210-52(5f)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulh

This question concerns Laundry circuits and receptacles in a dwelling unit laundry room. There is a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the laundry equipment. There is also a receptacle on the wall or, on a counter in the laundry. The question is, do these other receptacles have to be on the laundry circuit, a separate 20 amp receptacle circuit, or can they be on a 15 amp lighting circuit. There is no built in ironing board in the room, but the contention is that the receptacles could be used for an iron. Also does a built in ironing board have to be provided with a 20 amp circuit?

iwire

Staff member
Re: 210-52(5f)

All that is required is that a 20 amp circuit for the laundry is in the laundry room and goes to no other rooms.

What you do with that circuit in the laundry room is not spelled out.

Use it for the washer and the iron if you want.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

do these other receptacles have to be on the laundry circuit, a separate 20 amp receptacle circuit, or can they be on a 15 amp lighting circuit.
Bob's answer is exactly correct. Additional receptacle(s) WITHIN the laundry area ARE PERMITTED to be on the laundry circuit but NOT REQUIRED to be.

In addition, if your laundry area is in an unfinished part of a basement, the laundry receptacle DOES NOT count as one of the required receptacles for that unfinished space. Those receptacles will have to be GFI protected but the laundry receptacle DOES NOT.

Ref : EC Mag - Dec 02 "Code in Focus" by Charles Miller

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Bob

"Use it for the washer and the iron if you want."

I disagree. 210.11(C)(2) says the outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). 210.52(F) requires only one outlet. 210.11(C)(2) This circuit shall have no other outlets.

One outlet required then no other outlets.????

Required and shall are the key words.

Mike P.

iwire

Staff member

210.11(C)(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.
Mike no where does it tell us that the circuit must feed the washer and/or dryer.

It also uses the plural form of outlets, in this case the no other outlets means no other outlets outside of the laundry.

210.11(C)(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
Would you say this limits the number of outlets in the bathroom to only one? ;)

luke warmwater

Mike, of all the places that I've worked and Code classes that I've attended, this question has always been in line with Bob's answer. So, I have to agree with Bob until I'm convinced otherwise.

I see nowhere in 210.52(F) that requires ONLY one receptacle outlet, rather it states AT LEAST one.

In 201.11(C)(2), it states that at least one 20 amp branch circut Shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacled outlet(s) required by 210.52(F) (which requires at least one ).

The no other outlets (from what I've gathered) means you can't add a receptacle on the other side of the wall for a garage outlet, or a family room outlet, rear weatherproof, hallway, etc.....

Should I now be rethinking this??
Todd

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Bob
"Would you say this limits the number of outlets in the bathroom to only one?"

No.

Let's try again.

210.52(F) Only "requires" one. Hold that thought. Yes you may have more. But put that out of your mind right now.

Now since only one is required remove the (s) in 210.11(C)(2). Now read the article without the (s) and you will start to see my point.

Mike P.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

OK

Let us start with 210.11(C)

It says that the "at least one additional 20-ampere circuit shall provide"

So we need one more circuit. Yes?

Continues "to supply the laundry receptacles outlet(s) required".

So some # of outlets have to be required. Yes?

Continues " by 210.52(F)".

We both know that we have to read 210.52(F).

210.52(F) "requires" only one receptacle outlet. It does not require switches or lights. Yes?

At least one does not mean that you have to have more. Yes?

Since only one is required we agree that one is the number. Not two, not three, not four.

Since one is singular we must ignore the (s) in 210.11(C)(2) since there is not more than one. Yes?

It continues "This circuit shall have no other outlets". Yes?

I agree that the intent might not be this, however the code does not reflect (or state) the intent.

Mike P.

jimwalker

Now i am confused.
If i run a 20 amp dedicated single for washer, i have met code.That part is easy.
If i want additional receptacles in laundry they could come off this circuit ? yes or no
If i have additional receptacles they must either be off that first circuit or an additional circuit that stays in the laundry ? yes or no
Can a branch circuit from lets say the living room feed a 2nd receptacle in the laundry? im thinking not,but to want to be clear on this.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jxofaltrds:
I agree that the intent might not be this, however the code does not reflect (or state) the intent.
Mike, exactly, the code does not reflect the intent of the outlet(s) only that the laundry will have a 20 amp circuit for the outlet(s)

Since one is singular we must ignore the (s) in 210.11(C)(2) since there is not more than one. Yes?
No, the CMP put the "(s)" there I do not have to ignore it

It continues "This circuit shall have no other outlets". Yes?
Yes and 210.11(C)(3) uses nearly the same language for the bathroom circuit but you accept that the CMP means no other outlets other than bathrooms not literally no other receptacles.

Why do accept this for bathrooms but not laundry's.? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Here is a link to the article.

Let me ask you where the code states that this 20 amp circuit must feed the washing machine?

Do you require that the 20 amp outlet be a single and not a duplex.

[ February 13, 2004, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

"Now i am confused."

Me too.
"If i run a 20 amp dedicated single for washer, i have met code.That part is easy."

Yes

"If i want additional receptacles in laundry they could come off this circuit ? yes or no"

I say no.

"If i have additional receptacles they must either be off that first circuit"

First circuit I say no.

"or an additional circuit that stays in the laundry ? yes or no"

It does not have to remain "in" the room.

"Can a branch circuit from lets say the living room feed a 2nd receptacle in the laundry?"

Why not?

"im thinking not,but to want to be clear on this"

Clear as mud. :D

Mike P.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Bob

Thanx for the link.

"As stated in 210.11(C)(1), the laundry receptacle outlet must be supplied by a 20-ampere branch circuit. Also, receptacle outlets outside of the laundry area are not permitted on the laundry branch circuit."

Were does it say "outside" of the laundry. I do not see that in the code.

It says no other outlets.

Please note that the above quote from http://www.ecmag.com/editorial_detail.aspx?id=578
refers to "THE" it does not say these.

Mike P.

iwire

Staff member

OK I got a quote from a Mike Holt newsletter.

Laundry Branch Circuit. One 20 ampere branch circuit is required for the laundry room receptacle outlet(s) [210-52(f)]. The laundry room receptacle circuit cannot serve any other outlet, such as the laundry room lighting or receptacles in other rooms.

The NEC does not require a separate circuit for the washing machine. Only a separate circuit for the laundry room receptacle(s) of which one can be for the washing machine and the others can be for convenience, Fig. 5-22.
Here is the link to the newsletter.

Look about 2/3s of the way down for the quote.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Bob

You just gave me the bullet.

"Laundry Branch Circuit. One 20 ampere branch circuit is required for the laundry room receptacle outlet(s) [210-52(f)]. The laundry room receptacle circuit cannot serve any other outlet, such as the laundry room lighting or receptacles in other rooms.

The NEC does not require a separate circuit for the washing machine. Only a separate circuit for the laundry room receptacle(s) of which one can be for the washing machine and the others can be for convenience, Fig. 5-22."

I think you are looking at the washing machine outlet. I am not talking about it.

In the above quote from Mike, he says no other outlets. He say "such" as.

You make me rethink my posts. I ask you to sit back and shake your head and look at my points again.

Isn't this fun??? ;)

Mike P.

iwire

Staff member

Mike I do not get what you mean with this.

I think you are looking at the washing machine outlet. I am not talking about it.

In the above quote from Mike, he says no other outlets. He say "such" as.
One, two, ten or twenty receptacle outlets can be on the required 20 amp circuit as long as these are in the laundry room.

One of these can or will feed the washer and the others are for whatever you want. :)

[ February 13, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

pierre

Lets not forget 210.50(C).
210.52(F) does not state 'rooms', it states 'areas'. I used to think like Mike P. and had this discussion with Mike Holt months ago - he asked me to research it and I contacted a bunch of people. The part that cinched my decision to change my mind was the ROP (Report on Proposals). In the substantiation it is stated that the Laundry branch circuit can supply other receptacles for laundry (irons, steamers, etc...), but for no other purpose.
And yes you can have other circuits in the laundry room to supply other loads.

Pierre

iwire

Staff member

Trouble maker. :D

Originally posted by pierre:
210.52(F) does not state 'rooms', it states 'areas'.
Great :roll: now we have to decide where a laundry "area" begins and ends.

If the laundry is in an unfinished basement where exactly do the laundry area outlets that are not required to be GFCI protected end and the unfinished basement GFCI protected outlets start.

Status
Not open for further replies.