14gage wire for light switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Like Iwire, I can spot the evidence of fraud. You use the title of "Electrician/Engineer." Provide the proof that you're an electrician, otherwise you're nothing more than a liar.

That in by itself means nothing. If I left doing hands on? How many guys here are retired?

At this point no one can or knows how to discredit my references, so the theory is if you can make me look like a fibber it gives ground to discredit everything I have been saying so far.

peter d

So far I have never seen you back up what you do, and their would be no point either.

You haven't, but other members of this forum have. :thumbsup:

As for my ideas being disregarded any electrician with a license can come on here and say anything he wants, even if its incorrect. It makes no difference that his claims ought to be believed more.

Genuine electricians talk like....get this....genuine electricians. You talk like an engineer who lives in the realm of book learning and theory.

peter d

That in by itself means nothing. If I left doing hands on? How many guys here are retired?

At this point no once can or knows how to discredit my references, so the theory is if you can make me look like a fibber it gives ground to discredit everything I have been saying so far.

You did an excellent job of making yourself look like a fibber. No outside help was needed.

But Iwire was right, your ego is so massive that you just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper. Shameful, really.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You haven't, but other members of this forum have. :thumbsup:

How have they backed up their credentials?

Genuine electricians talk like....get this....genuine electricians. You talk like an engineer who lives in the realm of book learning and theory.

Of course, because I am having a theory orientated conversation about code. The code is based on theory and to be honest (not applicable to you) most electricians do not have enough electrical theory. When Mike Holt makes videos directed at electricians they are saturated with theory.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You did an excellent job of making yourself look like a fibber. No outside help was needed.

But Iwire was right, your ego is so massive that you just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper. Shameful, really.

Those are Tony's words, where Iwire did not even want to let him speak on something he works with first hand. If Iwire can discredit someone who is describing something they work with day to day, do you really believe he will not discredit me?

Electric-Light

Which is unlikely in a dwelling unit.

And the only item that must be listed for 100% is the breaker.

Code attempts to address contingencies that are sometimes a degree or two separated from things someone maybe aware of. Sometimes there are things that need revisions, so they're periodically updated. Do you not agree?

There is a video somewhere online showing what happens to a wire when the wires heat up from the fault current before the breaker can interrupt. Not enough to melt the wire, but smoke comes out the insulation and makes it brittle. Someone mentioned "it would be legal to use 18AWG from switch to fixture" A 75C 18AWG can ONLY tolerate 900A for 1/2 cycle and even a realistic home circuit have more available fault current than 1kA.

Avail fault current near a 3% Z 1,000kVA 208/120 transformer is not the same as a rural house fed from a 120v 5kVA. Any disagreements?

peter d

How have they backed up their credentials?

They are people I have actually worked with.

Of course, because I am having a theory orientated conversation about code. The code is based on theory and to be honest (not applicable to you) most electricians do not have enough electrical theory. When Mike Holt makes videos directed at electricians they are saturated with theory.

I'm not challenging or questioning your theory. You know theory quite well.

I'm challenging your assertion that you're an electrician.

peter d

Those are Tony's words, where Iwire did not even want to let him speak on something he works with first hand. If Iwire can discredit someone who is describing something they work with day to day, do you really believe he will not discredit me?

In this case, I do not believe he is trying to discredit you at all.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
They are people I have actually worked with.

So in order to prove my credential I need to start working with the members here?

I'm not challenging or questioning your theory. You know theory quite well.

I'm challenging your assertion that you're an electrician.

But why are challenging that to start with? What will you prove if you show I am not one?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
In this case, I do not believe he is trying to discredit you at all.

But he was trying to discredit Tony. He also didn't want to hear anything he had to say, even going far as saying he cant give any input with "no business telling us we are doing things wrong". Rather I would have sat and asked Tony to explain what he knows. I would ask questions. Tony is obviously a wealth of knowledge but not to welcome here...

Electric-Light

RqKDBB4.jpg

Fed from a 20A branch circuit with 14 AWG.
What prevents 20A from getting continuously loaded on the 14 AWG section?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
As it seems to be 'Kick an EE day' , i'd like to get my licks in too....

From the forum rules....>>>>

This site is designed for:
Contractors
Electricians
Engineers
Inspectors
Instructors
Other electrically related individuals
This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.

A~ there's a huge dif being primarily NEC vs. exclusively NEC .
Yet i see this site does allow 'electrical and related' industry to speak here.
This insinuates a broad spectrum , meaning that outside the NEC

B~'Instructors' , meaning people who do no physical electrical work . Some may have not done any for decades
noted is no qualifier exists for the term here

C~ 'Inspectors', also meaning those who do not physical electrical work, merely providing bureaucratic oversight.
Noted no qualifier exists here as well

D~'EE's', our neck up contingent , who's existence is thinking out the physical work we do.
Assumed some academics are prerequisite , along with pertinent orgs like the IEEE, even if some may hail from the U of Mars...

E~ 'Electricians', note there doesn't seem to be any qualifier here either
Yet these are considered the sorts who DO engage in the physical work of our trade.
Many of them have little more responsibility than a monkey see, monkey do existence

F~'Contractors' now HERE's an entity i can relate to.
Having to daily parlay all the above list of ninnies into a $$$ isn't for the weak
You may say your a tradesman , an electrician, or any of the above
But you can't say they effect your rice bowl until you're an EC

Thanks for playing...:)

~RJ~

Last edited:

peter d

So in order to prove my credential I need to start working with the members here?

But why are challenging that to start with? What will you prove if you show I am not one?

Are you being intentionally dense? :roll: If you lie about being an electrician when you are not one, you lose credibility. It doesn't matter what you say or how true it is - people will not take you seriously or credibly from here on out. So either you are extremely naive, or you're just unwilling to admit you lied about being an electrician.

peter d

But he was trying to discredit Tony. He also didn't want to hear anything he had to say, even going far as saying he cant give any input with "no business telling us we are doing things wrong". Rather I would have sat and asked Tony to explain what he knows. I would ask questions. Tony is obviously a wealth of knowledge but not to welcome here...

AFAIK, Tony is not banned and is still more than welcome to participate in this forum.

Regarding Iwire's quote which is in reference to Tony's input on American wiring methods, do you go to British forums and tell them how they ought to be doing things? I doubt it. :happyno:

Anyway, I've made my point and I think anyone can make up their own minds on this issue as to whether you're an electrician or not. I'm out.

user 100

AFAIK, Tony is not banned and is still more than welcome to participate in this forum.

Regarding Iwire's quote which is in reference to Tony's input on American wiring methods, do you go to British forums and tell them how they ought to be doing things? I doubt it. :happyno:

I thought I would add here that I wonder how well an American electrician, engineer, inspector or whatever would be treated if he went to a British forum and had an opinion of their methods. My bet is that they would hear,eventually, the same words that came from iwire.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The first half-dozen posts answered the OPs question noting the NEC did not allow the practice.
The thread has wandered well beyond that point at times becoming personal.
Question has been asked and answered. Time for the thread to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.