Spring Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It just hit me that 'spring nuts' sounds like something served at a Chinese restaurant. :giggle:
I never thought I would miss going out to eat until the “crisis”. Now you got me wanting some Chinese food...
I didn’t realize how much my wife and I ate out until 2020

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I feel like I had started an argument on this and I hate that, so my apologies. But the first sentence in that post is " I am installing a 60a surface mounted sub panel in my garage "
Yeah, even if an engineer, that's DIY. That's why I don't ask how-to questions here myself regarding any personal property. It's different for guys here who are EC's themselves, at least in my view. If they asked the same question for a customer as themselves, what would be the difference?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yeah, even if an engineer, that's DIY. That's why I don't ask how-to questions here myself regarding any personal property. It's different for guys here who are EC's themselves, at least in my view. If they asked the same question for a customer as themselves, what would be the difference?
I feel like I had started an argument on this and I hate that, so my apologies. But the first sentence in that post is " I am installing a 60a surface mounted sub panel in my garage "
no argument at all and certainly no hard feelings..
Now with your response and the next one from gadfly we have a discussion coming.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I am ordering a Generac 7210 from our electrical supply house. (CES)
This will be installed at my home.

While I have a ton of MV experience, and quite a bit of residential wiring experience, I haven’t actually installed one of these generators.

I have installed some older military generators and actually rebuilt some. We bought surplus and removed the 400hz generator and installed 60hz units on them. Prime movers were in top shape. 100-500 kVA generally.

So if I have a question regarding the generator install for my own home will the thread be shut down because it’s “DIY”?

🤔

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am ordering a Generac 7210 from our electrical supply house. (CES)
This will be installed at my home.

While I have a ton of MV experience, and quite a bit of residential wiring experience, I haven’t actually installed one of these generators.

I have installed some older military generators and actually rebuilt some. We bought surplus and removed the 400hz generator and installed 60hz units on them. Prime movers were in top shape. 100-500 kVA generally.

So if I have a question regarding the generator install for my own home will the thread be shut down because it’s “DIY”?

🤔
It will now! 😄

On a more serious note, if you are not an active EC it is not "within your area of competence", as the Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors would put it, it probably should. But I'm making some unfounded assumptions here, perhaps. By self-description, it seems you might have more knowledge on the subject of generators than many EC's.

There is a highly varied membership here, with equally diverse competencies. This is to be expected in a field that has so many different ways of generating, transporting, and using a commodity like electricity. I wouldn't try to install a generator in my home, even though NJ would let me. I might ask advice here of what to look for and what things to quiz my licensed electrical contractor on so I feel confident he knows what he is doing, but that's it.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
By the rules, we try to shut down all DIY threads by non-contractors. We allow non- contractors to post application questions but not 'how to ones. Contractors are pretty much allowed to ask anything even if it is somewhat out of their daily skill set.

This is why it is important for everyone to keep their Profile information, particularly occupation, up to date with job descriptions that are accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.