dining room circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A new circuit strictly for the dining room is considered SABC?
The way I view things, and I have said so on another thread recently, as soon as you connect one dining room wall receptacle outlet on that circuit, you cause the circuit to become an SABC. Having done that, you must follow all the related rules, such as the circuit must be rated at 20 amps and it can supply no outlets other than the ones on "the list."

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
There has to be a minimum, and the NEC is pretty good at where it stands... if you want to wire a house all in #12 in case someone by chance plugs a space heater in, then go for it! ;) :D I generally let the heating contractor take care of that end of business.

I agree........It's just sometimes I get too wrapped up in the logic of it all. I guess it's just the anarchist in me;)........I enjoy everyones' opinion:)

stickboy1375

I agree........It's just sometimes I get too wrapped up in the logic of it all. I guess it's just the anarchist in me;)........I enjoy everyones' opinion:)

I know, we could throw in what if's all day.... but, thats where being a good contractor to your client comes in, to foresee some of these issues and to resolve them before its an issue, Or to resolve the unseen after the issue arises... It's how we make money and stay in business.

kwired

Electron manager
I understand but using that theory, why not require all receptacle circuits to 20A in case someone plugs in a portable space heater? I'll bet your dining room activities are in the vast minority of people with dining rooms. All I'm saying is the kitchen is by far the most common place where SA's are used.

Space heater or no space heater I don't think it will make one bit of difference by requiring the receptacles to be 20 amp receptacles. You will not find many (if any) portable space heaters intended for household use with a 20 amp cord cap. If you have same number of outlets and same 20 amp breaker you can still plug in same combinations of loads if they all have 15 amp cord caps on them.

The heaters that are load killers on branch circuits are the ones that claim they can not start a fire, are usually in an "attractive" oak cabinet, and "use no more energy than a 'Mr Coffee'". What they don't tell you is that most people that use a "Mr Coffee, do not brew coffee all day long, as there would be a noticeable difference in energy used if you did that vs. just a pot or two every day. And don't believe they can't start a fire, I have replaced more than a few melted cord caps/receptacles on these units, 1500 watts through a poor connecting receptacle doesn't care what is at the other end of the cord it is going to get hot anyway.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Space heater or no space heater I don't think it will make one bit of difference by requiring the receptacles to be 20 amp receptacles. You will not find many (if any) portable space heaters intended for household use with a 20 amp cord cap. If you have same number of outlets and same 20 amp breaker you can still plug in same combinations of loads if they all have 15 amp cord caps on them.

The heaters that are load killers on branch circuits are the ones that claim they can not start a fire, are usually in an "attractive" oak cabinet, and "use no more energy than a 'Mr Coffee'". What they don't tell you is that most people that use a "Mr Coffee, do not brew coffee all day long, as there would be a noticeable difference in energy used if you did that vs. just a pot or two every day. And don't believe they can't start a fire, I have replaced more than a few melted cord caps/receptacles on these units, 1500 watts through a poor connecting receptacle doesn't care what is at the other end of the cord it is going to get hot anyway.

Great! Now you got me thinking of window ACs! LOL!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am not trying to be sarcastic, but is there a portable window AC unit? If it is in the window then it has to be fastened. Am I not correct?

There is a requirement for fastened in place equipment to load the branch circuit to only 50% that's why I mentioned it. So you could have you window A/C in the dining room plugged into the SABC. The tricky part is determine whether or not it qualifies as fastened in place which is not defined by the NEC. If it's not considered fastened in place then the 50% requirement is not applicable.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
So you honestly think I would tell a client that they cant plug a window unit into a receptacle? :happyno: I don't think so.

Please do not try to guess what I think. I simply answered the question who cares.

Would it make any difference to you if a home had one AC in each of two bedrooms on a 15 AMP circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.