2020 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would guess that there will end up being a .PDF version just not from the usual sources. ;)

This trend of companies assuming that everyone has 24/7 access to high speed internet has to stop, it's a fallacy. Can you imagine trying to search through the 2020 NEC online when you have poor internet?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Attachments

• D83239A3-D3EF-46F0-84BB-D0D3198CDD35.jpeg
    D83239A3-D3EF-46F0-84BB-D0D3198CDD35.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 35

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Attachments

• C686CD91-44A8-4AD9-A736-D575785DCDA2.jpeg
    C686CD91-44A8-4AD9-A736-D575785DCDA2.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 6

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Attachments

• B1B66733-8591-4F3F-9A2B-0A8FCF8F8646.jpeg
    B1B66733-8591-4F3F-9A2B-0A8FCF8F8646.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 7

luckyshadow

I was told that the 2020 online access version is not searchable and it basically not worth the money. I will not state the personas name who told me this but he is a industry leading expert who is highly respected. ( No its not Mike Holt)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was told that the 2020 online access version is not searchable and it basically not worth the money. I will not state the personas name who told me this but he is a industry leading expert who is highly respected. ( No its not Mike Holt)

It is searchable

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So I was totally incorrect about the $65 for the digital access. That is only for one year. What a rip.. I decided to cancel that and buy the soft copy book along with the digital access and I can then pay $14.00 a year for the access to the digital copy.

The thing is once you're area is done with the 2020 do you continuing paying $14/year so you can copy and paste? Heck no--- it will affect us here on the forum because at some point you are going to cancel the access especially as the years go by.

What a colossal rip off.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Looks like its $65 PER YEAR, not just a one-time fee for the 2020 NEC online access. I just ordered a looseleaf and will scan it myself to a searchable PDF.

edit....missed the reply above where you mentioned the yearly fee.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Looks like its $65 PER YEAR, not just a one-time fee for the 2020 NEC online access. I just ordered a looseleaf and will scan it myself to a searchable PDF.

edit....missed the reply above where you mentioned the yearly fee.

I had the same idea but I'm thinking that it's quite a bit of work. Let me know how well it works and whether or not it's worth the effort.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I had the same idea but I'm thinking that it's quite a bit of work. Let me know how well it works and whether or not it's worth the effort.

Last time I scanned a project of similar size it took prob 20 hours. I’ll let you know how it goes. Working across different states puts me on any single code cycle for at least 5 years; however long it takes will have been worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Last time I scanned a project of similar size it took prob 20 hours. I’ll let you know how it goes. Working across different states puts me on any single code cycle for at least 5 years; however long it takes will have been worth it.
Similar thing here, we just recently adopted the 2017 so it's probably going to be at least 3 years before we get to adopting the 2020 and then another 3 years of using it so I'm personally looking at about 6 years of use before we go to the 2023.

tkb

The online access is $65 per year, so it is $195 for the 3 year cycle.
After you subscription ends, so does your access.
The code book is less than $120, and I get to access it forever.

I have had the PDF Handbook every cycle since the folio view days.

This is a huge step backwards and is only a money grab by the NFPA so they can mail out more of their sales info.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The online access is $65 per year, so it is $195 for the 3 year cycle.
After you subscription ends, so does your access.
The code book is less than $120, and I get to access it forever.

I have had the PDF Handbook every cycle since the folio view days.

This is a huge step backwards and is only a money grab by the NFPA so they can mail out more of their sales info.

That is what I said in post 28.. However if you buy the book with the digital access then the online is only $14 / year. That is the route I took

tkb

That is what I said in post 28.. However if you buy the book with the digital access then the online is only $14 / year. That is the route I took

I think it is $14 for one year. Then $65 per year after that, which would make it $144 for the 3 year cycle.

tkb

I don't think so--at least that is not what they told me

Read the bottom of this page carefully.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
They aren't doing themselves any favors as far as trying to deter piracy.

Roger

tkb

It is only going to motivate people to scan and OCR themselves.
This will end up the most pirated edition yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.