Dryer outlets upside down

Status
Not open for further replies.

retirede

The only reason the ground/neutral prong being up is more correct is that the right angle plugs molded on the appliance cords won't hang right and makes the installer look ignorant, but not sure a inspector should be requiring it to be changed. This only applies to 30/50A devices, smaller ones can be all over the place.

Again, this may not be true depending the elevation of the receptacle in relation to the direction the cord is approaching from.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As mentioned it's not a code requirement but IMO it should be installed so that the angled cord isn't folded over since it's just a better installation. If we installed it ground down I would have it changed to ground up.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
As mentioned it's not a code requirement but IMO it should be installed so that the angled cord isn't folded over since it's just a better installation. If we installed it ground down I would have it changed to ground up.
I could see if someone made a cord with SO cord and an end that isn't 90d then either way would work and be find but that is a very odd situation to be in since appliance pigtails are cheap and commonplace.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I could see if someone made a cord with SO cord and an end that isn't 90d then either way would work and be find but that is a very odd situation to be in since appliance pigtails are cheap and commonplace.
Not saying there isn't one but I don't think dryer cord caps are made in anything other than ground away from cord entry.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Inspector made us change outlets , so Ground would be on top. Is their any code that states
this has to be this way. New construction apt bld.
Thx
Ron
I read this somewhere: The grounding terminal should be oriented towards the top of the receptacle, to prevent objects from falling down B/T the face plate and the plug.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I read this somewhere: The grounding terminal should be oriented towards the top of the receptacle, to prevent objects from falling down B/T the face plate and the plug.
That is a recommendation, not a requirement.

IMHO it would be lovely if receptacles were angled so that ground and neutral were up :) But I'm not going to advocate for requirements on the topic.

Back to the OP, I agree with the others: receptacle orientation should be set for minimum strain on the cord path, but this is a best practice, not a code requirement.

Jon

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
That is a recommendation, not a requirement.

IMHO it would be lovely if receptacles were angled so that ground and neutral were up :) But I'm not going to advocate for requirements on the topic.

Back to the OP, I agree with the others: receptacle orientation should be set for minimum strain on the cord path, but this is a best practice, not a code requirement.

Jon
Personally, I love the "Happy Face".

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Supposedly reduces the chances to 50/50 of a short is the reasoning, but then it increases the chance of the ground prong not making contact on a loose plug, even though most are longer. RV plugs have the same issue especially with a wp in use cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.