2020 NEC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
It is easy to pirate. All you have to do is to copy and paste entire articles into word and then save as pdf. I don't have a way to do this with a pdf software directly. It is searchable. It took me about 30 minutes, however I don't feel good about offering it to others. Sorry, I just was curious if it would work

infinity

Staff member
It is easy to pirate. All you have to do is to copy and paste entire articles into word and then save as pdf. I don't have a way to do this with a pdf software directly. It is searchable. It took me about 30 minutes, however I don't feel good about offering it to others. Sorry, I just was curious if it would work
So you were able to make a copy for your own personal use in 30 minutes? Might be worth the subscription just to do that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
The formatting is a little off. For instance there are extra spaces between (A)(1) and the (2) and the Table for wire ampacity is a few pages instead of one. I am still playing with it.. Of course the index where you click on the article is not there either. You either have to scroll or use alt "F" and type the article number

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Personally I don't find the online version so bad however if you don't have internet access I can see it as a hassle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
I guess that is where the book comes in handy. Bulky and a pain to carry but .... I really think they blew it without the pdf, IMO. Sure there will always be pirating but when members don't buy their product that will hurt even more.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Look they already give the nec for free online... Granted you cannot copy and paste but it is there so why would many people buy the online version unless you are involved in forums.

beanland

I have heavily bookmarked my 2017 NEC handbook to make it easier to search through. With the bookmarks it is an excellent tool. Like others, I do not want to lose access to the handbook just because my Internet access is down. With the current pandemic, many Internet services are throttling data rates; making access to on-line resources problematic. Since it all boils down to $$$$$ in the NFPA pocket, I am very annoyed and the NFPA is on my list to get coal in their stocking from now on.