened labor, but usually, not the material or profit figures, so the gross difference will vary from 10 to 20% across the country, and there are some depressed areas, where rates can be much lower, but in those areas the cost of living in that area makes it a wash, when a contractor figures his costs of doing business, the area econimic conditions, and cost of living, is part of setting a rate.

I think you reached a new high with run-on sentence with a boat-load of commas. How the heck are you, old man?

I just got $1700 for a service change where the client provided the panel and breakers. I provided two ground rods and the EGC. I guess I'd be higher for your list.

dexterg

Bid prices

Bid prices

The low ballers and DIY'ers are the ones that keep us in business. You will get to go back and fix everything they screw up some day. Move on and keep your standards high. Don't ev er give it away, it just ruins it for everyone if you do. Nothing wrong with being competitive, set your price be happy. You can get 'em all.

Dnkldorf

[FONT=Arial (W1)] [/FONT]
Re: Service change and misc Electrical
We are pleased to provide pricing for the referenced project as per walk thru on 10/06/2009 and the following.
Inclusions:
  • Replace existing30 circuit FPE split bus service with 200amp Service 40 circuit panel
  • Install new circuit breakers for existing circuits
  • Install new 200amp rated meter housing
  • Install customer provide Motion light at location of Breaker panel
  • Install new circuit and circuit breaker for motion light
  • Install 1 ground rod for main service
  • Install main System ground wire to with in 5 foot of where main water enters house/aprox 50 foot
  • Install 1 outlet let on wall behind bar for TVtapped off exsting outlet directlly below
  • Replace existing outlet(1) on Kitchen counter with GFCI outlet
  • Install new ceiling electrical box aprox 18” from existing box for New Dinning room light
  • Electrical Permit from City of Littleton
  • coordination with Excel Energy for permanent connection of over head lines
  • Onsite and present to meet Electrical Inspector
  • Excludes:
  • any arc fault breakers
  • Any addition items as required by city electrical inspector not related to service
  • Change
  • Interface communication Grounding/ Bonding for communications
  • Purchase of Out side Motion Light and Electrical box for Light
? Due to Fluctuating prices of cooper and steel, the estimated price will be adjusted
? according to prices at time of delivery

? Total price for work as outlined above for Service upgrade Only $1260.00
? Price to install bar outlet $75.00
? Price to replace Kitchen Outlet and add new ceiling box In Dinning room$100.00
? Total Price for all above work $1435.00 Balance due upon completion

If you have any questions or require additional information, please call.

Way too confusing.

powerslave

I just had a similar situation for some work I bid out. I went out to the guys house twice and came down twice on my bid. This all happened in the span of a couple of months. After the second time I lowered my bid he wanted me to lower the labor price by another 25%. I said no but offered to throw in a couple of small jobs for free (hooking up three switches).

Here is his email:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for coming over and taking time to go about what we wanted for lighting. We did find another electrician to do the work that fell well within our budget at this time. If that doesn't go well we'll definitely get in touch with you in the future.

Thanks again,
-- Jimmy

And here is my reply:

Hello Jimmy,

I'm sorry we could not help you with your project at this time. I do understand about working within a budget. For your own safety and peace of mind I do recommend that you check to make sure the other electrician is a licensed electrical contractor and that he is registered with the City of Huntley. You will also want to make sure that he has all of the necessary insurance. Unfortunately there are a lot of illegal side jobbers working in the area both unlicensed and uninsured or under insured. If you ever need any work in the future please don't hesitate to give me a call. Thank you.

I figure just maybe I planted a bug in the guys ear. If the other electrician is legit, so be it. If not maybe "Jimmy" will sweat him a little bit. Who knows.:roll:

marcerrin

$1260? For a service change? Holy crap.

Your materials are at least 500, RIGHT?
I'm assuming you'll be there for 8 hours, right?
Sitting for the inspector will take at least 2 hours out of your day.
Permit will be at least 60.
Permanent connection from the power company costs $250 where I'm from.

500 + 60 + 250 = 810. That leaves you a whopping $450 for the day. Paid over 10 hours with the 8 hour day and 2 hours of inspection. $ 45 an hour without paying any overhead or taxes yet. If this is they way things are heading, we're all in big trouble. Might as well work at McDonalds, at least they'll give you bennies.

M. D.

$1260?

............. If this is they way things are heading, we're all in big trouble. Might as well work at McDonalds, at least they'll give you bennies.

I'd say it's well on it's way to where ever it's going.... McDonalds will only give the bennies if they have too ,. when there is a line out the door for a flipping job they just might stop offering them.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
$1260? For a service change? Holy crap.
Well, maybe. They're not all the same, nor all the same everywhere.

Your materials are at least 500, RIGHT?
I'm assuming you'll be there for 8 hours, right?
Sitting for the inspector will take at least 2 hours out of your day.
Permit will be at least 60.
Permanent connection from the power company costs $250 where I'm from.
Let's see:

No new meter base, indoor 100a MB panel and, say, two 2p and ten 1p breakers, and grounding: $200-ish.

New meter base, indoor 200a MB panel and, say, five 2p and 20 1p breakers, and grounding: $300-ish.

Permit and inspection, including application time, say $150-ish. POCO supplies meter bases free.

No POCO charges for an upgrade, and I've never paid them a penny for anything anyway; that's the customer's baby.

I'm rarely onsite for a residential inspection. So far, that's about $350 to $450 for basic material and permit costs.

For the 100a example, maybe six hours, for the 200a example, maybe eight. Let's say a full day either way.

Of course, there's open wall vs. flush-mounted, whether back-to-back is plausible, whether service cable has to be replaced, etc.

500 + 60 + 250 = 810. That leaves you a whopping $450 for the day. Paid over 10 hours with the 8 hour day and 2 hours of inspection. $ 45 an hour without paying any overhead or taxes yet.
For the 100a service, $1260 (which I agree is still a bit low) would mean about $900 before cost deductions. I'd probably get around $1500 to $1800.

For a 200a as described, I'd probably get about $2200 to $2500, depending again on ancillary work required. If I need a 3R disco and had to snake an SER, we're up to $3000.

There's no set price for anything, except TS time. I can't imagine pricing any service without visiting the jobsite, and maybe a conversation with the POCO for non-residential.

Might as well work at McDonalds, at least they'll give you bennies.
So, that's why the Mickey-D employees are smiling all the time.

marcerrin

Well, maybe. They're not all the same, nor all the same everywhere.

Let's see:

No new meter base, indoor 100a MB panel and, say, two 2p and ten 1p breakers, and grounding: $200-ish.

New meter base, indoor 200a MB panel and, say, five 2p and 20 1p breakers, and grounding: $300-ish.

Permit and inspection, including application time, say $150-ish. POCO supplies meter bases free.

No POCO charges for an upgrade, and I've never paid them a penny for anything anyway; that's the customer's baby.

I'm rarely onsite for a residential inspection. So far, that's about $350 to $450 for basic material and permit costs.

For the 100a example, maybe six hours, for the 200a example, maybe eight. Let's say a full day either way.

Of course, there's open wall vs. flush-mounted, whether back-to-back is plausible, whether service cable has to be replaced, etc.

For the 100a service, $1260 (which I agree is still a bit low) would mean about $900 before cost deductions. I'd probably get around $1500 to $1800.

For a 200a as described, I'd probably get about $2200 to $2500, depending again on ancillary work required. If I need a 3R disco and had to snake an SER, we're up to $3000.

There's no set price for anything, except TS time. I can't imagine pricing any service without visiting the jobsite, and maybe a conversation with the POCO for non-residential.

So, that's why the Mickey-D employees are smiling all the time.

Service change includes meter base and usually mast if he's talking about a POCO connection, your changing the whole service as the OP suggested. Your 100 amp example would be a panel change only. Maybe thats just an east coast/west coast difference of lingo.
Your POCO gives you a meter base for free, or just the meter?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Your POCO gives you a meter base for free, or just the meter?
The base. I've never, ever bought a meter base, single, multi, or CT. They always provide the meters.

Added: I've also never had to install a through-the-roof mast, although I've done plenty of wall risers.

Last edited:

CopperTone

if you can't make good money on a service upgrade then it isn't worth it. I would have quoted around $2400.00 for the service and other work and I would have had 2 guys there for 1 day.
I would have paid about $400 in labor for the 2 guys, $600 in material and permit, which leaves $1400 for the company expenses and profit. If I was one of the guys on the job my labor cost would be only $200 as I own the company. so that would have been $1600 for the company expenses and profit. (of course I pay myself out of the $1600)

You can't sweat not getting this job - let some other stew ball lose money and work for free.

Power Tech

if you can't make good money on a service upgrade then it isn't worth it. I would have quoted around $2400.00 for the service and other work and I would have had 2 guys there for 1 day.
I would have paid about $400 in labor for the 2 guys, $600 in material and permit, which leaves $1400 for the company expenses and profit. If I was one of the guys on the job my labor cost would be only $200 as I own the company. so that would have been $1600 for the company expenses and profit. (of course I pay myself out of the $1600)

You can't sweat not getting this job - let some other stew ball lose money and work for free.

If he works hard he may make $20 hour.;)

Riograndeelectric

around here we supply meter base and riser, wire and terminations. Excel energy will reconnect power at no charge even if this means running a new overhead t6o the house. we do a temp tie in to excell energy and upon final inspection Excell will come otu set a new meter and permenatlly reconnect power lines
the high bider on this job was at $1800.00 I would be happy with $1800.00 for this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.