2020 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is easy to pirate. All you have to do is to copy and paste entire articles into word and then save as pdf. I don't have a way to do this with a pdf software directly. It is searchable. It took me about 30 minutes, however I don't feel good about offering it to others. Sorry, I just was curious if it would work

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is easy to pirate. All you have to do is to copy and paste entire articles into word and then save as pdf. I don't have a way to do this with a pdf software directly. It is searchable. It took me about 30 minutes, however I don't feel good about offering it to others. Sorry, I just was curious if it would work

So you were able to make a copy for your own personal use in 30 minutes? Might be worth the subscription just to do that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The formatting is a little off. For instance there are extra spaces between (A)(1) and the (2) and the Table for wire ampacity is a few pages instead of one. I am still playing with it.. Of course the index where you click on the article is not there either. You either have to scroll or use alt "F" and type the article number

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Personally I don't find the online version so bad however if you don't have internet access I can see it as a hassle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I guess that is where the book comes in handy. Bulky and a pain to carry but .... I really think they blew it without the pdf, IMO. Sure there will always be pirating but when members don't buy their product that will hurt even more.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Look they already give the nec for free online... Granted you cannot copy and paste but it is there so why would many people buy the online version unless you are involved in forums.

beanland

I have heavily bookmarked my 2017 NEC handbook to make it easier to search through. With the bookmarks it is an excellent tool. Like others, I do not want to lose access to the handbook just because my Internet access is down. With the current pandemic, many Internet services are throttling data rates; making access to on-line resources problematic. Since it all boils down to $$$$$ in the NFPA pocket, I am very annoyed and the NFPA is on my list to get coal in their stocking from now on.

Mezani

The 2020 NEC is available. You cannot download it as you could in the past but for $65 you can use the online version with all the search features, etc. You can copy and paste up to a point-- a few paragraphs at a time, not pages.

I liked having it on my pc so you can use it when you are not online but now you must be connected to use it.👎

I did buy it. I am going to try and not have a hard copy this time
What is the website to access the 2020 code?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I have heavily bookmarked my 2017 NEC handbook to make it easier to search through. With the bookmarks it is an excellent tool. Like others, I do not want to lose access to the handbook just because my Internet access is down. With the current pandemic, many Internet services are throttling data rates; making access to on-line resources problematic. Since it all boils down to $$$$$ in the NFPA pocket, I am very annoyed and the NFPA is on my list to get coal in their stocking from now on.

When will people do something about this?

tkb

The NFPA is totally tone deaf.
They are too busy mailing tons of junk mail and fake invoices for membership to care about our needs.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It took forever for my book to get here, but I was finally able to start scanning; I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.

I've loaded it into the document feeder on my scanner. The thing that's time consuming right now is that when you load pages in order through the document feeder, the scan ends up in reverse order, so I have to re-organize the page order using Adobe. I think this is easier than trying to reverse the pages before loading, because I would then have to reverse that again to put them back into the binder.

I'm using the "Enhance Scan" feature in Adobe acrobat pro; it de-skews the scan, sharpens text, and performs OCR on the document for searching. Leave "remove background off"; I ran a test with it on to remove the punch holes from the pages, but it will also remove most of the shading around new and changed wording.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Why would you go through all that trouble. That has got to take days to do that...

I started digging for an easier method.... Here it is; you scan through the auto doc feeder to a pdf. Then print that pdf as another pdf, but use the "reverse page" option under print settings. Recommend you use at least 600 dpi for best results on that. So now with all the pages in order, run "enhance scan" in adobe pro.

Its going quickly now. I'm scanning one whole article section at a time... 200's, 300's, 400's, etc. I haven't kept track with the scanning time, but article 300 & 400 probably took 20-30 minutes each. It takes about 3 min for my computer to reprint those sections in order, and another 5-10 min to run the OCR.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It took forever for my book to get here, but I was finally able to start scanning; I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.

I've loaded it into the document feeder on my scanner. The thing that's time consuming right now is that when you load pages in order through the document feeder, the scan ends up in reverse order, so I have to re-organize the page order using Adobe. I think this is easier than trying to reverse the pages before loading, because I would then have to reverse that again to put them back into the binder.

I'm using the "Enhance Scan" feature in Adobe acrobat pro; it de-skews the scan, sharpens text, and performs OCR on the document for searching. Leave "remove background off"; I ran a test with it on to remove the punch holes from the pages, but it will also remove most of the shading around new and changed wording.

I am forever grateful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.