2 to 3 Prongs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

What's up with the bars over the window? Designed around the hack panel or short to begin with?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
. Unlicensed electrician tampered with the meter and "upgrade" the service, he installed a new service panel, . . . . .

in my area, we call these guys "linemen". That's their day job. :roll:

Its interesting to see an REA bucket truck loaded w/ romex.

mcclary's electrical

Here are the pictures, he's good, he used AWG 12 for all the receptacles jumpers and because the panel is closed to the water heater he left the meter without cover for ventilation purposes (this is the problem with meter electronic reading, no one notice it) Ah, he is too generous that he provided 14 disconnects instead of a main. That lady paid only $2,500.00 for that wonderful upgrade

violation012.jpg

violation005.jpg

violation002.jpg

violation007.jpg

That receptacle is wired reverse polarity

Jim W in Tampa

Water heater looks new too. Perhaps it created the 110.26 issue.
When this is all over I bet the lady ends up footing a huge bill. Properties like this are almost always sold AS IS. Trying to go after the seller would cost far more than the fix and even winning only gets you a judgement not money. The so called electrician likely was paid in cash and will not get more than a warning.
The bars on windows indicate this is not prime realistate.
Atleast the meter is protected from theft.

kwired

Electron manager
I will guarantee that there is not one strictly residential electrical van in the entire Washington DC area that has a piece of gray THHN in it!:grin:

If strictly residential they probably have no more than black, red, white, and green for THHN conductors.

If I am running more than one neutral and have only a single voltage system on premesis I will use white and gray - as well as solid and stranded to make it easier to tell which conductor is which.

kwired

Electron manager
.. I think POCO missed too many violations to their meters because of those electronic readers.

Some of the wireless readers will tell POCO if power has been lost (like from pulling the meter from the socket).

We have one POCO that if you pull a meter without calling first will notify them fairly quickly and they will dispatch someone to investigate the outage.

Jim W in Tampa

Some of the wireless readers will tell POCO if power has been lost (like from pulling the meter from the socket).

We have one POCO that if you pull a meter without calling first will notify them fairly quickly and they will dispatch someone to investigate the outage.

While doing work a few years ago at the poco i got to talk with one of there men that was in the theft department. Seen him return every day with truck load of meters. The new ones tell them plenty. If pulled out or even leaned at sharp angle it tells on you. Turning meter upside down will not help you. They are far more smarter than you think. Days of stealing power are gone and that is a good thing.
Problem i see here is the meter reader might not seen this one for years being its inside.

In the 2008 NEC 403.D(3)(b) and (c) require that to do this, you must protect each receptacle with a GFCI and label each receptacle with a label that says "GFCI PROTECTED" and another that says "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND". Further, the grounding terminals of the ungrounded receptacles may not be connected together. This could address both parts of the question as the grounding terminals are connected together via the neutral in this house.

As for the jumper from neutral to ground terminals, I'm not sure if the code specifically addresses that problem, (other than as mentioned above) but is dangerous. I have been "lit up" once or twice with a hot neutral. Thus if there is a voltage on the neutral it will make the case/frame of the equipment "hot" instead of grounded and safe, and someone in contact with the "hot" equipment case/frame and grounded (such as barefoot on concrete or in contact with a water faucet) could be elecrtocuted.

Look at 2008 NEC 403.D(3)(B) AND (C), older code books have it located in 210-7(D) which states that you may replace the 2 pin receptacles with 3 pin receptacles if they are GFCI receptacles or are protected by a GFCI. Further it states that the grounding terminals may not be connected together and if they are jumpered together with the neutrals, then they are connected together via the neutral conductor.

I have been "lit up" with a hot neutral once or twice and if the neutral happens to be hot and a person is in contact with the frame of the equipment that should be grounded and is grounded (such as barefoot on concrete or in contact with a water faucet) they could be electrocuted.

kwired

Electron manager
Wow there is enough violations in the meter and panel alone to keep you bussy for a few days

Meter too high for most POCO requirments
No bonding bushing on metal raceway between meter and panel
I can't see any visable grounding electrode conductors in the panel
No main service disconnect, required for a lighting and branch circuit panel 408
Pipe running out of the bottom of panel looks way over wire count as with maybe others
use of a non WP box and fittings in an outdoor damp location
possable a 110.26 violation on panel but angle of camera is hard to tell

At least the wires in the panel are installed in a neet maner.:grin:

Probably not a bonding bushing but not sure if you would see it if it were there in this photo.

Top conductor on left neutral buss looks like it may be a GEC, the split bolt in the bottom of the panel may be a splice in that conductor however. Can not tell if or where it leaves the panel.

Lighting and appliance panelboard definition removed in 2008 NEC, however you still would need a main in this panel because there are more than six breakers installed.

Talk about allowing extra spaces for future loads - somebody needs to develop a single space device with four circuits for this install.

Status
Not open for further replies.