Outdoor Kitchen----Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
No need to explain, the NEC does not seem to apply at my home either. :D

bottom line is, AHJ has final say-so. you might say my kitchen is not to NEC code, thats great, does not mean its not 100% safe. ;)

mgookin

I agree, if is its attached.

Those screen enclosures are a big thing down there it seems? I cant say I have ever seen one around a pool here.

How about if it looks something like this?

contemporary-outdoor-kitchen-design-with-swimming-pool.jpg

Seeing those 3 columns I'd say that probably is under a roof. Same building (same structure).

Screen enclosures are very big here. You won't have them because they can't handle a snow load.

From the original post: I have a client who recently has two freestanding islands built outside that contain outdoor rated appliances. All high end stuff. Smoker, BBQ, food warmer, hot plate, and refrigerators.

The location is outside with no roof covering and is about 20' from the swimming pool.

We don't call the screen enclosure a roof. A roof by definition provides weather protection for the building. A screen enclosure does not.

Rich dude in the keys? Swimming pool? $50k outdoor kitchen? Chances are he's not sitting out there getting bit by skeeters.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Seeing those 3 columns I'd say that probably is under a roof. Same building (same structure).
not if that roof is not permanently attached to the main dwelling/structure.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
If the stuff hits the fan it will be the court that gets the final say.

I am a code guy at a code site. :)

what exactly is the hazard bringing in three BC's (each gfi'd breaker) to a standalone outdoor kitchen?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
How many circuits are running to this structure?

Are these islands separate structures if they sit on a continuous deck/patio/concrete surface/asphalt surface/etc. as the pool and the rest of the house?

If you really want to stretch the definition of a single structure, look up 'eruv'. (Okay, an eruv is not a structure, it is a 'domain' surrounded by 'walls'....)

-Jon

iwire

Staff member
Are these islands separate structures if they sit on a continuous deck/patio/concrete surface/asphalt surface/etc. as the pool and the rest of the house?

Well if we replaced the simple kitchen counter with a tool shed I doubt anyone would call that the same structure as the house.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
if nec followed the definitions of structures as defined by IBC this would allow for better granularity with nec code

structure.jpg

iwire

Staff member
if nec followed the definitions of structures as defined by IBC this would allow for better granularity with nec code

structure.jpg

Those are definitions of buildings.

The NEC deals with buildings and structures

Besides you are jumping to a conclusion that what we have does not work.

FWIW as far as I know the NEC definition of structure is changing in 2017

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
To summarize:

It is not yet clear if this tripping is because of low (near threshold) leakage current, so that random noise causes tripping, or if there is some intermittent event (say a defrost timer) causing much larger leakage current. It is not yet clear if the fault is in the circuit (say because of water ingress) or in the appliance.

The OP might benefit from splitting the loads into multiple circuits, because the ground fault leakage of each appliance and device is cumulative, so the fewer things connected to each GF sensor, the less the chance of a 'nuisance' trip.

If the OP decides to split the loads, it depends upon the specifics of the construction and the local understanding of what a _separate_ structure is to determine if this means a feeder and subpanel are required at each island.

-Jon

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Those are definitions of buildings.
nope, they are all types of "structures" according to IBC. all buildings are structures, not all structures are buildings, etc.

an outdoor kitchen would fall into Group-U

Utility and Miscellaneous Group U: uses intended for structures of an accessory character and not classified in any specific occupancy.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
nope, they are all types of "structures" according to IBC. all buildings are structures, not all structures are buildings, etc.

an outdoor kitchen would fall into Group-U

Utility and Miscellaneous Group U: uses intended for structures of an accessory character and not classified in any specific occupancy.
And that would not change any current NEC requirement, the structure still falls under 250.32(A)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.