Golf Cart Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The main trips. You are describing a worst case/highest load scenario.

If there is no NEC article that covers this, then a study at another similarly sized facility may be in order. ofc, if you want to make it bulletproof, design it so all 100 carts can be on max charge simultaneously, and bill accordingly. Anything substantially less leaves the possibility of the customer overloading the system. and we dont want that, do we? ;)

The only reason the main would trip in this scenario would be if the electrical was designed short of being able to handle the inrush.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
St Andrews has seven public courses.

If all the carts for these 7 courses are housed all in one local building they better get the chargers ready since that would be a very "long drive" pardon the expression. :)

JAP>

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Be careful with setup of that or when you shed load the current drops enough to allow it to start again - pushing current back into shedding levels and it will repeat this cycle.

I thought that was obvious enough to go without saying. A time delay would be a simple way to keep from cycling the chargers on and off too much. Once it shuts off, keep it off for 15 or 30 min.

Although, one could probably also just let the charges cycle on and off for a while. Eventually, the current will drop till they stay on.

In a real application, I also assume there would probably be more than one switched bank of chargers.

ron

It would seem easy enough for the chargers to communicate with each other to ensure the load doesn't exceed some preset amount. I guess it is technology that will come in the future after this project is complete.

iwire

Staff member
I would call treat them as all on at max current.

Any project I have been involved with that has battery charging areas has taken large amount of power. We did a warehouse that had a 1,600 amp 480 volt feeder just for battery chargers.

Then there are the lifts we use, typically the same battery chargers as golf carts use. Plug more than two in a 20 amp circuit and the breaker will be tripped the next day.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I would call treat them as all on at max current.

Any project I have been involved with that has battery charging areas has taken large amount of power. We did a warehouse that had a 1,600 amp 480 volt feeder just for battery chargers.

Then there are the lifts we use, typically the same battery chargers as golf carts use. Plug more than two in a 20 amp circuit and the breaker will be tripped the next day.

Short and to the point.
:thumbsup:

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.