When should you ask utility if there is enough power available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If I do an installation, I am obliged to do a load calc to determine if the service equipment is not overloaded.

But if I determine that the service equipment is correctly sized per article 220, at what point do I need to say anything to the POCO? Remember that the POCO has their own rules, and their installation is often undersized compared to the service equipment.

-Jon
For a start you maybe compare your load with transformer. Especially if there is higher levels of continuous loads involved.

When I am doing grain storage sites, other than commercial elevators, I mostly ignore loading and unloading equipment. The aeration fans are generally the major load, and on top of that when they run they often run 24/7 for days at a time. Loading/unloading equipment only runs 10-15 minutes at a time then may sit several hours before running again.

Bottom line is you kind of need to know the loading situation. Industrial plant - production loads may be fairly continuous, or they may be higher during one phase of operations than during others. Total connected load and what all runs at same time and for how long can be widely different.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The engineer for are POCO said even if you add a small 1/2 hp motor. Submit a load calculation sheet and then it throws the burden on them, in case something happens down the road.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No engineer I know has ever done a calculation to check if load is adequate, they just simply did estimations
You are required to use one of the methods spelled out in 220.87 where adding additional load to an existing service. An "estimate" is not one of the permitted methods.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
You are required to use one of the methods spelled out in 220.87 where adding additional load to an existing service. An "estimate" is not one of the permitted methods.
So if I add a receptacle for a 1/30HP condensate pump to a 200 story building(over exaggerating), I would need to go through all the trouble of calculating the load of the entire building or do 220.87? That’s nuts. I don’t care what the code is, I’m not gonna explain the client to this and look like an idiot

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So if I add a receptacle for a 1/30HP condensate pump to a 200 story building(over exaggerating), I would need to go through all the trouble of calculating the load of the entire building or do 220.87? That’s nuts. I don’t care what the code is, I’m not gonna explain the client to this and look like an idiot
You don't have to do the whole calculation over. Just update the old one to include the new load(s).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There’s no records of the old calculations, I work on old ancient buildings
If that is the case how would anyone know whether a new load could be accomodated?

I am inclined to agree that having to do a new load calculation for an old system is a pain in the neck just to add a small load, and I personally would not get real uptight about doing so, or not. But, the AHJ would be well within its authority to ask for it when you apply for the permit to do the work.

By the way, if there is no load calculation, that suggests there might be other necessary information missing. How would you know what the SCCR of the equipment would need to be? Or what the AIC rating of the new OCPD has to be?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If that is the case how would anyone know whether a new load could be accomodated?

I am inclined to agree that having to do a new load calculation for an old system is a pain in the neck just to add a small load, and I personally would not get real uptight about doing so, or not. But, the AHJ would be well within its authority to ask for it when you apply for the permit to do the work.

By the way, if there is no load calculation, that suggests there might be other necessary information missing. How would you know what the SCCR of the equipment would need to be? Or what the AIC rating of the new OCPD has to be?
If you have a lot of experience, a lot of this can be done using the rule of thumb. But obviously that’s not acceptable by code

no. it is about what the required SCCR or AIC is. Neither can typically be determined by any "rule of thumb" or experience.
I'm Gunna sorta disagree. I have a pretty good idea of approximate impedance values and transformer sizes and conductor impedance, so sometimes I can look at a setup and know whether I have an issue or not. Obviously if it's UG and you can't see any of the power company's stuff it's a different story.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm Gunna sorta disagree. I have a pretty good idea of approximate impedance values and transformer sizes and conductor impedance, so sometimes I can look at a setup and know whether I have an issue or not. Obviously if it's UG and you can't see any of the power company's stuff it's a different story.
What you are describing is a calculation, not a rule of thumb.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Depends the conditions, it’s called “rule of thumb” for a reason…
And if things go sideways...

I can see the conference room now, during deposition:

<Plaintiff's counsel> "So, Mr. Tainted, let's discuss the load calculations you performed for this installation..."

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Personally I don’t think it’s clear if the OP is regarding the load on the customer service equipment or the utility transformer. If it’s not about the service equipment and he just wants to tell the utility about the additional load then I don’t think he needs the full NEC calc. What his scope entails regarding the customer equipment may require a NEC load calc for the the electrical permit. Looks like a pretty easy case to use 12 month demand from the utility bills and add the new load.

Status
Not open for further replies.