500lb Batteries For UPS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
There are going to be 4 of these batteries to a skid and they will be places on a battery rack. Id the skid is placed next to the battery rack what is used to place/lift these HEAVY batteries on the rack? Thanks

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
There are going to be 4 of these batteries to a skid and they will be places on a battery rack. Id the skid is placed next to the battery rack what is used to place/lift these HEAVY batteries on the rack? Thanks

When you say batteries do you mean a string of individual cells series together to create one battery?
Does each cell weigh 500 pounds or is the strings total weight 500 pounds? I cannot imagine a 500 pound battery for a modern day UPS unless it is really a huge unit with a really long back up time required. Or are you just replacing the string of batteries for an existing UPS?
Do you have a picture or spec sheet?

laketime

When you say batteries do you mean a string of individual cells series together to create one battery?
Does each cell weigh 500 pounds or is the strings total weight 500 pounds? I cannot imagine a 500 pound battery for a modern day UPS unless it is really a huge unit with a really long back up time required. Or are you just replacing the string of batteries for an existing UPS?
Do you have a picture or spec sheet?

I was thinking the same thing:-?

barclayd

in UPS-TALK:
A CELL is a basic unit consisting of an anode and a cathode.
Several cells are combined in a JAR. (A jar is like your car battery)
Numerous jars are arranged in racks and connected together to make a BATTERY.
Some of the big lead-acid jars can weigh close to 500 pounds when full of water.
db

Besoeker

I was thinking the same thing:-?
As was I.
The most recent UPS shipment we made had a number of units. The smaller units had 12 individual batteries, each about 23 kg or about 50lb. Or 600lb total.

Usually, in our case, the battery rack build is done on site. All the parts are supplied including the battery breaker and all interconnecting cables. Except for very small units with short time autonomy, shipping them completely assembled would be a bit of a challenge.

laketime

The larger units I have done we have installed the smaller batteries on site to make a big battery:roll:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've installed jars like these. Usually in a string to get 480 volts. Certain jars like these can weigh in excess of 600#'s.

xtr.jpg

brian john

We use a variety of lifts, BUT for the really big jobs we sub the lifting out.

I'll post the manufacture of the lifts we own tomorrow when I get in.

Thedroid

The manufacturer should provide a spreader specific to the battery, or at least be able to provide guidance in selecting one.

Somebody has it all figured out, just need to find out who.

brian john

The manufacturer should provide a spreader specific to the battery, or at least be able to provide guidance in selecting one.

Somebody has it all figured out, just need to find out who.

I have installed UPS and large telco battery systems for better than 30 years and I know of no one that utilizes the spreaders and shipping straps for setting the jars. THOUGH the straps are excellent for other lifting jobs.

BJ Conner

I have never seen batteries that did not come with extensive installation manuals, including recommendations on how to unpack, rig and move them. Actually I have never installed batteries where the specifications and po did not include all of the above.
IF the terms "Lead Exposure in Construction" and OSHA are new to you, you are in need of serious education.
I have worked on data centers and power plants where tested the level of lead in the blood of the installation crews before and after moving and connecting battery banks.
If your an estimator you should be aware that there is lots of MHs in the job need to comply with safety rules and regs. It ain't like getting a battery at WalMart and sticking it in your Dodge.
IF you ain't reading the manufactures literature and talking with the tech rep your headed for trouble. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.