Conduit installed on fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steviechia2

I would have to guess that this would be classified as subject to physical abuse? Seeing that this would be moving all the time I would say that you could install RMC or Sched 80 Pvc. Sure will be tough to support!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the conduit can be properly secured to the fence posts, I don't see why not.

Of course, damage and interval requirements apply.

resistance

This should be fun to ask...

Can conduits be installed on and suppoterd by a chain link fence?

EMT?
Rigid?
PVC?

I'm sure you it could be done. I Already see away you could supported it--each pole. I would use RMC (My selection), the distance between supports (based on size) requirements are great, and the overall type of conduit offers good protection. I guess other factors should come into play, if you use any type of equipment. One being: Can the fence support the extra weight....etc etc..

paul

I've did it quite a bit in the past. They put up chain link inside telco buildings for the CoLo's and we had to run PVC on the fabric. We used PVC boxes and screwed them to a 4 sq blank on the opposite side to secure them. Ty wraps were used to secure the conduit to the fabric. Worked like a charm and passed inspection.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
'Rigid installed on top of concrete floor? '

In that thread, others have determined that running rigid, galvanized conduit on the floor and allowing CARS to run it over on a regular basis is an acceptable NEC installation, your conduit on a fence............I will wait until the seasoned members reply.

Last edited:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Let me put it this way:

I am clueless on this install: I have never done it, thought about it, or wish to do it.

As I said it is probably legal, I just want no part of such a project.

Just improvise and it will work:D

iwire

Staff member
'Rigid installed on top of concrete floor? '

In that thread, others have determined that running rigid, galvanized conduit on the floor and allowing CARS to run it over on a regular basis is an acceptable NEC installation, your conduit on a fence............I will wait until the seasoned members reply.

If I recall it was more about the fact that no code rule prohibits it.

e57

I've done this a few times - and after one incident - I make sure to confirm this one caveat if I do.... Who owns the fence?

Fences are not always ON the property line, and may be on one side or the other, and the fence may actually be owned by one property or the other. If this can't be confirmed stay clear of it until it can.

And yes - I too would suggest RMC or EMT...

As for grounding - do you ground struts or other metalic items that conduits are hung on? No - they are effectively grounded by metal conduits, and isolated from non-metalic ones...

jusme123

Occupation
JW
If I recall it was more about the fact that no code rule prohibits it.

Bob, I get what your saying, but I do not think a conduit manufacture is going to stand behind an install where cars run over their conduit on a regular basis, and state, in writing, that is acceptable. I stated that the conductors are not adequately protected and the conduit is not securely fastened.

e57

Bob, I get what your saying, but I do not think a conduit manufacture is going to stand behind an install where cars run over their conduit on a regular basis, and state, in writing, that is acceptable. I stated that the conductors are not adequately protected and the conduit is not securely fastened.
Completely different topic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.