ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How do i find the ip address of my laptop. Windows 7.
Long story. I am out in the field and it has changed for some reason & I need to change it back

Not sure how you can change your IP-- it would change based on how you connect to the internet. Different routers and providers have different IP addresses

mike_kilroy

simple to check it and then change it. go to left bottom START button, type CMD into the SEARCH box that shows up....

then enter in the black window that comes up "ipconfig" without the quotes. enter.

it will show u r IP address.

If u dont like it u can go to START button again, click on CONTROL PANEL in right hand list, find NETWORK click, then on left click on change adapter settings and see the network local area connection, go into ip4 and change it. google this stuff for more details.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I'm on a small system, no internet connection, and have always just connected when i plugged in. Three items, an HMI, MICRO 1400, and laptop. Laptop wont talk to either of them without manually changing the other two. Bummer.

Worse i have to sit here and manually turn augers on off until.they are done for day.

cadpoint

• sorry can't edit it fast enough...
open network connection.

Select an active network connection, and then, in the toolbar, click View status of this connection. (You might need to click the chevron to find this command.)

Click Details

Your computer's IP address appears in the Value column, next to IPv4 Address.

Last edited:
Occupation
EC - retired
simple to check it and then change it. go to left bottom START button, type CMD into the SEARCH box that shows up....

then enter in the black window that comes up "ipconfig" without the quotes. enter.

it will show u r IP address.

If u dont like it u can go to START button again, click on CONTROL PANEL in right hand list, find NETWORK click, then on left click on change adapter settings and see the network local area connection, go into ip4 and change it. google this stuff for more details.
:thumbsup:

mike_kilroy

I'm on a small system, no internet connection, and have always just connected when i plugged in. Three items, an HMI, MICRO 1400, and laptop. Laptop wont talk to either of them without manually changing the other two. Bummer.

Worse i have to sit here and manually turn augers on off until.they are done for day.

sounds like u r not into ip addresses and stuff :)

if that laptop CAN be put on the internet, I'd be happy to come into it thru same with you and show u how to do it and why it is messing up for you with a free single use program called 'teamviewer' - we use it at work to go into folks machines all over the world and fix or diagnose their servo and spindle and control systems.... if interested and u can get it on internet, send me private message here and we can work out time to mess with it.

Occupation
EC - retired

if that laptop CAN be put on the internet, I'd be happy to come into it thru same with you and show u how to do it and why it is messing up for you with a free single use program called 'teamviewer' - we use it at work to go into folks machines all over the world and fix or diagnose their servo and spindle and control systems.... if interested and u can get it on internet, send me private message here and we can work out time to mess with it.

I struggle with them that is for sure. Took me 2hrs to think about logging in here via Droid. Typical for me, I had a pretty good idea of what, just not how.

I have to say, this Forum is worth every penny!!:D

iwire

Staff member
Well it's obvious I don't know what I am talking about...:D

For typical network connections your computer is set to 'obtain IP adress automatically' but sometimes when connecting a PC to a specific device you need to tell the pc the ip address

For me this happens when connecting my lap top to a security system DVR for programming.

Once I am done doing that I have to change the setting back to automatic.

kwired

Electron manager
what is fone text fornat? u mean my ham radio cw shorthand? hmmmm.. if consensus is this is bad i will stop :) others?

I think he is complaining about some of the short cuts commonly used to communicate in text messages.

U get used 2 some of them, others have you thinking a long time about just what someone means. People in general are either poor spellers or just plain refuse to proofead what they have entered before sending - that drives me nuts. When I was in school we got grade reductions for improper spelling or grammar in reports, essays and the like. Today they don't seem to care too much about that in most cases. Sad thing is it is so much easier to get it right on the computer than it was when using a typewriter or handwritten projects.

jumper

I think he is complaining about some of the short cuts commonly used to communicate in text messages.

U get used 2 some of them, others have you thinking a long time about just what someone means. People in general are either poor spellers or just plain refuse to proofead what they have entered before sending - that drives me nuts. When I was in school we got grade reductions for improper spelling or grammar in reports, essays and the like. Today they don't seem to care too much about that in most cases. Sad thing is it is so much easier to get it right on the computer than it was when using a typewriter or handwritten projects.

Yes, you summed up my feelings well.

In general, I am very tolerant of grammar, typing and spelling errors, I struggle with English as well, but this "text like" language makes me think of teenagers and such. I try very hard to make my writing clear when posting.

I suppose I am just a grumpy old man.

Status
Not open for further replies.