210.12(B)(2) -- Where's the 1st Receptacle Outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the "general statement of (B)" used the word "if" or "when" instead of "where" I'd be more inclined to agree with you, ...
I can see your point, but I believe you are ignoring a major factor from your interpretation. The general statement of (B) starts, "In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A)". The phrase, "where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended" is then set apart from the main sentence by commas. So the main sentence is, "In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A) the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:" The "where" phrase only sets the condition for which the main sentence applies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
So, think about a specific case and apply 210.12(B), such as:

An existing Hallway receptacle is chosen as the beginning point for a new branch circuit extension fished up the wall for a line powered smoke / CO detector.

This "extension" is in an area specified in 210.12(A), and, where the existing branch circuit is extended on has the "first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit."

All the conditions of the complete 210.12(B)(2) are met by placing a OBC AFCI receptacle connected in a feed thru configuration at the hallway existing receptacle location.

My point is that there is no way to say my interpretation, or your interpretation, are "wrong". My point is that your interpretation and my interpretation are both correct to the words used in 210.12(B)(2).

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Without a doubt, the requirement is poorly worded.
I submit this wording is a stroke of genius.

(B)(2) does not create a conflict with (A) or (B)(1) and allows the installation of the OBC AFCI at any of several locations.

And when you and I bid on the installation of that smoke / CO detector, I'm going to get the work 'cause I can expect the OBC AFCI at the hallway receptacle that protects only my newly installed wiring will not have nuisance tripping I caused, and I don't have to leave an AFCI protecting legacy wiring of unknown provenance. If the customer reports tripping I can sincerely explain the additional fees it will take to uncover the arcing series fault most likely indicated.

Initially the homeowner gets a reasonable price to install the detector and gets an additional new fangled safety device (the OBC AFCI) to boot.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I finally took the time today to completely read the instructions packaged with the Leviton AFTR1 and what do I find but a 110.3(B) conflict with 210(B)(2).

LevitonOBCAFCIInstructionsweb_zps78a2c6b7.jpg

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I can see your point, but I believe you are ignoring a major factor from your interpretation. The general statement of (B) starts, "In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A)". The phrase, "where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended" is then set apart from the main sentence by commas. So the main sentence is, "In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A) the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:" The "where" phrase only sets the condition for which the main sentence applies.
And I can see your point. When one uses the first clause of 210.12(B) then I can see that the "first receptacle outlet" could well be only inside any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), which could be interpreted to mean that the OBC AFCI can't be installed in areas that are NOT specified in 210.12(A).

So. . . in the case of the panel being in the attached garage, and the branch circuit being for the bedrooms on the far end of the house, and the branch circuit is routed through the garage, the kitchen, the bathroom, the laundry, and then enters the bedroom, that branch circuit can't pick up any outlets along the way and the OBC AFCI must be in the bedroom.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And I can see your point. When one uses the first clause of 210.12(B) then I can see that the "first receptacle outlet" could well be only inside any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), which could be interpreted to mean that the OBC AFCI can't be installed in areas that are NOT specified in 210.12(A).

So. . . in the case of the panel being in the attached garage, and the branch circuit being for the bedrooms on the far end of the house, and the branch circuit is routed through the garage, the kitchen, the bathroom, the laundry, and then enters the bedroom, that branch circuit can't pick up any outlets along the way and the OBC AFCI must be in the bedroom.
"Can't" may be a bit strong for the intent. The branch circuit can provide other outlets in non-specified areas... though many of those areas may not be permitted to be served by receptacle outlets on the same the branch circuit. For example, you referred to a kitchen, in which all receptacles under 210.52(B) cannot be on a branch circuit serving receptacle outlets in areas other than specified in 210.52(B)(1). A better example might be one or more outlets in the garage and an unfinished basement, in addition to outlets in the bedroom.

I understand the nuances involved. The first receptacle outlet may not protect all other outlets on that branch circuit in the specified areas, and may even result in unnecessarily protecting outlets in other areas. But it says what it says... :rant::happyyes:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
But it says what it says... :rant::happyyes:
So then we add the 110.3 requirement to follow any instructions and, when looking at the Leviton AFTR instruction sheet (see post #45) we are further restricted to the broadest term "outlet", irrespective of lighting or receptacle or direct connection. When the first outlet (closest to the OCPD) of the existing branch circuit is a lighting outlet . . . well . . . it just creates a snarl of interpretations.

I work in an area that has a lot of 1930s thru 1970s housing stock that is wired with raceway (flex, conduit and armored cable). It is common to find multiwire branch circuits strung through several lighting outlets, such as the one I'm working on right now. OCPD (fuses) to kitchen ceiling light to central hallway light, all multiwire with a few taps. Then, at the hallway, the multiwire ends, splitting into two two-wire branch circuits. I'd like to add a paddlefan as an extension to one two-wire branch and, if adding the Leviton OBC AFCI, I have to put it at the kitchen ceiling fixture. . . by 110.3 ("first outlet") and 210.12(B)(2) ("of the existing branch circuit").

peter d

Hi Peter.

How, and where, are the AFCI receptacles being installed in your area? What are the inspectors requiring?

AFAIK, there is no AFCI receptacle even locally available yet. I have yet to see one myself. All AFCI protection is done with breakers.

As for inspectors, they pretty much make up the rules as they go along around here so I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
AFAIK, there is no AFCI receptacle even locally available yet.
Check out your suppliers that carry Leviton. I've had the device on my truck as stock since November. I get mine at Graybar. $26 plus tax.

peter d

Check out your suppliers that carry Leviton. I've had the device on my truck as stock since November. I get mine at Graybar. $26 plus tax.

Thanks, I avoid Graybar like the plague so maybe that's why I haven't seen any yet. :lol: That said, all my main suppliers stock Leviton as their main line and they don't carry them. :blink:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
So then we add the 110.3 requirement to follow any instructions and, when looking at the Leviton AFTR instruction sheet (see post #45) we are further restricted to the broadest term "outlet", irrespective of lighting or receptacle or direct connection. When the first outlet (closest to the OCPD) of the existing branch circuit is a lighting outlet . . . well . . . it just creates a snarl of interpretations.

I work in an area that has a lot of 1930s thru 1970s housing stock that is wired with raceway (flex, conduit and armored cable). It is common to find multiwire branch circuits strung through several lighting outlets, such as the one I'm working on right now. OCPD (fuses) to kitchen ceiling light to central hallway light, all multiwire with a few taps. Then, at the hallway, the multiwire ends, splitting into two two-wire branch circuits. I'd like to add a paddlefan as an extension to one two-wire branch and, if adding the Leviton OBC AFCI, I have to put it at the kitchen ceiling fixture. . . by 110.3 ("first outlet") and 210.12(B)(2) ("of the existing branch circuit").
I would look at it like this... the instructions are for wiring a new branch circuit. The circuit you are working on, as described, has no receptacle outlets... so you can't install an AFTR. You'd have to use a breaker, which presents it's own problems for MWBC's. Or you'd have to modify the branch circuit to include a receptacle outlet somewhere.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Or you'd have to modify the branch circuit to include a receptacle outlet somewhere.
And there it is. Modifying the branch circuit is already happening as I add the last lighting outlet, so, including a OBC AFCI at the first receptacle outlet on the modification protects the new lighting outlet.

Using the OBC AFCI to protect the modification, only is the economical approach compared with the difficulty fuses and a multiwire homerun present.

The IAEI, in their Analysis of Changes of the 2011 NEC agrees with this:

210_12_B_IAEIAnalysisChangesGraphic_zps1f33df15.jpg

The IAEI accompanying explanatory text describes this type of modification exactly.

210_12_B_IAEIAnalysisChangesTextPg1_zps4667f8bb.jpg

210_12_B_IAEIAnalysisChangesTextPg2_zps8a7d5035.jpg

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And there it is. Modifying the branch circuit is already happening as I add the last lighting outlet, so, including a OBC AFCI at the first receptacle outlet on the modification protects the new lighting outlet. ...
I agree as long as there is no receptacle outlet on the supply side of where the modification is supplied.

Status
Not open for further replies.