AFCI troubleshooting suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before, the code says that as an alternate option, you can use an AFCI at first receptacle of a circuit if within 50 ft length of 14-2 or 70ft on 12-2 For a family dwelling. The code does not provide much more text on this nor answer further questions or examples, Such as providing diagrams such as they do in counter and wall receptacle spacing.

I have read the code but am paraphrasing to the best I can recall since I cannot get my 2020 NEC book out at the moment

I think you will need to get a code book in front of you and read the actual text . Basically that section does not work because there is no circuit breaker and afci receptacle combination that is approved and listed for that use

kwired

Electron manager
I think you will need to get a code book in front of you and read the actual text . Basically that section does not work because there is no circuit breaker and afci receptacle combination that is approved and listed for that use
I think maybe the pre combination types? But even if so or if there is something else why not just go with the combination type breaker from the start? Probably isn't costing you any significant difference. Might even cost less to just go with the combination breaker type. I think AFCI receptacle mfgrs just wanted a piece of the action so they had to get something into code, even if it isn't practical right now they want something for when/if they do have something instead of waiting for code to catch up to them.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If AFCI outlet I suspect wiring issues, but with less impedance protection AFCI breakers are always subject to failure.

If it makes you feel better, a 100.v insulation test will find issues continuity testers can't, without smoking devices & appliances.
You got a model you could share for a 100V insulation tester? Need to get one

I think maybe the pre combination types?
You lost me. Here is what the code says for what I think is the option everyone is talking about:

(4) A listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit inter‐
rupter installed at the first outlet on the branch circuit in
combination with a listed branch-circuit overcurrent
protective device where all of the following conditions are
met:
a. The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from
the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet
branch-circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.

b. The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring
from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first
outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a 14 AWG
conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.

c. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be
marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the
circuit.

d. The combination of the branch-circuit overcurrent
device and outlet branch-circuit AFCI shall be identi‐
fied as meeting the requirements for a system combi‐
nation–type AFCI and shall be listed as such.

IF you can find a breaker and AFCI outlet that meet (d) please let me know.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
one of the AFCI circuits started tripping when he turned on the office lights.
Can you narrow it down to the office lights?
If the circuit stays on with them off I would hone in there.
I use a megger set to 250V and remove all the devices from the circuit.
last one I had like that was a faulty LED driver.

I tried swapping with another AFCI breaker
I second pton's idea of using a GFCI breaker not another AFCI:
First, check the fault codes the breakers are showing. They should indicate what is causing the trip.
and/or Insert a GFCI breaker vs a std breaker.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Fat chance in getting company to approve purchase breaker AFCI at $300 a piece at Home Depot. I did however get AFCI tamper resistant RECEPTACLES For $30 each. Whether it is LISTED for combination with breaker and per NEC is another topic But I’m not sure what I can do based on the fact that I can only advise company of codes

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Fat chance in getting company to approve purchase breaker AFCI at $300 a piece at Home Depot. I did however get AFCI tamper resistant RECEPTACLES For $30 each. Whether it is LISTED for combination with breaker and per NEC is another topic But I’m not sure what I can do based on the fact that I can only advise company of codes
Real supply house you're looking at 65 bucks or less a piece that's what it cost a real company uses a real supply house and if they are big price conscious guys they will know that the man hours for a correction is much more than a correct install.

not sure where you are seeing $300, they are like $45-$65 and the upper end is for a dual function. Seems pretty likely you will fail an inspection using just an AFCi recep. If its not getting inspected and you r skipping code compliance then why bother with the AFCI at all?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it a homeline or qo? If it's a homeline check with an eaton classified afci they all use their own programs sometimes you'll end up finding it was just a bath fan or something one brand didn't include in their afci ignore waveform list.
It is a Homeline AFCI breaker.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can you narrow it down to the office lights?
If the circuit stays on with them off I would hone in there.
I use a megger set to 250V and remove all the devices from the circuit.
last one I had like that was a faulty LED driver.

I second pton's idea of using a GFCI breaker not another AFCI:
I was able to split the circuit at the first receptacle. With the bath circuit only, the fan did trip the AFCI. With the lighting and office circuit, switching on the recessed lights did trip the AFCI. I'll try the GFCI breaker next time out. I'll post my findings when I know better.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I was able to split the circuit at the first receptacle. With the bath circuit only, the fan did trip the AFCI. With the lighting and office circuit, switching on the recessed lights did trip the AFCI. I'll try the GFCI breaker next time out. I'll post my findings when I know better.
Wow so you split the circuit and both sides trip it?
When you energized on one side did you check that the non energized side stayed dead / had no N-G continuity?

One of my customers recently moved into a completely renovated house.....

The breaker panel was done in a workmanlike manner and very neat (but no inspection sticker on the panel - that makes me somewhat suspicious).
Its funny how rarely (if ever) any of us regulars on this forum have this problem with places we actually wired.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wow so you split the circuit and both sides trip it?
When you energized on one side did you check that the non energized side stayed dead / had no N-G continuity?
Both sides had other lights and receptacles on it. They all worked fine. It wasn't until I switched on the bath fan that the AFCI tripped instantly. Same goes for the LED recessed lights in the office, as soon as I switched on the lighting circuit it tripped the AFCI immediately. I did not check N-G. I believe that would have tripped the breaker immediately irrespective of any lighting or receptacles being energized seeing as how they are spliced through and not switched. The puzzling part is that everything works perfectly with a std. breaker.

I'm trying to get back there today. I'll post what (if anything) I find.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I am not able to open this PDF. I'm not sure if it's my problem or the Forum's. This has happened with a PDF that I posted in another thread.

Try this ...

Attachments

• NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE - Proposal NEC 2025.pdf
    76.4 KB · Views: 15

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Try this ...
The PDF with your code change proposal opens fine for me.
Since he is troubleshooting a possibly non-permitted job, probably by a house flipper I doubt the installer would have followed that even if its in code and it's not going to help him now.
This is sounding like the kinda thing I see fairly often, house filpper does a bunch of hack work; installs new can lights with no romex connectors, 3 prong outlets on ungrounded wiring, burys splices in a wall becasue they move a door or window etc.
Hires electrician to do panel and land new circuits they ran themselves, panel looks great, once you crawl in the attic or poke around the basement its a nightmare.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Both sides had other lights and receptacles on it. They all worked fine. It wasn't until I switched on the bath fan that the AFCI tripped instantly. Same goes for the LED recessed lights in the office, as soon as I switched on the lighting circuit it tripped the AFCI immediately. I did not check N-G. I believe that would have tripped the breaker immediately irrespective of any lighting or receptacles being energized seeing as how they are spliced through and not switched. The puzzling part is that everything works perfectly with a std. breaker.

I'm trying to get back there today. I'll post what (if anything) I find.
You could have a neutral to EGC fault and it won't trip the breaker until a load is turned on. That's why it will trip on either side when something is turned on. If you put in a GFCI only breaker, it will do the same. Find where the fault is, or find where the neutral may be tied into another circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
You lost me. Here is what the code says for what I think is the option everyone is talking about:

IF you can find a breaker and AFCI outlet that meet (d) please let me know.
My thoughts were possibly that the outlet device can be used with (might be listed with) the first generation AFCI's that did not have series arcing detection, but that may not be right. If that is true though it still kind of useless to most of us for new installs other than if you have an existing first generation AFCI breaker available to use.

But otherwise yes, you generally stuck with needing to protect the entire branch circuit with a combination type AFCI breaker. The outlet devices probably only useful for extensions/modifications to an existing circuit. I will admit I have never installed one or even had my hands on one.

cadpoint

I like what Growler said divide and concur! It sounds like such an odd circuit run anyways.
With all that going on there's got to be shorting neutrals...
Why don't you get the bathroom fart fan on it's on circuit or two and fix other stuff... :)
Besides there's been lighten which will make any and everything move if not fastly held,
I think it's a spit'n spark loose under a wire nut.... 5 cents please.

Status
Not open for further replies.