One (1) duplex receptacle for disposal and dish washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maghazadeh

As far as I know duplex receptacles are rated for 125V, then how about when electricians use one duplex for dish washer and disposal, and break off the bridge to separate hot portion of each receptacle, then feed it with 12/3 (2 circuits on A, B phases). Now duplex is receiving 240v.
Go ahead please and post yoour thoughts. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A duplex is actually two receptacles so each individual receptacle is only receiving 120 volts.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The question becomes whether splitting the receptacle makes each an individual (single) receptacle and thus requires a 20 amp receptacle. IMO, yes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A MWBC is technically one circuit, so it can be perceived as two receptacles on a single circuit too. Depends on 90.4 on that one, I believe.
I think that is true only where the code mentions that-- like 250.32. If you look at the wording in the 2008 it was change to state a single branch circuit, including a mwbc. The intent was not to have a mwbc considered a single cir. in all cases. IMO..

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system.
I'm just sayin'... :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'm just sayin'... :)
Granted but it still is 2 circuits which IMO means the recep. when split must be 20 amps. In your interpretation if I use a mwbc to feed two single receptacles then I don't need to follow 210.21(B). What feeds the each single receptacle is an individual branch circuit. I get what you are saying but I don't buy it. :p

iwire

Staff member
Granted but it still is 2 circuits which IMO means the recep. when split must be 20 amps. In your interpretation if I use a mwbc to feed two single receptacles then I don't need to follow 210.21(B). What feeds the each single receptacle is an individual branch circuit. I get what you are saying but I don't buy it. :p

I agree with George, per the definition it is one circuit, not just when mentioned.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree with George, per the definition it is one circuit, not just when mentioned.
It is a branch circuit but it is a mwbc so you can't just through out everything that applies to that. If it were one circuit then we wouldn't need handle ties. IMO the same concept is there for the single receptacles. This is not about semantics but what the code states.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Where does the def. say it is one circuit it is a branch circuit but a mwbc which means it has more than one circuit. You can't have it both ways. :happyno:

iwire

Staff member
It is a branch circuit but it is a mwbc so you can't just through out everything that applies to that. If it were one circuit then we wouldn't need handle ties. IMO the same concept is there for the single receptacles.

In your words, 'I am not buying it'

Consider a 10/3 NM supplying an electric dryer. One circuit or two?

Now remove the dryer receptacle and install a 30 amp 120 volt duplex split wired. One circuit or two?

This is not about semantics but what the code states.

The code states in 100 that it is one circuit.

:p

There really is no 'right answer' electrical it is one circuit, in many cases functionally it is two.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system.

210.4 Multiwire Branch Circuits.
(A) General.
Branch circuits recognized by this article shall be permitted as multiwire circuits. A multiwire circuit shall be permitted to be considered as multiple circuits. All conductors of a multiwire branch circuit shall originate from the same panelboard or similar distribution equipment.
Using the the above I agree that the two single receptacles are subject to 210.21(B)(1)

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Wow

Wow

It is a multi wire branch circuit. So? It is no longer a multiwire branch circuit from the duplex to the dishwasher. Then it is a 120 volt branch circuit. The comments regarding 240 volt vs. 120 volts are also not germaine to the issues. It doesn't matter if the 2 phases are split at the receptacle, or in a junction box elsewhere, the electrical exposure issues are the same. Almost every kitchen out there has circuits from both phases in them. Lastly, unless I missed something the 20A receptacle issue is also somewhat misleading. Why would the receptacle need to be a 20 Amp receptacle if the breaker was a 2 pole 15 amp breaker? I didn't see a post where the breaker had to be 20 amps. If these circtuis were dedicated to the loads, not designated as small appliance circuits, couldn't they be 15 amps?

hurk27

It is a multi wire branch circuit. So? It is no longer a multiwire branch circuit from the duplex to the dishwasher. Then it is a 120 volt branch circuit. The comments regarding 240 volt vs. 120 volts are also not germaine to the issues. It doesn't matter if the 2 phases are split at the receptacle, or in a junction box elsewhere, the electrical exposure issues are the same. Almost every kitchen out there has circuits from both phases in them. Lastly, unless I missed something the 20A receptacle issue is also somewhat misleading. Why would the receptacle need to be a 20 Amp receptacle if the breaker was a 2 pole 15 amp breaker? I didn't see a post where the breaker had to be 20 amps. If these circtuis were dedicated to the loads, not designated as small appliance circuits, couldn't they be 15 amps?

If it is fed from 15 amp breakers then I agree, but if you read the OP you will see it says fed with 12/3 so it would be assumed that they are fed with 20 amp breakers, and since each side of the duplex is a single circuit 210.21(B)(1) will require it to be a 20 amp rated receptacle, I have to take Dennis and Rogers side on this one.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Can someone help me by defining "yoke," in the context of a "receptacle," as that term is defined in article 100? Is a yoke the black plastic case that holds the contact devices in position? Or is a yoke the electrical connector that connects the two sets of contact devices together? To be specific, if you "break off the bridge," using the phrase from post #1, did you just take a device that had only one yoke and cause it to have two yokes?

My inclination (and I may be wrong here) is to believe that a duplex receptacle that is split in the manner being discussed still has only one "yoke." Thus, it does not become a set of two "single receptacles," from which I conclude that 210.21(B)(1) does not come into play.

iwire

Staff member
The yoke would be the metal strap that the device is mounted too and in turn is secured to the box.

811ecmCBfig4.jpg

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
grounding_recep.jpg

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.