2020 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was able to copy the entire articles one at a time with the online version then paste it into word. It took less than 30 minutes to copy and paste the entire code. I did have to play with it a bit... Not perfect but it works. I am not selling copies just wanted to see if I could do it....It has search features etc.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I just got the $65 online version and it's nice because it's searchable. I also saw plenty of hardcopy options available for purchase including the Handbook. I was surprised to see that the $65 is a one-year membership fee, not a code-cycle membership. Oh well. It's our livelihood!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Online isn’t acceptable for me.

It seems like every time I need to look something up, I’m in the backwoods of Alabama somewhere with no cell coverage, or I’m in a city with congested networks and unreliable data service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Online isn’t acceptable for me.

It seems like every time I need to look something up, I’m in the backwoods of Alabama somewhere with no cell coverage, or I’m in a city with congested networks and unreliable data service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will come a day when the NEC will only be $10 in today's money, and a 1/2 inch in thickness.

Freude schöner götterfunken tochter aus elysium wir betreten feuertrunken...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I finally finished scanning mine. It wasn't terribly hard, it was just a matter of making time to do it. Added OCR and fully indexed.

RAYMFL

My first code book 1971 was free. All the electrical supply houses gave them out with their names and logo printed on the cover. I think of that whenever the new publication comes out and prices are discussed. Gee, that was a while back.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
My first code book 1971 was free. All the electrical supply houses gave them out with their names and logo printed on the cover. I think of that whenever the new publication comes out and prices are discussed. Gee, that was a while back.
Those were the days. Free to good customers. Then later years it was discounted price. Today, they might not even have them.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

And the book could actually be read and understood.

Statements like this radicalize the greatest. It speaks to what humanity can really have, and what we will one day have again thanks the spirit of both humanity and the individual person.

Those were the days. Free to good customers. Then later years it was discounted price. Today, they might not even have them.

Thats how it should be today. Free for customers. $10 for whom ever wants to walk in and buy a copy.

The rules that govern safe practice are rooted in only a few equations and the intent can be spelled out in a few on-point sentences and a couple of tables. Thats it. Everything else is a lie.

Occupation
Electrician
That is what I said in post 28.. However if you buy the book with the digital access then the online is only $14 / year. That is the route I took

Dennis did you buy the book off here then sign up for the "Digital Access with NFPA LiNK™" because I'm trying to do it like you buy the book then pay for online access but no lie I'm lost. This is the screen I'm seeing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
@Lifeisshocking -- I don't remember but I think what you are sayig is correct. I thought I was buying a lifetime subscription to the digital 2020. Turns out it was for one year. What a rip---they want $10/month for digital access so that's $120 a year for 3 years is $360..... wow

I did buy the book and I did get the digital but I let the digital lapse for now. I am still angry because I was confused as you are.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
@Lifeisshocking -- I don't remember but I think what you are sayig is correct. I thought I was buying a lifetime subscription to the digital 2020. Turns out it was for one year. What a rip---they want $10/month for digital access so that's $120 a year for 3 years is $360..... wow

I did buy the book and I did get the digital but I let the digital lapse for now. I am still angry because I was confused as you are.
I wonder how much it will be next year as they have added 14 additional NFPA codes to LINK along with the current and previous 3 editions of the NEC?
The added codes are NFPA 1, 20, 25, 30, 30A, 54, 58, 70E, 72, 79, 96, 99, 101, and 921. They have also started adding some of the handbook commentary to the NEC. Not sure if they are doing that to the other codes or not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I wonder how much it will be next year as they have added 14 additional NFPA codes to LINK along with the current and previous 3 editions of the NEC?
The added codes are NFPA 1, 20, 25, 30, 30A, 54, 58, 70E, 72, 79, 96, 99, 101, and 921. They have also started adding some of the handbook commentary to the NEC. Not sure if they are doing that to the other codes or not.

I have no idea but it is getting out of hand. I don't know what I will do. Fortunately, I retired at the beginning of the year but I like to keep up with it all. I

I understand the issue with pirating but the expense is getting way beyond what it cost to get it out. I definitely will not buy the book anymore but I would like to be able to cut and paste.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Once some places adopt it it will be posted free like the 2017 was and still is.
And someone will scan it and post it. Wait and see

bzzt

Occupation
wirer
Sure would be nice if the next code is simplified. An ugly's and common sense should be all a guy needs.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Sure would be nice if the next code is simplified. An ugly's and common sense should be all a guy needs.

The question is, why is no one fighting?

I do my part of picking apart the flaws in the current code, and the manufacturer influence, to which there are many.

Perhaps we need a sit in at the NFPA?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The question is, why is no one fighting?

I do my part of picking apart the flaws in the current code, and the manufacturer influence, to which there are many.

Perhaps we need a sit in at the NFPA?

How is sitting on a computer complaining to everyone about the NEC doing your part? Have you contacted the nec?

Status
Not open for further replies.