Basement finish man hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Roughly how many man hours do you think it would take 2 journeyman level to rough and trim a 1000 sq ft basement? 9 can lights everything else basic to code.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It depends. How old is the house?. How much old circuiting has to be re-fed, re-routed, etc? Where is panel, and hoe how accessible is it? There are variables that make a big difference.

Is everything ready...all framing, hvac, plumbing done, clean space?

And the guys. How fast are they?

I'd say a range would be 12 to 20 hours total for rough-in and trim.

I figure about 3 openings per hour for myself.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I would figure a day to rough in and a day to trim

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Wow some low figures. I would guess 32 man hours absolute minimum. It's never as easy as you think.
It depends who you're working for, honestly.

I have three builders I work for, that's a 15-hour job.

I have another builder I work for, that's a 50- or 60-hour job because they don't have a clue how to manage a job site

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Here's one I wired a couple of years ago, it was about 850 sq ft with a rec room, bedroom, bathroom and furnace/storage.

I did it by myself. I had 11 hours in the rough-in and 4 hours in the finish.

Btw, prices are a bit higher now

Attachments

• 20210408_072455.jpg
    20210408_072455.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 68

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Here's one I wired a couple of years ago, it was about 850 sq ft with a rec room, bedroom, bathroom and furnace/storage.

Where's your permit price for this?

sw_ross

Is it a new basement with no pre-existing j-boxes that have to be dealt with? Is the panel accessible for homeruns?
if everything is straightforward I would start with about 12-16 hours for rough-in, with that number going up as more challenges are encountered.

sw_ross

Is that a bid proposal? If so, is the top item “quantity” hours? (7)
I’m not a fan of itemizing the dollar amounts. I’m ok with itemizing quantities so the customer can see how many of each item they’re getting but I’ll usually only give them the bottom line amount for price.

Also, what software do you use for that bid proposal? It looks nice.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Is that a bid proposal? If so, is the top item “quantity” hours? (7)
I’m not a fan of itemizing the dollar amounts. I’m ok with itemizing quantities so the customer can see how many of each item they’re getting but I’ll usually only give them the bottom line amount for price.

Also, what software do you use for that bid proposal? It looks nice.
That's an invoice for a completed job, but it was easily converted from an estimate.
The quantities are openings, or pieces.

I use Invoice2Go, and it's automatically set up to itemize. But that's my preference, too.

There are pros and cons to itemizing.

Con: they see how much each item costs, and can freak out a bit over the cost of one item, when they don't take into account behind the scenes time.

Pro: there's a shopping cart, in essense. It eliminates freebies. You add more, I add more

Is it a new basement with no pre-existing j-boxes that have to be dealt with? Is the panel accessible for homeruns?
if everything is straightforward I would start with about 12-16 hours for rough-in, with that number going up as more challenges are encountered.
Yeah I could see maybe 12 to 16 if it was absolutely textbook and easy. In general though I would plan about a week for something like that. maybe you guys are blessed with more textbook easy jobs, but I would have to think hard for the last time I did an easy straightforward job.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Not enough information.
If you don't mind me asking are you bidding or price checking?
I wish more 'lectrishuns would price-check.
I try to ask others occasionally, and it's like they're guarding a recipe for meth.

If we all know ehat each orher is charging, we can all encourage each other to keep prices up higher than general laborers

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree. 25 plus years ago or so I was at one the local supply houses two owners of the two of the mid sizes electrical construction company's pulled me aside (to make a long story short) to basically inform me what they charge and asked what charged.
I was totally surprised at how high their hourly rate was.
It was really helpful to have that conversation with them and I stated adjusting my rate.
I understand rates vary all over the country and even throughout the counties in each state.
I am now at $120.00 per hour per licensed man. $180.00 with helper.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician

Hi James, would you mind sharing the spread sheet you have to these days / current material and labor costs price per line item? If it is easily shareable I would greatly appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.