supplimental GES for disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Hi, I have a manufactured home that the service is more than 30' away. I need to install a disconnect within 30' of the home. My question is if a supplemental GES is required at this disconnect per 2011 NEC?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Hi, I have a manufactured home that the service is more than 30' away. I need to install a disconnect within 30' of the home. My question is if a supplemental GES is required at this disconnect per 2011 NEC?

Why do you 'have' to install a disconnect within 30'? Is this on private property?

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
This is a double wide manufactured home installed in a mobile home park. Article 550 requires it

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Why do you 'have' to install a disconnect within 30'? Is this on private property?

550.32 Service Equipment.
(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment. The mobile home
service equipment shall be located adjacent to the mobile
home and not mounted in or on the mobile home. The
service equipment shall be located in sight from and not
more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile
home it serves. The service equipment shall be permitted to
be located elsewhere on the premises, provided that a disconnecting
means suitable? for use as service equipment is
located within sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft)
from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves and is
rated not less than that required for service equipment per
550.32(C). Grounding at the disconnecting means shall be
in accordance with 250.32.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment. The mobile home
service equipment shall be located adjacent to the mobile
home and not mounted in or on the mobile home. The
service equipment shall be located in sight from and not
more than 9.0 m (30 ft) from the exterior wall of the mobile
home it serves. The service equipment shall be permitted to
be located elsewhere on the premises, provided that a disconnecting
means suitable? for use as service equipment is
located within sight from and not more than 9.0 m (30 ft)
from the exterior wall of the mobile home it serves and is
rated not less than that required for service equipment per
550.32(C). Grounding at the disconnecting means shall be
in accordance with 250.32.
sorry missed the park part!

Last edited:

resistance

I believe manufactured home disconnects are regulated under section 230.70(A)1
-Just to add (Note: Not to say it applies in this case):For the purpose of this Code and unless otherwise indicated, the term mobile home includes manufactured homes.
-In addition: Some Utility companies will require the disconnect to be within 30’. We did over 20 Man Homes like this three years ago. Heres an insert from one of our local utilities:
For manufactured homes, the disconnectingmeans must be within 30’ of the home.This would also affect pole location if thedisconnecting means is on the meter pole.Refer to National Electric Code and WAC 296-46B regarding manufactured homes.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
-Just to add (Note: Not to say it applies in this case):For the purpose of this Code and unless otherwise indicated, the term mobile home includes manufactured homes.
-In addition: Some Utility companies will require the disconnect to be within 30?. We did over 20 Man Homes like this three years ago. Heres an insert from one of our local utilities:
For manufactured homes, the disconnectingmeans must be within 30? of the home.This would also affect pole location if thedisconnecting means is on the meter pole.Refer to National Electric Code and WAC 296-46B regarding manufactured homes.

No 550.1 scope.

Yes to the definition. 550.32 indicates otherwise.

POCO may say things but the AHJ has the final word. Been there done that!

kwired

Electron manager
Mobile home yes. Not a manufactured home (OP) if it meets 550.32(B)

Yes.

-In addition: Some Utility companies will require the disconnect to be within 30?. We did over 20 Man Homes like this three years ago. Heres an insert from one of our local utilities:
For manufactured homes, the disconnectingmeans must be within 30? of the home.This would also affect pole location if thedisconnecting means is on the meter pole.Refer to National Electric Code and WAC 296-46B regarding manufactured homes.
Utility Co needs to keep out of those requirements, and let AHJ take care of them. What if mobile home is on a farm or other large property (even mobile home parks) with multiple buildings or structures. That is where you run into needing disconnect within 30 feet because the service is too far away.

No 550.1 scope.

Yes to the definition. 550.32 indicates otherwise.

POCO may say things but the AHJ has the final word. Been there done that!

When POCO makes requirements that do not comply with NEC AHJ needs to step in and inform them of NEC requirements and they need to make some agreement to get the POCO requirements changed. Now if POCO wants to exceed NEC minimums then AHJ should not have a problem, but occasionally they want us to do things that do not meet NEC minimums.

resistance

Utility Co needs to keep out of those requirements, and let AHJ take care of them. What if mobile home is on a farm or other large property (even mobile home parks) with multiple buildings or structures. That is where you run into needing disconnect within 30 feet because the service is too far away.
I agree, but where does it say you can?t have two disconnects.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Mobile home yes. Not a manufactured home (OP) if it meets 550.32(B)
"On" or "in" the manufactured home is still within 30'. OP says the service is more than30' away.

Just for clarification, mobile homes' disconnects cannot be "on" or "in" them... whereas the disconnect for manufactured homes can be.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment.
(B) Manufactured Home Service Equipment.

This is clearly seperate, (A) applys to mobile homes (B) applys to manufactured homes.

Now read the last part of (B):

Where the service equipment is not installed in or on the
unit, the installation shall comply with the other provisions of
this section.

(A) only applys if (B) is not met (manufactured homes). No 30' in (B).

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Now read (C)

(C) Rating. Mobile home service equipment shall be rated at
not less than 100 amperes at 120/240 volts,

What is missing is "and manufactured home service equipment".
No minimum service for a manufactured home. Is this what they meant? No. Is this what they said? Yes.

Where do I fill out one of them there forms?????:D

Status
Not open for further replies.