NM cable through a plastic box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownRiverGUy

What part of 250.148 are you referencing?

I don't see the issue with that installation....:-?

Silly? Yes?

Why you would do that when it'd look nicer/less hassle to just staple next to? I don't know.

But I don't see how it violates any code sections :-?

KP2

I don't see the issue with that installation....:-?

Silly? Yes?

Why you would do that when it'd look nicer/less hassle to just staple next to? I don't know.

But I don't see how it violates any code sections :-?

Then what is the box fill requirment?;)

eprice

In the 2005 NEC, 250.148

I'm guessing MR. S is referring to the part about "any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box, or to the box...". That was the first thing I thought about too, but what are "those circuit conductors" that this section refers to? I think it is the circuit conductors that are spliced within a box or terminate on equipment within the box. The circuit conductors in the continuous NM cable do neither. This section has no requirements for the equipment ground in the continuous NM cable.

eprice

Because the conductors are supported by the box, those circuit conductors shall be spliced or joined within the box.

The section isn't talking about conductors being supported by the box, it is talking about equipment supported by the box and conductors terminated on that equipment.

DownRiverGUy

I agree! I don't see why you would have to terminate the ground.

I will agree that box fill may be a factor depending on the device... but that depends on the device and so as is now there is no viloation.

polarbear78

I must agree with DownRiver Guy. It appears there are no code violation as far as I can see in this picture. I hope DRG continues to post his comments as he seems to be a valued member of this industry.

wireguy8169

How's about?

How's about?

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment
shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

FPN: Accepted industry practices are described in
ANSI/NECA 1-2006, Standard Practices for Good Workmanship
in Electrical Contracting, and other ANSIapproved
installation standards.

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use
of Equipment

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

Never seen this done never would've thought of doing it myself but hey if it works and doesn't violate any code or cause a problem installing a device who am I. I would say it may come under the first reference I made but dont have that available. And the fact that I have never seen it done does not mean its not done properly its not not neat (sorry for the double negative :)). Would like to know if it falls under 110.3 but have never looked at any specs on boxes like that for wire's ran through.
I also dont know the exact cu." but the the two conductors count as one each and the ground would not count, well only one would so it should be ok as is for box fill. What I am trying to say is I dont see any violation, but would be interesting to find out for sure.

480sparky

Maybe it was installed by the same guy who did this:

IMG_1494_edited.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.