15 amp circiuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

If you ever where in the military being out of step is not walking faster than everyone else. It is leading with the right foot when everyone else is leading with the left foot. Cadence are called out left right left, not right left right.

You are correct that a receptacle is a device and a switch is a devise.

A receptacle is a contact device and a switch is a switch devise.

The NEC Knows that the definition for device does not include automatically a point in which utilization equipment receives current from a building wiring system.

And outlet is the last point in the circuit the point in which utilization equipment is supplied current from the building wiring system (branch Circuit)
Except the fact that the NEC went further and defined the receptacle device when connected to a building wiring outlet as a receptacle outlet.

Current does not leave the building wiring system to supply utilization equipment at the swath devise it continues to the final outlet that is the supply point to the utilization equipment.

Finally yes your example of a disconnect for a AC unit with a Knife switch certainly can be defined as an outlet.

Not always the last point but in this thread the last point in the circuit.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
No it's not.

Read the ROP again, receptacles are not in question, they are already defined as "Receptacle Outlets".

Roger

Where?

Substantiation: There are situations where a light switch is installed in a
bedroom to control an exterior light. The branch circuit supplying the exterior
lighting outlet is not supplying an outlet in the bedroom, therefore, the
conductors installed from the switch to the exterior light would not require
AFCI protection.

Doesn't say that no outlet is present it just says no outlet is being supplied. I disagree. Maybe someday others will agree until then chill out. We are just discussing the code.

david

mike it is saying that there is a lighting outlet supplied from the branch circuit. It states that outlet is exterior

it states that the switch is located in the bedroom. it states their is no outlet for this branch circuit in the bedroom

I only bumped into this thread because you referenced it in one I was following on the NEC forum so I am bumping back out

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Wenty4

15 amp circuits

15 amp circuits

Section 210.21(B)(1) applies: [A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.]

Wenty4

15 amp circiuts

Section 210.21(B)(1) states: A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating of not less than that of the branch circuit. Granted this receptacle in question is a duplex but I would still apply this section.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To try and get back on topic here is the OP:

can you install a20amp gfci on a 15 a circuit for a garbage disposal

The first few responses were correct and the thread could have ended there. If the GFCI receptalce in the OP is a single receptacle then it is not required to be 15 amps, it could be 15, 20, 30, 50 amps etc.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Mike I have shown you the definition from article 100 and still you continue to troll.

Roger

Troll here!

I was right and backed down.

You can never put a single 20 AMP receptacle on a circuit because Table 210.21(B)(3) prohibits it.

The table applies to ALL of 210.21(B).

210.21b.JPG

You can put a single 15 AMP receptacle on a 20 AMP branch circuit ONLY if there are two or more receptacles or outlets.

(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit
supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle
ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table
210.21(B)(3), or, where rated higher than 50 amperes, the
receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit
rating.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm old and even in all those years I have met very few men who, when they find themselves in a hole, just keep diggin:

The Table you show is 210.21(B)(2) which is referenced by:
(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord-and-plug-connected load in excess of the maximum specified in Table 210.21(B)(2).

count.. 1 is one, 2 or more is more than one.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Troll here!

You can never put a single 20 AMP receptacle on a circuit because Table 210.21(B)(3) prohibits it.

View attachment 9847

You can put a single 15 AMP receptacle on a 20 AMP branch circuit ONLY if there are two or more receptacles or outlets.

(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit
supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle
ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table
210.21(B)(3), or, where rated higher than 50 amperes, the
receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit
rating.

I'm sorry Mike but your argument is bordering on pathetic and you seem to be the only one that can't see it.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm old and even in all those years I have met very few men who, when they find themselves in a hole, just keep diggin:

The Table you show is 210.21(B)(2) which is referenced by:
(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord-and-plug-connected load in excess of the maximum specified in Table 210.21(B)(2).

count.. 1 is one, 2 or more is more than one.

And yet, the table itself refers to the maximum receptacle rating, rather than the connected load on that receptacle.

Some parts of the Code just do not stand up to examination at this level of detail. :(

As I understand Jewish tradition, the Torah (Code) is in the superior position, but the Talmud (Handbook) is still enforceable. :)

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Troll here!

This is getting rather silly. Table 210.21(B)(3) applies ONLY to section 210.21(B)(3), where it is referenced, not to all of 210.21(B). It applies only where a receptacle is connected to a branch circuit supplying TWO or MORE receptacles or outlets.

210.21(B)(1) says that a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than the branch circuit rating. You can put a single 20A receptacle on a 15A individual branch circuit or you can put a single 20A receptacle on a 20A individual branch circuit.

Last edited:

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
And yet, the table itself refers to the maximum receptacle rating, rather than the connected load on that receptacle.

Table 210.21(B)(2) refers to maximum cord-and-plug connected load...

Table 210.21(B)(3) refer to receptacle ratings for various branch circuit sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.