fire code support

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebell

It depends on the wiring method, if the cable is an MC type then the support requirements of Art 330 would apply. If it is a nonmetallic type cable you may have to reffer to the manufacturers installation instructions.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It depends on the wiring method, if the cable is an MC type then the support requirements of Art 330 would apply. If it is a nonmetallic type cable you may have to reffer to the manufacturers installation instructions.

Article 330 doesn't apply unless 760 says it does. No manufacturer that I'm aware of offers any guidance other than the generic "comply with all AHJ requirements"; in other words, useless.

gadfly56

Occupation
Why would Article 330 not apply?

90.3 seems to state otherwise

Away from my code book right now, but IIRC there is a little section in 760 that exempts power limited fire alarm circuits from the necessity of following Chapter 3 unless specfically called for elsewhere in 760.

joebell

Please do not take this the wrong way I only ask for my own information, What is the IIRC?

I am basing my answer on the 2014 NEC, I thought the same thing that you had posted until I read 760.3 which specifically references article 300 and not chapter 3. As I read it if MC fire alarm cable is installed then the rules in330 would apply.

I am intrested in finding out more about IIRC and how it corelates with the NEC.

gadfly56

Occupation
LOL I just googled it and saw that :lol: Here I am thinking it is some sort of code or standard.

Just when I think I'm the thickest plank in the stack, someone makes me feel better about myself! :lol::lol:

If you're a little too focused I guess you could figure I fat-fingered the "I".

Status
Not open for further replies.