Single Receptacle Question

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Is a duplex receptacle fed with 12-3, with the hot tab removed, supplied by a 2 pole breaker considered two single receptacles on a MWBC?

Last edited:

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I guess I would have to see if a “single receptacle” is defined as only a single receptacle outlet on a single yoke.
So, what is this particular situation used for?
Maybe I would consider it a split wired duplex when related to switching a portion of it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As dumb as it sounds the inspector is correct but why does it matter?
210.21(B) Receptacles.
210.21(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit.
A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.
Exception No. 1: A receptacle installed in accordance with 430.81(B).
Exception No. 2: A receptacle installed exclusively for the use of a cord-and-plug-connected arc welder shall be permitted to have an ampere rating not less than the minimum branch-circuit conductor ampacity
determined by 630.11(A) for arc welders.
Informational Note: See the definition of receptacle in Article 100.

Receptacle.
A contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug, or for the direct connection of electrical utilization equipment designed to mate with the corresponding contact device. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke or strap. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke or strap. (CMP-18)

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I wonder if the problem is the MWBC with handle ties. If one pump trips the breaker, it shuts down both pumps

Joethemechanic

Occupation
technically, it would be the common trip mechanism that would turn off the other pole. 2 handle tied single poles will not do that.:)
Yeah I guess you are right, tripping doesn't move the handle far, and there is a lot of lost motion in the handle tie

Even so depending on how important the pumps are, I think I'd want a single breaker on each one, not tied. Just have to run 2 neutrals

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To stir the pot a bit, can a duplex still be used that way?
210.7 Multiple Branch Circuits.

If two or more branch circuits supply devices or equipment on the same yoke or mounting strap, a means to simultaneously disconnect the ungrounded supply conductors shall be provided at the point at which the branch circuits originate.

210.7 Multiple Branch Circuits.

If two or more branch circuits supply devices or equipment on the same yoke or mounting strap, a means to simultaneously disconnect the ungrounded supply conductors shall be provided at the point at which the branch circuits originate.
But isnt a MWBC one circuit so that doe not apply? I think 240.15(B)(1) is what requires the handle tie.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Ok, so what if we did a MWBC with K&T and used a fused disco where the circuit originates :LOL: