Rental fee for temp power

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I think i would charge them $1000 up front and $200 a month. To me this situation seems like something with no real upside unless you have a bunch of them going on.

My numbers are pretty much made up. I was just giving an example of how I would go about it.

I think both of us have priced ourselves out of the work but that's OK, I don't think either of us wants to do it for the fun of it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My numbers are pretty much made up. I was just giving an example of how I would go about it.

I think both of us have priced ourselves out of the work but that's OK, I don't think either of us wants to do it for the fun of it.

I was using your numbers. To me this is a risky thing to become involved in as a one up project. If it is something where you have 50 of them going on at the same time, the risk of losing money on any one project is made up for by the profit from the other 49.

There are enough things that can go wrong on something like this that it seems better to get your money up front if possible rather than relying on the contractor actually paying you every month, and being able to accurately determine what your costs are actually going to be.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I was using your numbers. To me this is a risky thing to become involved in as a one up project. If it is something where you have 50 of them going on at the same time, the risk of losing money on any one project is made up for by the profit from the other 49.

There are enough things that can go wrong on something like this that it seems better to get your money up front if possible rather than relying on the contractor actually paying you every month, and being able to accurately determine what your costs are actually going to be.
Part of this is the familiar problem that comes up whenever you take on a new line of business. You can either try to get your startup costs from your first customer or come up with the money in advance knowing that you will keep on doing that kind of work profitably.

I^2R

In the rare cases this comes up, our price is whatever it would be to construct the service, pull the permit, whatever. Install it and walk away, you own it, my liability and maintenance headache is done.
If we get the equipment back at the end, then bonus, but I don't expect to. We will disconnect for free in exchange for the equipment.
There is a reason that the fine print on the back of a equipment rental form is so long, it's a legal nightmare. The other thing is that rental companies insure themselves for that exposure, you may not.
If it's a job that we are doing the building wiring then the temp is included in our scope anyway.

tshea

I did not see who was paying for the electricity usage!
Make sure you EXPLICITLY state that the KWH usage is by the customer and not YOU!

I have several temp services left over from jobs. All are paid for more than once. Build it, bill it as a T&M or flat rate.

stevenje

So why isn't the EC that is wiring the house providing temp power?

The homeowner hired a company that is a fast tract low buck home builder. They only build the house. They do nothing else. No utilities, no temp power, no port-a-potty, nothing else. The home owner is responsible for it all. I gave him a price on setting the temp, but apparently I wasn't the fast track low buck temp power "put-er-in-er" he was looking for.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
The homeowner hired a company that is a fast tract low buck home builder. They only build the house. They do nothing else. No utilities, no temp power, no port-a-potty, nothing else. The home owner is responsible for it all. I gave him a price on setting the temp, but apparently I wasn't the fast track low buck temp power "put-er-in-er" he was looking for.

Bottom line is you didn't lose any money on that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.