Conduit on outside of building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Just curious. If there were several conduits running along the outside of a existing building vertical about 8 stories what would be the best method for gainging access to do this work? Scaffolding only? Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There are plenty of bucket trucks and boom lifits with 120'+ sticks. If the conduit is running vertically make sure you look at 300.19

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
All scaffolds over 40' in NYC require design by an architect or engineer and all workers working on a scaffold above 40' are required to be licensed. Keep that in mind if you're looking to work on an 8 story scaffold.

tkb

Just curious. If there were several conduits running along the outside of a existing building vertical about 8 stories what would be the best method for gainging access to do this work? Scaffolding only? Thanks.

Don't forget about conductor support. 300.19

Use a bosun's chair from the roof.

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
All scaffolds over 40' in NYC require design by an architect or engineer and all workers working on a scaffold above 40' are required to be licensed. Keep that in mind if you're looking to work on an 8 story scaffold.

Thanks. I actually heard someone talking about it and I was curious.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I think you are in over your head again.

Nah my good ole pal..just curious about this. I am not working or estimating this in anyway.

Yes I have heard conduits called sticks...when just referring to the conduit without couplings etc. And yes I believe a bolsuns chair is more commonly used in a shaft...am I wrong. You have a wonderful day.....rather night.:grin:

John120/240

Correct you are, a bousuns chair could be used in a shaft. The refrence to "stick"

was made concerning a boom lift. Think of mulitple sections of steel tube that

slide inside each other. There would be a basket attached to the end of the stick.

You can check a manfacturer's web site, such as 'JLG" and others.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Correct you are, a bousuns chair could be used in a shaft. The refrence to "stick"

was made concerning a boom lift. Think of mulitple sections of steel tube that

slide inside each other. There would be a basket attached to the end of the stick.

You can check a manfacturer's web site, such as 'JLG" and others.

Ty very much.

renosteinke

May I ask a silly question?

How do they wash the windows?

A building that size almost certainly already has provisions for mobile scaffolding. Maybe you can work off that.

Status
Not open for further replies.