2020 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2020 NEC is available. You cannot download it as you could in the past but for $65 you can use the online version with all the search features, etc. You can copy and paste up to a point-- a few paragraphs at a time, not pages.

I liked having it on my pc so you can use it when you are not online but now you must be connected to use it.:thumbsdown:

I did buy it. I am going to try and not have a hard copy this time

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The 2020 NEC is available. You cannot download it as you could in the past but for $65 you can use the online version with all the search features, etc. You can copy and paste up to a point-- a few paragraphs at a time, not pages.

I liked having it on my pc so you can use it when you are not online but now you must be connected to use it.:thumbsdown:

I did buy it. I am going to try and not have a hard copy this time

Doesn’t the hard copies come with the free download anymore?
I have the hard copy of the 2014. never really looked at it. Got the download on my PC with a code and used that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Doesn’t the hard copies come with the free download anymore?
I have the hard copy of the 2014. never really looked at it. Got the download on my PC with a code and used that.

Nope, the 2017 you could buy the download when you bought a hard copy...You had to pay for the download as well. Now you cannot download. The access and usability of the site is good but you need to be online

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Nope, the 2017 you could buy the download when you bought a hard copy...You had to pay for the download as well. Now you cannot download. The access and usability of the site is good but you need to be online

I never got the 2017, so I didn’t know.
Thanks for the heads up...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That really ticks me off, the pdf was way handier than being tied to their website.

I agree, there should be a .PDF version just like the last 5 code cycles. Paying for online access instead of a downloadable version stinks. And they wonder why people pirate their stuff. I won't be paying for access. I frequently work on job sites with no internet access when you get below street level. :rant:

I can already view it for free so why should I pay?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree, there should be a .PDF version just like the last 5 code cycles. Paying for online access instead of a downloadable version stinks. And they wonder why people pirate their stuff. I won't be paying for access. I frequently work on job sites with no internet access when you get below street level. :rant:

I can already view it for free so why should I pay?

The free version doesn't allow copy and paste nor can you search. I already paid the $65-- We'll see how it goes.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The free version doesn't allow copy and paste nor can you search. I already paid the $65-- We'll see how it goes.

I have to use the screenshot feature on my PC(don’t remember the name of it) when things won’t let me copy and paste. It’s a .jpg then...

Gary11734

I downloaded from 2008 to 2017. Highlight in Preview, then print and insert in the NEC hard copy binder. It was slick. You had to use 15lb paper to make it work. Too bad, it was great! Now, Scan and highlight. UGH!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
This is just the beginning. There gets to a point where with enough money and power you feel like you can get away with anything. That was true, in the past...

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Probably technically against some fine print law.

Maybe... I really don’t care though to be honest.
The Supreme Court struck down some arguments against free access to the law. Don’t know all the particulars. I think NFPA solved future suits by allowing free access on their site only. I can see making money, but how much is enough...

bit torrents...
someone will put it out there.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Well, the engineering staff to write the code is free labor - all donated. And aren't they a non-profit? I'd guess the executive staff gets plenty. Have to spend the money on something, or it is profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.