210-52(5f)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

Re: 210-52(5f)

Bob
I am not the trouble maker, just the trouble continuer :D
You may not be old enough, but remember when the laundry machines were in a corner of the basement?
That is why 210.50(C).
I have recently seen some very nice laundry 'rooms' - pull down ironing, steamers, counters for folding, etc...

Pierre

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Speaking of being old enough to remember when.

I remember in 1947, section 2112 2 of the code said; "At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the connection of laundry appliances. This receptacle shall be 3-pole, of a type designed for grounding." :D

Roger

[ February 13, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

iwire

Staff member

AZ029479_320.jpg

hurk27

That was just like the first one that i had when I got married LOL :D
But it was in "77" I found it in the naghbors trash and it looked like it was in good condition so I put it in the basment right dead center(thats where the drain was lol) used a short garden hose and wala it worked. used it for at least 2 years for work clothes. it did a very good job getting out the dirt.

Defining a laundry area at our house would be very difficult. If I were to use the definition “were clothes are washed” it would be our basement where the washing machine is, the area around the kitchen sink and lavatories for hand wash stuff, and the area around the front yard hose bib for my muddy socks. If the definition included drying clothes also, it would be the dryer area, the outside deck, and areas around shower rods and assorted door handles. God forbid it includes where dirty close are kept also, then I would have to include the entire floor area of both my teenage daughters bedrooms and the back seat of the minivan.

jimwalker

Just be happy that you were not wiring in Collier county Florida about 9 years ago.For a while they insisted the laundry room was a habitable room and enforced 2 ft and 6 ft rule(go ahead and laugh but it happened)

[ February 13, 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

hurk27

Pierre
I remember geting a few blacl and blue fingers from the ringer washing my work clothes. It hurts
and when my sister was about 7 she had hair all the way down her back. she was playing around the washer my grandma had and some how got her hair in the ringer luckly my dad was there and through it in reverse but it took a chunk of hair out before he did. Ouch!

paulh,
When I was taking code classes in preparation
for the Master exam, one of my instructors(a City of Atlanta inspector) stressed LEARN THE DEFINITIONS IN ARTICLE 100! If you look up 'Outlets' and 'Utilization Equipment' I believe your question will be answered. Also,the word 'Outlet(s)' can be either singular or plural-it's your choice.I think the code making panel's intent was to prevent lighting outlets in the laundry space or room and 'outlets' in other spaces or rooms from being connected to the required Laundry circuit. Art. 210.11(C)(2) covers it well.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Why not?

If I install a 20 amp circuit I am code compliant.

Does it say that I can not install other outlets(circuits)?

Mike P.

[ February 15, 2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: jxofaltrds ]

jimwalker

"Can the washing machine be on a 15 amp circuit?"
It says at LEAST ONE ADDITIONAL 20
Where do you read 15 as being ok ?
I know where your trying to go,but there was no exception like we have for a frig.

[ February 15, 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

iwire

Staff member

210.11(C)(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.
Remember that the above is from the section of 210 that is called "Branch Circuits Required"

So when it says "at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s)"

It means in addition to the other required branch circuits.

210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.
I do not see anything in either of these that actual requires the 20 amp circuit to feed the washer.

It makes great sense to do so but is it required?

My washer is a large capacity and the tag says 10 amps.

210.23(A)(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
So a 15 amp circuit would comply with this for my washer.

Wouldn't the wording of 210.52(F) be "In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the clothes washing machine." if that is what the CMP intended?

jimwalker

Bob,i can't argue that a 15 would not run that washer.I do think if they intended that ,we would have the exception added like they did for a frig.

"at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets."

"This circuit shall have no other outlets."is referring to "at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit"
Seems they are indicating i can have more than one 20 amp circuit.
Of course one could argue that it never said i could or could not have that 240 for my dryer.

Once again they have used poor wording.

luke warmwater

We just got done with a very large residential addition that had an existing laundry room in the basement.
In the second floor hallway, the GC framed in a closet just large enough to fit new, front loading, stacked (not a stacker unit) washer and dryer. the dryer was electric and the washer spec's called for a 'dedicated 15amp supply.'
What would you run?
We ran a 15amp supply.
I only wish my guys had grabbed the book so that I could make a copy.

jimwalker

Why would anyone use 14-2 instead of 12-2?
what could you save 2 cents a foot?
and if that job got caught on a 15 what would the rewire cost your company?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I thought I would ask.

Hi Mike,
The required receptacle outlet installed for the washing machine must be a
20-ampere branch circuit. If the room is a laundry room, other receptacles
in the same room can be on the same washing machine circuit. Lighting in the
laundry room cannot be on the same circuit. Receptacles outside the laundry
cannot be on the same circuit.

All the receptacles in the laundry are not required on the same circuit.
There could be five receptacle outlets in the laundry room and each could be
on a separate circuit. All of these circuits are considered laundry
circuits, and each must be a 20-ampere circuit. Other receptacles outside
the laundry room cannot be on any of these laundry circuits. On the other
hand, all five receptacles could be on the same circuit.

Charles Miller

----- Original Message -----
To: <charles@charlesRmiller.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 7:52 AM
Subject: NEC 210.52(F)

> Mr. Miller
>
> After reading your articles in the Jan. 03, & Dec. 02 EC Mag, I would like
> your opinion on the following:
>
http://www.mikeholt.com/codeforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=002938
> ;p=1 .