New format and function not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
vBulletin.version = '5.2.2'; It's in the page source.

(And pasting that text in seems to have changed the font to Courier; I had to go into "source" mode (the top/right button in the formatting bar.)

Yes. The old version defaulted to interpreting pasted content as plain text and applying defaullt fonts and sizes to it. The new version tries to interpret all pasted text as formatted text and to preserve the format from the copy source. For the needs of this forum, that is not a good choice and the behavior should be changed if possible.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
It's like breaking in a new pair of shoes-- at first, they pinch, they rub, they squeeze your toes. But after a few (?) weeks of wearing them, they feel like the best pair of shoes you've ever worn! Besides, your old left shoe had a hole in the sole and every time it rained your sock got wet!

g3guy

I come here once a decade and what do I find? A bunch of whiners! Of course I don't remember what this forum looked like so ...

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I come here once a decade and what do I find? A bunch of whiners! Of course I don't remember what this forum looked like so ...

How ironic. Welcome back. Stay a while and get comfortable.

The new BBCode version upgrade just got over a major hurdle just this morning. There are still features to restore, and, I am sure, new features to be discovered.

g3guy

I think Haley's comet comes back every eighty-some years.

It's 75 years.

And... Why is this thread buried here instead of front page prominence? Trivial task to move it. Trying to hide something?

And...
he will be back in ten years. it's like talking to haley's comet.

I'll be 92 and I may have 50 posts by then!

kwired

Electron manager
And... Why is this thread buried here instead of front page prominence? Trivial task to move it. Trying to hide something?

First day or so since new software was in use, there were many posts like this one with questions/complaints on the new software. There is no forum dedicated to this content, and some were having trouble navigating to a particular forum anyway and where they might have started a thread just depended on where they were at when they started a topic.

Looks like some problems are getting cleaned up though.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
First day or so since new software was in use, there were many posts like this one with questions/complaints on the new software. There is no forum dedicated to this content, and some were having trouble navigating to a particular forum anyway and where they might have started a thread just depended on where they were at when they started a topic.

Looks like some problems are getting cleaned up though.

I suggested a new forum for site problems and comments, even temporarily until things get ironed out. I would move all these threads that are now all over the place there so they would all be in one place where we would know to look and comment.

-Hal

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In another site I moderate there is such a forum but it is in the moderator area. We get to report the issue so they are not overwhelmed with everyone posting in it.

We have been reading the few threads we have on forum issues and have been letting the webmaster know.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
190812-2430 EDT

New format and function is not very satisfactory.

Why a new design when the old one was quite useful?

I belong to this forum and the format is pretty much the same as the old MH forum. It is much more intuitive than the new format. I have heard the reason that it was changed was for more security. Webmaster, why can't that be achieved and still have a format that is user friendly??

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1600980#post1600980

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I haven’t been around for years either, had to get used to the new stuff. Noticed some things though...
infinitys eagle in the sunset is gone, jumpers teddy bear is gone, boesekers Car is gone(I think) ... couple of others...
still getting used to the slow posting time. I don’t think it’s doing anything, so I click again.. double post...

OH! And “The Music Game” post number one was shared. Never dreamed it would still be going. I haven’t contributed... Kinda want to hang around now and be post number 10,000

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I belong to this forum and the format is pretty much the same as the old MH forum. It is much more intuitive than the new format. I have heard the reason that it was changed was for more security. Webmaster, why can't that be achieved and still have a format that is user friendly??

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1600980#post1600980

The answer is pretty simple. Closing the security holes (substantial and exposing both users and the site to attack) required jumping a major version release of the underlying vBulletin software. Changes in the defaults, options and controls make it a very difficult task for the admins to re-install the old look and feel customizations. It is a work in progress and we appreciate your feedback on priorities.

gar

Occupation
EE
190921-1030 EDT

Big problem with this site.

I was composing a response to the thread on "Problem with voltage on kitchen sink" in Troubleshooting, and bam my post editing was aborted. It is stuck in a state "working" with the last post about 1:29 AM. A message of
"Today, 08:17 AM
This topic by Andrewnorman has been deleted by ActionDave
Reason: spam"
is now at the end where my response would be.
This 8:17 time is a time earlier than when I was working on my response. Makes no sense. This spam thing looks like it does not belong associated with this thread.

The entire thread "Problem .... " is no longer in Troubleshooting.

Whatever I was writing is totally lost.

There are still very major problems with this website software.

10:56 now I have been able to go back and find the thread, and finish my comment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.