EV's in Parking Garages

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Still is.

How many time has a carpenter, mason or plumber on a jobsite told you "No thanks; I prefer hazards I can see."?
Most times I get the opposite from GC (I can do everything type) "It's only 120/240. What's the problem?" and "Lights come on so what's the problem."

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
For those who don't know, my focus is fire alarm and fire protection. We've had a client come to us because there is "concern" regarding fire protection issues revolving around their intent to install EV charging stations on each deck of a parking garage. The corporate insurer is Zurich Re. This is something that the fire protection industry has definitely been behind the curve in addressing. What, if anything, have forum members seen?

the only thing I can say that I've noticed is that EV charging seems to always be at the entrance to the structure; never above the 1st floor. I'm not sure I'd say that's by design due to fire concerns, but likely the least expensive place to run power, and many times these stalls are "sponsored" by a local EV dealer. Not a thing where I am, but several parking garages in Atlanta have EV stalls "courtesy of.." Polestar or Tesla.

But being at the entrance would shorten response time for the FD.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Just a couple of observations:

The fire protection at a gas station is far more extensive that the fire protection in a parking garage for ICE cars. Lots more fuel available, greater change of spills, etc.

The fire issue with a parked EV, a slow charging EV, and a fast charging EV are probably all different.

An EV charging system offers the opportunity to stop the charging in the event that a fire is detected.

I don't have enough information to discuss further, but would hope that an insurance company is actually gathering statistics!

-Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never experienced an EV. Are these free chargers or do they all require credit/debit cards?

If the latter, how does the cost-per-mile compare to charging at home?

retirede

I've never experienced an EV. Are these free chargers or do they all require credit/debit cards?

If the latter, how does the cost-per-mile compare to charging at home?

Some are free, some are pay to play. The pay to play are almost always more expensive than charging at home.

The only public level 2 chargers in my small city are in the parking lot of our hospital. The rate is $0.39 per kWh. My home rate is between $0.13 and $0.139 depending on how much I use.
The ones at the hospital are, for the most part, only used by visitors from out of town.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The problem with EVs catching on fire is not a problem the electrical code can solve. I can only imagine the conflagration that will one day occur in a parking garage with hundreds of EVs that catch on fire because one of them does and it spreads. At present there is nothing that will stop the spread of the fire and for the most part automatic water sprinklers make it worse. The fire dept cannot stop it either so a single car fire could easily take down any building. The only real answer is not allowing EVs in a parking garage. Even if the chance of any individual EV catching on fire is pretty small, the way large numbers works means it will happen some day and it will take down a building.

With IC engines, a fire in one car can be readily extinguished and do minimal damage to the rest of the vehicles or the structure.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The problem with EVs catching on fire is not a problem the electrical code can solve. I can only imagine the conflagration that will one day occur in a parking garage with hundreds of EVs that catch on fire because one of them does and it spreads. At present there is nothing that will stop the spread of the fire and for the most part automatic water sprinklers make it worse. The fire dept cannot stop it either so a single car fire could easily take down any building. The only real answer is not allowing EVs in a parking garage. Even if the chance of any individual EV catching on fire is pretty small, the way large numbers works means it will happen some day and it will take down a building.

With IC engines, a fire in one car can be readily extinguished and do minimal damage to the rest of the vehicles or the structure.
A particular problem with the typical EV battery fire (fully involved) is twofold:
1. The energy stored in the battery is high and, at least initially, can be discharged faster than a fuel fed fire. And you have both the stored energy and the one-time energy of combustion of the active materials.
2. The active materials of the battery cells are under a floor pan and still at least partially enclosed within the deliberately strong battery housing. And further isolated by the cell casings themselves.

Both of these combine to produce a fire which is hard to extinguish (when you cannot allow it to just burn out). The main initial effect of the applied water is to cool the materials, but this is made more difficult by the protection around them. I have seen estimates that a Tesla battery might require 40,000 gallons of water if fully involved. By comparison, the typical fire engine has 500-1000 gallons on board, a dedicated water tender maxes out at 4,000 gallons and a typical ICE fire can be extinguished with 200 gallons of water. Less if foam is used. Foam is of no use for an EV battery fire.

On the other hand, as the technology evolves, specialized equipment is being developed for EV fires which is also able to navigate the low ceiling of a parking structure. The Coldcut Cobra (TM) system uses a high pressure (4,000+ psi) water jet containing abrasive material (essentially a water-cutter) to penetrate the car floor pan and the battery itself, extinguishing the fire with as little as 64 gallons of water.

Once this type of equipment is deployed in a city, either in the form of a specialized engine or a trailer mounted system, extinguishing an EV fire will become routine.

In the meantime, I can see insurers requiring locating EV chargers with space or barrier separation from other vehicles and a nearby high volume fire hose connection to mitigate the risks.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Fast charging really stresses and shortens battery life, how about only allowing standard chargers in confined spaces ?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Fast charging really stresses and shortens battery life, how about only allowing standard chargers in confined spaces ?
So when I have a 3 hour commute into the city center for a 2 hour meeting, I will only be able to have a standard charge before I finish the rest of my day?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
So when I have a 3 hour commute into the city center for a 2 hour meeting, I will only be able to have a standard charge before I finish the rest of my day?

There have been many complaints from EV owners that a high percentage of those "Fast Chargers" don't work as advertised anyway.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There have been many complaints from EV owners that a high percentage of those "Fast Chargers" don't work as advertised anyway.
I recall reading somewhere not too long ago that at least some of the recharging stations do not have the supply capacity to have all the chargers running at full load simultaneously so some chargers have to be shut off or limited in some way.

Around here there are a bunch of charging stations but I cannot recall ever seeing a car plugged in.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Is halon an effective battery extinguisher? Maybe something on-board?
Halon and other halogenated hydrocarbons are getting much more highly regulated as strong greenhouse gasses.
The effectiveness of Halon is probably limited as it will do no cooling and may not actually get to the combustion sites within the battery.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Validates my views I expressed back in post #4 that some dismissed. While I'm no fire suppression expert, it seems obvious to me that ICE vs EV vehicles pose very different fire risk and suppression issues.
And I strongly suspect that the incremental increase in flow rate of fire sprinklers will not make a large difference.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
And I strongly suspect that the incremental increase in flow rate of fire sprinklers will not make a large difference.
Sprinklers have been found to be very effective in suppressing fires in ICE vehicles in parking structures. "Suppress" meaning it keeps the fire from spreading to adjacent vehicles and allows time for firefighters to get on scene and plan their response.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Sprinklers have been found to be very effective in suppressing fires in ICE vehicles in parking structures. "Suppress" meaning it keeps the fire from spreading to adjacent vehicles and allows time for firefighters to get on scene and plan their response.
Yep. Sprinklers are good for cooling things down and limiting the spread of fires.

The thing is I think most places parking structures are not even required to have sprinklers at all. Which is not a bad bet on things since parking structures tend to be largely made of non combustible materials.

But normal sprinklers will just make lithium battery fires worse.