ground wire clockwise around ground screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Yes, this is a real question! We recently failed an inspection for having the solid #12 ground wire of a MC wrapped counter-clockwise around the 10-32 ground screw to a metal 4"sq box.

I personally agree with the inspector. The problem is I can't find anything to back it up. I've looked in UL, manufacturer intructions, and NEC of course. I was able to find some manufacturer instructions for devices mentioning wrapping the wire clockwise around the terminal screws. Nothing specific to ground screws.

Some may ask, who gives a damn? But common kmowledge tells us when tightening the ground screw, the wire will tend to be pushed out when going the opposing direction. Therefore, by wrapping the wire clockwise you are getting a better more reliable connection.

So, to get to the point. Help me prove it is a code violation to wrap the wire counter-clockwise.

I'm counting on your help and support in this highly important subject.

Minuteman

I'm a one man band, so I can't always be there when I'm inspected, but that's the classic reason why to be there if possible. The average inspector would tell you to fix it and pass it.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, this is a real question! We recently failed an inspection for having the solid #12 ground wire of a MC wrapped counter-clockwise around the 10-32 ground screw to a metal 4"sq box.

I personally agree with the inspector. The problem is I can't find anything to back it up. I've looked in UL, manufacturer intructions, and NEC of course. I was able to find some manufacturer instructions for devices mentioning wrapping the wire clockwise around the terminal screws. Nothing specific to ground screws.

Some may ask, who gives a damn? But common kmowledge tells us when tightening the ground screw, the wire will tend to be pushed out when going the opposing direction. Therefore, by wrapping the wire clockwise you are getting a better more reliable connection.

So, to get to the point. Help me prove it is a code violation to wrap the wire counter-clockwise.

I know this used to be an NEC requirement, but can't find it anywhere in current editions. I know because we had an inspector make us fix this problem before, he had a code section in violation and we checked on it and it was there. This had to be back when we were using 1993 or maybe 1996 NEC. May have to dig them out and see if I can find the section.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

While I agree with your comments, I can't find an NEC violation either. The only related thing I see is 110.14(A) and it is silent on the direction.
Just how close is this inspector looking to catch this?:dunce:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Exhibits are not code.

About the only ode cite would be 110.3(B) assuming the directions to a device specify it.
As far as I know the 10-32 ground screws are not listed products....you can't have 110.3(B) instructions for a product that is not listed:)

iwire

Staff member
As far as I know the 10-32 ground screws are not listed products....you can't have 110.3(B) instructions for a product that is not listed:)

I agree, that is why I said 'assuming the directions to a device specify it'.

I have yet to see a grounding screw or a 10/32 clamp screw come with directions. :)

I

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
110.12 is the only thing that I think that he could hang his hat on. I think that we may agree that workmanlike would be clockwise. That said it is chicken^^^^ to fail someone on this IF the wire is secure.

Rick Christopherson

110.12 is the only thing that I think that he could hang his hat on. I think that we may agree that workmanlike would be clockwise. That said it is chicken^^^^ to fail someone on this IF the wire is secure.
Agreed. However, counterclockwise does not automatically represent a non-workmanlike manner. Once tightened, the screw will hold the wire exactly the same, regardless of the direction of the loop.

The issue is having the loop open up while tightening, not after it is tight. If someone has a preferred method for holding the loop closed while tightening the screw, then loop direction is irrelavent.

Failing an inspection because a wire is not fully clamped by the screw is one thing, but failing it simply by direction is not appropriate. Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in clockwise looping, but this inspector overstepped his authority with a fail that is not within the scope of the NEC (unless local amendment prevails).

On the otherhand, seeing counterclockwise looping would actually be a sign that the rest of the job should be looked at a little closer.....but it is not enough to fail a job.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is that unsafe? No. Code compliant? No.

250.120 Equipment Grounding Conductor Installation.
An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed in
accordance with 250.120(A), (B), and (C).

(A) Raceway, Cable Trays, Cable Armor, Cablebus, or
Cable Sheaths. Where it consists of a raceway, cable tray,
cable armor, cablebus framework, or cable sheath or where
it is a wire within a raceway or cable, it shall be installed in
accordance with the applicable provisions in this Code using
fittings for joints and terminations approved for use
with the type raceway or cable used. All connections,
joints, and fittings shall be made tight using suitable tools.

Now this looks like a single egc but I disagree. Imagine that!

250-s148C-01-UN250-s196web2.jpg

250.146 Connecting Receptacle Grounding Terminal to
Box. An equipment bonding jumper shall be used to connect
the grounding terminal of a grounding-type receptacle
to a grounded box unless grounded as in 250.146(A)
through (D).

250.148(C) Metal Boxes. A connection shall be made between the
one or more equipment grounding conductors and a metal
box by means of a grounding screw that shall be used for
no other purpose
, equipment listed for grounding, or a
listed grounding device.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is that unsafe? No. Code compliant? No.

250.120 Equipment Grounding Conductor Installation.
An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed in
accordance with 250.120(A), (B), and (C).

(A) Raceway, Cable Trays, Cable Armor, Cablebus, or
Cable Sheaths. Where it consists of a raceway, cable tray,
cable armor, cablebus framework, or cable sheath or where
it is a wire within a raceway or cable, it shall be installed in
accordance with the applicable provisions in this Code using
fittings for joints and terminations approved for use
with the type raceway or cable used. All connections,
joints, and fittings shall be made tight using suitable tools.

Now this looks like a single egc but I disagree. Imagine that!

View attachment 7096

250.146 Connecting Receptacle Grounding Terminal to
Box. An equipment bonding jumper shall be used to connect
the grounding terminal of a grounding-type receptacle
to a grounded box unless grounded as in 250.146(A)
through (D).

250.148(C) Metal Boxes. A connection shall be made between the
one or more equipment grounding conductors and a metal
box by means of a grounding screw that shall be used for
no other purpose
, equipment listed for grounding, or a
listed grounding device.

I sure hope you're kidding!

With a single EGC, insultated or not, if you wrap around the bonding screw then to the device you have less chance of a bad connection than using a bunch of pigtails.

Status
Not open for further replies.