So much for the super beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If you guys will take a look at the "new" super beast in the link provided by Mivey you will see they are still useing tha 0-150 volt analog meters.

The basic product has been around for 30 years and in that time digital meters would have been cheaper to buy so why did the engineers decide to use analog?

The product has been used by power companies all over the nation with good results. As they say the proof is in the pudding.
One advantage of an analog meter is the ability to catch fluctuations by watching meter movement. If you have a sudden rise or fall but then return to about where you started that needle is likely going to give significant movement, some digital meters may show some change in readout but may not have fast enough response time to give you a good idea of really happened, now the analog may not respond fast enough to give accurate reading in real time but is still going to show more fluctuation than many digital meters may show for the same event.

Am I wrong in looking at it like the transformer has about the same capacity as a 10kW portable generator?

Or am I missing something?
Some have hit this, but to sum it up, the supply to a POCO transformer is more stout than the engine supplying a small generator. Couple the same generator to a larger engine and you bring the performance closer to what you would get from a POCO supply, but remember their generators are not in the kVA range they are in the MVA ranges. Adding a 5kVA load will result in much more of a voltage sag when the prime mover is only sized to drive 10kVA than it will when 5kVA is added to a 2MVA generator.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Absolutely

Absolutely

The blunt truth is the electronics in a lot of appliances are complete garbage. They fail ALL the time even under none abusive conditions. Ive lived in many different houses, and over the years almost everything with electronics eventually loses a control board at some time. Some things like microwave ovens I have had luck with, but Ive had dishwashers, ovens, water softeners that would eat control boards even under warrantee. Techs have openly admitted electronic burn outs are common for certain brands or models.

Just recently I lost a control board on a direct vent heater still under warentee:roll:

nothing you buy today is the quality of 20 years ago:rant:

You are SO totally correct on this point.
ON some industrial level machines, the quality HAS to be better Such as Centravacs, etc...but small stuff just seems to keep getting worse.
Also the junk being produced will lock out on the slightest power flux or dirty power incident.
Unstable, unreliable, and ridiculous.
This is because of the dollar, and the fact that everything has been monetized and those forces are driving the devolution of both Engineering and quality.

Also sometimes getting OEM Tech support on the line, many of them will be clueless.
The older school guys who run Tech support on larger gear can be talked to on a " Real " level and they may be the last hope for sanity being restored to the design level.

There is a low end commercial Refrigeration maker called " True."
They put out a table type box where they wired the Evaporator fan to cycle with the thermostat as in " Air Conditioning "....claiming the 9 watt or so fan load was being shed for " efficiency"
This arrangement will not work in Refrigeration. Period.
I just had to laugh after I got off the phone with their Engineering dept.

SC

kwired

Electron manager
You are SO totally correct on this point.
ON some industrial level machines, the quality HAS to be better Such as Centravacs, etc...but small stuff just seems to keep getting worse.
Also the junk being produced will lock out on the slightest power flux or dirty power incident.
Unstable, unreliable, and ridiculous.
This is because of the dollar, and the fact that everything has been monetized and those forces are driving the devolution of both Engineering and quality.

Also sometimes getting OEM Tech support on the line, many of them will be clueless.
The older school guys who run Tech support on larger gear can be talked to on a " Real " level and they may be the last hope for sanity being restored to the design level.

There is a low end commercial Refrigeration maker called " True."
They put out a table type box where they wired the Evaporator fan to cycle with the thermostat as in " Air Conditioning "....claiming the 9 watt or so fan load was being shed for " efficiency"
This arrangement will not work in Refrigeration. Period.
I just had to laugh after I got off the phone with their Engineering dept.

SC

Don't know how you did it but I'm pretty sure this reply is for another thread, and I think I have been reading that other thread as well.

hurk27

Don't know how you did it but I'm pretty sure this reply is for another thread, and I think I have been reading that other thread as well.

Bad morning???:p

the post Starcat quoted is post 44 of this thread, if you look at post 1 you will see this all started about a blown furnace board that evolved into maybe a bad neutral problem which is why it ended up with kind of two topics, so yes if you have been reading this thread then you have been reading both topics of the same thread LOL:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
Bad morning???:p

the post Starcat quoted is post 44 of this thread, if you look at post 1 you will see this all started about a blown furnace board that evolved into maybe a bad neutral problem which is why it ended up with kind of two topics, so yes if you have been reading this thread then you have been reading both topics of the same thread LOL:happyyes:

Well I guess I could have clicked on the

viewpost-right.png

in the quote and maybe would have figured that one out:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.