General Switch panel breaker replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Square D, Eaton, Siemens, GE - with loadcenter of the same name:happyyes:

You don't want to be dragged through the mud when something fails in an old obsolete panel when you supposedly made it right again.

growler

What brand breakers are accepted for use in a General Switch residential service panel ? A home inspector noted several different brands breakers.
Thank you

There is normally a paper label in a panel that will state the types of breakers acceptable in the panel.

Just because the breakers in a panel were made by different manufacturers doesn't mean they
are wrong. Look at the breaker type and see if it's allowed ( check it against the list on the paper label).

Or you can get rid of that old piece of junk and install a new panel. At least they get something for their money.

kwired

Electron manager
There is normally a paper label in a panel that will state the types of breakers acceptable in the panel.

Just because the breakers in a panel were made by different manufacturers doesn't mean they
are wrong. Look at the breaker type and see if it's allowed ( check it against the list on the paper label).

Or you can get rid of that old piece of junk and install a new panel. At least they get something for their money.

Don't know about GS, but most modern items that accept multiple breaker manufacturers are things like pedestals, RV equipment, meter mains - in particular those made by Milbank, Midwest or other specialty products companies. General use loadcenters seldom (more like never) are intended to accept anything but breakers by the same manufacturer.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The local inspector today said I would need documentation for other brand replacement breakers stating they are accepted. I may be out of luck, the panel label is gone.

I would get Eaton/Cutler-Hammer "Classified" or "CL" breakers. They are listed for use in General Switch panels and many others. They come with a sticker stating they are suited/listed for the replacement.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I called Eaton today, and they sent me UL listed compatibility with a few brands but their breakers did not UL list for General Switch, only that they "fit" in General Sw. I think I'm out of luck for the documentation the inspector requires. Thank you

I found this today. I'm sure you can find one that he will accept.

8857d1360084252-circuit-breaker-compatibility-gs-panel-all-detail-small.jpg

Looks like the Eaton BR or Simens/Murray is your best bet.
Show the inspector this pic.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thank you, where did you find this ? Is there a site I can go to to get this ? Or did you get this from a panel you were working with ?

It was on another forum and the guy took a picture of his own panel.
I've worked on several GS panels but never looked at the info on the covers. I did find my Eaton CL breaker compatibility list. I could have sworn that GS was on it. But I guess since Eaton ended up with the BR line they didn't think they needed to list that. My understanding is GS never made their own breakers, they were just re-branded.
I would just show the inspector the picture.

norcal

It was on another forum and the guy took a picture of his own panel.
I've worked on several GS panels but never looked at the info on the covers. I did find my Eaton CL breaker compatibility list. I could have sworn that GS was on it. But I guess since Eaton ended up with the BR line they didn't think they needed to list that. My understanding is GS never made their own breakers, they were just re-branded.
I would just show the inspector the picture.

Main breaker panels are somewhat rare here and GS panels extremely rare, have seen one that uses a 200A Zinsco main, just like BR panels did for a time.

kwired

Electron manager
I found this today. I'm sure you can find one that he will accept.

8857d1360084252-circuit-breaker-compatibility-gs-panel-all-detail-small.jpg

Looks like the Eaton BR or Simens/Murray is your best bet.
Show the inspector this pic.

And GE THQL.

Square D Homeline would probably also be on the list but they didn't yet exist when those panels were being made.

Everything else on the list is still in existence or is now part of either Eaton or Siemens current lines.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
And GE THQL.

Square D Homeline would probably also be on the list but they didn't yet exist when those panels were being made.

Everything else on the list is still in existence or is now part of either Eaton or Siemens current lines.
I'm an idiot. I looked on my phone again. It is an American Switch panel, not General Switch !!! Any one have documentation for breakers that are ok in American Switch panels ? I'm sorry

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Status
Not open for further replies.