dining room circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershock

Haven't been called on what? The dining room must be served by a SABC... it can be off the kitchen SABC, or a separate 20 amp circuit, but that circuit can't stray off of the requirements of 210.52(B)(1) & (2)
I have been treating the dining room as if it were a living room for the past 13 years and have never been called on it.

kwired

Electron manager
Can I have a room outside? Please note is says "of" a dwelling not 'in'.

I see no reason why you can't have a room outside. I also think if you want it to be a "room" then the applicable part of 210.52 needs applied for receptacle spacing, possibly need to provide AFCI, and likely need to provide GFCI since it is outdoors, it also probably should require a wall switched lighting outlet - You have opened something up here that needs its own thread.

Should permits be pulled when installing fixed equipment? Here yes. I do not know about Hooterville.

As to the frig or freezer. Can you just buy on and plug it in? Yes.

If it trips breakers should you add a circuit? Yes. Permit required? Here yes.

Would it need to be GFCI protected? In the above example yes.

As a responsible electrical contractor you would try to explain this (why and how things should be done) to your clients.

We are discussing what is required and not our personal feelings. Correct?
Replace "frig or freezer" in your first sentence here with window A/C, dehumidifier, portable space heater, vacuum cleaner, computer equipment, audio video equipment, the list can go on forever, and I still agree with most of what you said. If owner/user buys equipment and there is a place it will plug into and work so what - happens all the time. If they add some equipment, begin to overload circuit with it, and call an electrician then it becomes the electricians job to do whatever he does according to codes. If local laws require a permit then it is his responsibility to file them. Not all places will require a permit to add this receptacle, does not mean the NEC still doesn't apply though, if someone is injured or killed and they find you did not follow codes, you will have a lawsuit on your hands, even if no permit was requiered.

I don't know what you are getting at with the GFCI requirement unless I am not aware of the location you are specifying, I thought we were talking about dining room receptacles. AFCI would be required in the dining room.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Can you add a refirgerator or freezer in the garage or basement and not install new wiring to supply it?

I don't know what you are getting at with the GFCI requirement unless I am not aware of the location you are specifying, I thought we were talking about dining room receptacles. AFCI would be required in the dining room.

That was the GFCI reference.

kwired

Electron manager
That was the GFCI reference.
What about it? We are still talking about owner/occupant acquiring an appliance and just plugging in to whatever receptacles are existing in the area they wish to use it. There may or may not be GFCI in the location, but that is a different topic.

Cavie

Um . . . that makes no sense. A bigger house would typically have a bigger kitchen, which would make using the dining room outlets less likely than in a condo that has limited kitchen counter space.

Wrong oh wise one. Stickboy is correct. Hot trays and steem tables are the norm in the maga mansion diningrooms during partys. You and me?? no problem. Only one of my dining outlets is used by the china cab light and that never gets turned on. House is 22 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.