200 Amp service panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed a pole mounted 200 amp load center/meter enclosure. Plan was to split that into 2 100 amp feeders , 1 for house and one for garage. Load calc. was way under 100 amps for the house size . Have already run #2 aluminum into the basement . Modular home was delivered with a 200 amp panel. My question is Can I still feed it with the #2 wire as long as I am protecting it with the 100 amp Brkr? Thanks for any help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think jumper has the right of it. #2 al is only rated 90a at 75c

550.33(b) allows the feeder to be sized per 310,15(B)(6)

That said, I think it is questionable if one can use a 100 amp feeder to feed the MH if it has a nameplate calling for 200 amp service as noted in 550.11(D).

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Dennis is right. No problem with the installation as described. #2 AL is permitted for 100A service or feeder conductors for the main power feed to an individual dwelling unit (assuming a 120/240v service.)

Edit: Francis beat me to it.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
IF your referring to Table 310.15(B)(6), I believe the wire in question is not a main power feeder since it does not include the garage load, I don't agree the it's a good rule but it is clear enough.

I don't see why the garage load would affect whether its a "main power feeder." If the garage is a separate structure (its not clear in the OP, but I implied a separate structure) then the feeder would supply all the loads that are associated with the dwelling unit.

It ain't a main power feed.

Sure it is. Its meets the definition in 310.15(B)(6) pretty clearly.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, in this case, as mentioned earlier, a wire sized per 310.15(B)(6) is allowable per 550.33(B),
If it were not a modular home I'm afraid you are going to be in an argumentative situation. If one considers the detached garage as "associated with the dwelling" (I happen to say it is), then 310.15(B)(6) could not be used for the dwelling as ALL loads are not included.
I have no doubt it would be accepted by some inspectors who would not consider the garage as "associated load"

Status
Not open for further replies.