Conductor insulation damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

timlahr

When I was still fairly new in this trade I didn't have too much trouble with stripping NM cable, then was a time we were running a lot of UF cable in ag buildings. I skinned a lot of conductors on those projects at that time. Over time I got better and now hardly ever skin conductors if stripping UF cable. And I don't seem to run into UF cable all that much lately but still haven't forgotten how to do it I guess.
I hate UF really a lot.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I hate UF really a lot.
Some UF is worse than others.

Worst stuff I ever skinned was some type of data cable. I think it was 4 pairs, each shielded & foil wrapped, with a tough jacket, then a tough outer jacket. All the plastic, rubber & foil was sort of fused together. Hard enough to skin outer jacket, then repeat with each pair. Easily took an hour to skin 3 feet of cable.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some UF is worse than others.

Worst stuff I ever skinned was some type of data cable. I think it was 4 pairs, each shielded & foil wrapped, with a tough jacket, then a tough outer jacket. All the plastic, rubber & foil was sort of fused together. Hard enough to skin outer jacket, then repeat with each pair. Easily took an hour to skin 3 feet of cable.
I've used some direct-bury RG-11 that was all fused together with adhesive. Really a pain in the butt.

SterTheDer

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Here is the knife I spoke of. One sheepsfoot blade & one with blunt tip to start at end & rip jacket into box. Worked very well with some cables.
Appears to be the Klein 1550-10 that is no longer in production.
1680017795700.png
Bugger to find online, only one site i've found seems to have it but for $35 (owch)
Might turn an old pocket knife into that cable splitter with a grinder, what's the worst that can happen? ;p

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Appears to be the Klein 1550-10 that is no longer in production.
View attachment 2564611
Bugger to find online, only one site i've found seems to have it but for $35 (owch)
Might turn an old pocket knife into that cable splitter with a grinder, what's the worst that can happen? ;p
I have seen a couple on E Bay for about $25 and seen a similar one with 3 blades. I may order one there, just to have it. Not doing much work with NM now but I like the knife.

kwired

Electron manager
that's the difference between a knife and a razor . . .
Experience in operating either is the real difference. I mostly used knife my whole career, still damaged plenty of conductors when I was pretty green compared to now. So called razor knife may be easier to damage conductors but until you have done this task enough to know how to hold the tool as well as the wire/cable and just acquire the feel of things you are likely damaging conductors with either tool from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.