120/208 3-ph, 4W panelboard amps on A phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
As I keep trying to tell you, line current of three phase load's A aligns with line current of line-to-neutral load. B and C line currents shift 120° to each side respectively.
What is the net effect of these three delta-connected loads on line current? Express as both polar and rectangular

10A%20delta.gif

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Just a note error in the drawing.
Drawing shows 3Ø load as three 1Ø delta-connected line-to-line loads. Those loads are expressed as 10A each... when they are only 10/sqrt(3)=5.77A each. Net effect is 10A of line current.

mivey

Drawing shows 3Ø load as three 1Ø delta-connected line-to-line loads. Those loads are expressed as 10A each... when they are only 10/sqrt(3)=5.77A each. Net effect is 10A of line current.
That was the intent, and following that intent, I got the same results as Ingenieur.

The first thing I noticed was that the drawing had an error. The load 1 resistor should be labeled "R3" and the load 2 resistor should be labeled "R1", going by the values listed on the right side of the page. I mentioned it because I was not sure if that was going to result in Ingenieur having the incorrect results and started to not check the calcs. I decided to run the numbers anyway and his results are correct.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That was the intent, and following that intent, I got the same results as Ingenieur.

The first thing I noticed was that the drawing had an error. The load 1 resistor should be labeled "R3" and the load 2 resistor should be labeled "R1", going by the values listed on the right side of the page. I mentioned it because I was not sure if that was going to result in Ingenieur having the incorrect results and started to not check the calcs. I decided to run the numbers anyway and his results are correct.
Man, I can't believe it's going right over both your heads. :slaphead:

How can you get a 36.3A load on Line A when you only have three 10A loads connected to it? Doesn't matter what angle/phase the currents are, the total line current cannot exceed 30A.

Ingenieur

Just a note error in the drawing. I get the same results as you otherwise.

Thank you for taking the time, not many would do that
andcI know my writing is terrible lol
and from your previous posts I have a high degree of confidence in your review

Last edited:

Ingenieur

The second calc considered that
but the problem stated line currents so the sum of the delta currents
I corrected myself in the edited post

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The second calc considered that
but the problem stated line currents so the sum of the delta currents
I corrected myself in the edited post
You mistook the problem then. 3Ø loads are stated in terms of line current, not phase current. That is what I meant by this.
A-B circuit 10A
A-N circuit 10A
A-B-C circuit 10A

What is the vector magnitude of Line A current?

Ingenieur

You mistook the problem then. 3Ø loads are stated in terms of line current, not phase current. That is what I meant by this.

I did it both ways and posted both
1 line at 10 summed after delta
2 delta legs at 10 hence line >36

got class in 10 minutes

I'll leave it at this
I for loads 1 and 3 on phase A (A-B) must be in phase
and load 1 phase B load must be the same as load 1 phase opposite sign
load 2 phase A (the neut load) must differ by 30 deg

regardless I enjoyed this and thanks to all for indulging me

Last edited:

Ingenieur

Man, I can't believe it's going right over both your heads. :slaphead:

How can you get a 36.3A load on Line A when you only have three 10A loads connected to it? Doesn't matter what angle/phase the currents are, the total line current cannot exceed 30A.

Another possibility
NOT going over OUR heads
just saying

mivey

Man, I can't believe it's going right over both your heads.

Ingenieur's result is correct for what he drew. If you have a different circuit in mind, then the answer would be different.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I did it both ways and posted both
1 line at 10 summed after delta
2 delta legs at 10 hence line >36

got class in 10 minutes

I'll leave it at this
I for loads 1 and 3 on phase A (A-B) must be in phase
and load 1 phase B load must be the same as load 1 phase opposite sign
load 2 phase A (the neut load) must differ by 30 deg

regardless I enjoyed this and thanks to all for indulging me
This is where you are wrong. I(s) for load 3 (the 3Ø load) must be shifted 30°. Line current of a resistive 3Ø load is in phase with the line-to-neutral voltage. Perhaps you'll figure that out someday.
;)

mivey

You mistook the problem then. 3Ø loads are stated in terms of line current, not phase current.
If you want 10 amp line currents then that is a different circuit. How far back to the post actually describing the circuit you are talking about?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ingenieur's result is correct for what he drew. If you have a different circuit in mind, then the answer would be different.
If you want 10 amp line currents then that is a different circuit. How far back to the post actually describing the circuit you are talking about?
I presented the problem...
A-B circuit 10A
A-N circuit 10A
A-B-C circuit 10A

What is the vector magnitude of Line A current?
And this is what he replied with originally...

OK
I believe you
where did I screw up lol
excuse the scribble

Smart $

Esteemed Member
draw the picture and do it by hand
Don't need to draw the picture and I already did the hand part (via computer) back in post #45...
vector%20sum.gif

...using your angle convention. It agrees with my calculator, correcting for difference in angle convention.

mivey

I presented the problem...

And this is what he replied with originally...
If you both meant 10 amp line currents for each load then Rab=20.785, Ran=12, Rab=Rbc=Rca=36. Unless I fat-fingered it then you get:

Ia = 29.093 at 20.104d
Ib = 19.319 at 165d
Ic = 10 at -90d
In = 10 at 30d

add: which agrees with your #45. Y'all must have been talking about two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.