AHJ Grounding Electrode Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
JWElectric, you are just being stubborn. First by trying to interject that the code is clear and no one should have any questions, and then to state as fact your answers to all of the questions that other, known, highly competent, posters on this site raise!

If the code was clear we wouldn't have 14 pages on this discussion. For you and one other question, I am the one that raised the question of maintaining electrical continuity of the "metallic water system (s)" Since the code doesn't define a metallic water system, I raised the question of whether each contiguous section of metallic pipe needed to comply with 250.104 (A). Through various posts, especially yours showing the code board opinion, I now see that this was not the intent of the code in their minds. But, since this is not in the code, it is not clear to the average electrician, or inspector without major research.

No matter how much you present your opinions as fact, it doesnpt clarify or especially justify this code section. In a nut shell, if there are numerous sections of metal piping throughout a sturcture, all isolated from each other with nonmetallic sections of piping, which section would one decide was THE "metallic water system" you contend needs to comply with this code section? Unless you are insisting on being stubborn with no desire to actually be helpful here (I absolutely don't believe you don't desire to be helpful), you can see that there can not be only one answer to this question unless all of the various parts are made electrically continuous and that does not appear to be the intent of this code section.

In conlusion, this code section stinks and it doesn't make sense with today's construction standards. In my opinion there is no safety value in bonding any metal portion of a building's water piping with a 250.66 size grounding conductor. A 250.122 size grounding conductor to comly with 250.104(B) would satisfy any safety concerns for any and all sections of water pipe. The only marginal argument there could be for a 250.66 conductor would be when the water pipe is designated a grounding electrode, but I think this is an error, because nothing in the various plumbing codes prevents a plumber from converting the underground metal piping to plastic.

kwired

Electron manager
JWElectric, you are just being stubborn. First by trying to interject that the code is clear and no one should have any questions, and then to state as fact your answers to all of the questions that other, known, highly competent, posters on this site raise!

If the code was clear we wouldn't have 14 pages on this discussion. For you and one other question, I am the one that raised the question of maintaining electrical continuity of the "metallic water system (s)" Since the code doesn't define a metallic water system, I raised the question of whether each contiguous section of metallic pipe needed to comply with 250.104 (A). Through various posts, especially yours showing the code board opinion, I now see that this was not the intent of the code in their minds. But, since this is not in the code, it is not clear to the average electrician, or inspector without major research.

No matter how much you present your opinions as fact, it doesnpt clarify or especially justify this code section. In a nut shell, if there are numerous sections of metal piping throughout a sturcture, all isolated from each other with nonmetallic sections of piping, which section would one decide was THE "metallic water system" you contend needs to comply with this code section? Unless you are insisting on being stubborn with no desire to actually be helpful here (I absolutely don't believe you don't desire to be helpful), you can see that there can not be only one answer to this question unless all of the various parts are made electrically continuous and that does not appear to be the intent of this code section.

In conlusion, this code section stinks and it doesn't make sense with today's construction standards. In my opinion there is no safety value in bonding any metal portion of a building's water piping with a 250.66 size grounding conductor. A 250.122 size grounding conductor to comly with 250.104(B) would satisfy any safety concerns for any and all sections of water pipe. The only marginal argument there could be for a 250.66 conductor would be when the water pipe is designated a grounding electrode, but I think this is an error, because nothing in the various plumbing codes prevents a plumber from converting the underground metal piping to plastic.

Just general information here that can apply to any code section: When it comes to intent of what a part of code was written for, if that intent is not obvious in the final copy that gets published, how can anybody comply with intent? Two different people can liik at same installation and have different ideas of what is compliant and both have valid arguments as to why their idea is the correct one. None of that ever happens on this forum:lol:

In those cases, the content needs re-written to make the intent more obvious, or there will always be controversy in the field. JMO.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
SECTION 601 GENERAL

601.1 Scope.
This chapter shall govern the materials, design and installation of water supply systems within a building, both hot and cold, for utilization in connection with human occupancy and habitation and shall govern the installation of individual water supply systems.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/oh/st/b9v11/st_oh_st_b9v11_6_sec001.htm?bu=OH-P-2011-000004

This is not my opinion. It is clearly stated in the code.

604.2 System interconnection.
At the points of interconnection between the hot and cold water supply piping systems and the individual fixtures, appliances or devices, provisions shall be made to prevent flow between such piping systems.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
PS

Plumbers are required to know this:

601.3 Existing piping used for grounding.
Existing metallic water service piping used for electrical grounding shall not be replaced with nonmetallic pipe or tubing until other approved means of grounding is provided.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
SECTION 601 GENERAL

601.1 Scope.
This chapter shall govern the materials, design and installation of water supply systems within a building, both hot and cold, for utilization in connection with human occupancy and habitation and shall govern the installation of individual water supply systems.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/oh/st/b9v11/st_oh_st_b9v11_6_sec001.htm?bu=OH-P-2011-000004

At the points of interconnection between the hot and cold water supply piping systems and the individual fixtures, appliances or devices, provisions shall be made to prevent flow between such piping systems.

With no sarcasm intended, how does this apply, in your opinion, (or fact if you can provide further documentation) with my question about sections of metal and plastic asked above?

Also, what is your opinion about the safety advantages of 250.66 grounding instead of 250.104 (B) compliance with non, grounding electrode piping?

Lastly, regarding your PS post, in my opinion, that is a lot to ask plumbers. If it stated that no metallice piping shall ever be replaced with copper, that would be less ambiguous but...

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
With no sarcasm intended, how does this apply, in your opinion, (or fact if you can provide further documentation) with my question about sections of metal and plastic asked above?

Also, what is your opinion about the safety advantages of 250.66 grounding instead of 250.104 (B) compliance with non, grounding electrode piping?

Lastly, regarding your PS post, in my opinion, that is a lot to ask plumbers. If it stated that no metallice piping shall ever be replaced with copper, that would be less ambiguous but...

Sacasm is fun. Don't worry I can tell the difference in what people mean. Debating can get heated but all still friends at the end of the day.

The only time that I have seen sections of mixed plumbing materials is in rental or rehabed property. All the more reason to bond these sections.

In normal work I do not see 'sections' of metal piping but if I did I do think that it is required to be bonded.

250.4(A)(4) Bonding of Electrically Conductive Materials and
Other Equipment. Normally non?current-carrying electrically
conductive materials that are likely to become energized
shall be connected together and to the electrical supply
source in a manner that establishes an effective groundfault
current path.

RE .66 and .104 Others smarter than me did the research and made those decisions.

Yes plumbers and others should know their trade.

jwelectric

Mike,
Let me try again...you have hot and cold water systems that are physically, but not electrically connected. Since there is no complete system, is a 250.104(A) bond required? If so what is it connected to? If the 250.104(A) bonding is required for one of the systems, 250.104(B) would be required for the other? What makes one so much different that it requires a bonding jumper sized per 250.66 and the other only required a 250.122 bonding jumper if that other piping is "likely" to become energized?

If I took my meter and checked continuity from the hot to the cold and did not get a reading then I would not install a Table 250.66 bond to anything

jwelectric

SECTION 601 GENERAL

601.1 Scope.

Is there a reason why you skipped over 602.2

602.2 Potable water required.
Only potable water shall be supplied to plumbing fixtures that provide water for drinking, bathing or culinary purposes, or for the processing of food, medical or pharmaceutical products. Unless otherwise provided in this code, potable water shall be supplied to all plumbing fixtures.

Will this potable water that is only allowed to supply these fixtures be hot and cold?

Are you saying that you require the electrical contractor to install a bonding jumper from the cold to the hot pipe at a water heater?

Bonding from the cold to the hot water pipe at a water heater is a violation of 250.104(A)(1). Read this section carefully.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If I took my meter and checked continuity from the hot to the cold and did not get a reading then I would not install a Table 250.66 bond to anything
So if the hot and cold water piping systems are not electricallly connected, then we don't have a metal water piping system?

jwelectric

JWElectric, you are just being stubborn.
First let me be very clear that I am not injecting my opinion. What I have quoted is the opinion of the code panel that writes this section of the code.
Given a choice to believe either those who post here or those who are charged with writing the code which do you believe I will listen to?

I have never denied being stubborn.

There are many of the old timers (I am 61 years old myself) that have sold their self on the bonding of the cold to the hot at a water heater. To do this in the context of bonding two separate systems is a violation of the very code they claim requires this nonsense.

Read 250.104(A)(1) real carefully and then post just where any metal piping system is required to be bonded to. I bet it is not across a water heater like some here would lead people to believe.

jwelectric

So if the hot and cold water piping systems are not electricallly connected, then we don't have a metal water piping system?
I don?t know what you mean electrically connected. The code panel was very clear that if the system is not a complete metal system then drop down to (B).

Something about the laws of physics says that if the system is a complete metal system then there would be continuity from any point on the system to any other point on the system. Should there not be continuity from any point on the system to any other point on the system there must be something nonmetallic in there somewhere and this would then be an integrated system.

Then there is the belief that the cold is one system and the hot is another system but the plumbing code says that only one system can be connected to my kitchen sink, the potable water system.

George got this cleared up a little with his proposal about having a system that had 25 feet of metal and something else.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Well there you go............... now bond by 250.104(B)

Being that the heater is the only thing likely to be energized the equipment grounding conductor has the bonding covered.

Great we are getting closer.

"Being that the heater is the only thing likely to be energized the equipment grounding conductor has the bonding covered"

Now what if it is a gas water heater? No EGC. Now what? But that's OK because it is probably isolated.

Since the water heater, softeners, meters, faucets, and whatever isolate the hot side, I'll call it the hot side since it is part of a system, is the cold side only to be bonded?

(B) VS (A). It is either metal water piping or it is not. You can not switch back and forth to fit your argument. Tell me is the hot water side fall under (A) or (B).

If (B) it is not part of the 'potable' system. If it is 'potable' then (A) applies. Unless potable water is not water!

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
First let me be very clear that I am not injecting my opinion. What I have quoted is the opinion of the code panel that writes this section of the code.
Given a choice to believe either those who post here or those who are charged with writing the code which do you believe I will listen to?

I have never denied being stubborn.

There are many of the old timers (I am 61 years old myself) that have sold their self on the bonding of the cold to the hot at a water heater. To do this in the context of bonding two separate systems is a violation of the very code they claim requires this nonsense.

Read 250.104(A)(1) real carefully and then post just where any metal piping system is required to be bonded to. I bet it is not across a water heater like some here would lead people to believe.

OK. If I understand where you are going 'that' bond needs to go back to:

(1) General. Metal water piping system(s) installed in or
attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the
service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the
service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient
size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used.

The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with Table
250.66 except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and (A)(3).

I need to think about this. Good point.

PS who asked if this was confusing?????

Status
Not open for further replies.