240v sub panel fed 4 wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Up until the 2008 (I think that was the year) you could run a 3-wire feed to a separate building/structure as long as there were no metallic items (think water pipe, other conduit, etc.) in the path between buildings. Now we have to run a 4th (EGC) to avoid objectionable current on normally non-current carrying metallic items. Even then, a ground rod (or any grounding electrode) had to be installed.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Up until the 2008 (I think that was the year) you could run a 3-wire feed to a separate building/structure as long as there were no metallic items (think water pipe, other conduit, etc.) in the path between buildings. Now we have to run a 4th (EGC) to avoid objectionable current on normally non-current carrying metallic items. Even then, a ground rod (or any grounding electrode) had to be installed.
Yessir! I believe that to be the truth. I was looking to cite a code section that states just as you have said it.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I was always taught to use the ground reference of the feeder or branch circuits origin, reason being more than 1 grounding reference can create an unstable fault path.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Pool equipment. The most important installation to get the grounding right for and you aren't walking away from this DIY fiasco? You touch it and somebody dies you're going to jail.

READ Art 680, specifically 680.6

680.6 Grounding.
Electrical equipment shall be grounded in
accordance with Parts V, VI, and VII of Article 250 and connected
by wiring methods of Chapter 3, except as modified by this
article. The following equipment shall be grounded:
(1) Through-wall lighting assemblies and underwater luminaires,
other than those low-voltage lighting products listed
for the application without a grounding conductor
(2) All electrical equipment located within 1.5 m (5 ft) of the
inside wall of the specified body of water
(3) All electrical equipment associated with the recirculating
system of the specified body of water
(4) Junction boxes
(5) Transformer and power supply enclosures
(6) Ground-fault circuit interrupters
(7) Panelboards that are not part of the service equipment
and that supply any electrical equipment associated with

the specified body of water

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am looking for code section that states a sub panel requires a "4th" wire pulled for ground in lieu of driven rods. I find a section that says building or structure but not simply "any sub panel". I have also tried searching the archive of post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Even a stand-alone pedestal or pole would be considered to be a structure in this situation.

Plus, yes, any sub-panel requires a separate EGC, regardless of one structure or two. The earth never qualifies.

The purpose of an intact EGC pathway has nothing to do with grounding to earth. It is so an accidental contact between a hot wire and a conductive surface will cause a fuse or breaker to open just like an accidental contact between a hot wire and a grounded conductor (or another source conductor) would.

For that to happen, there must be a low-impedance connection between the EGC system and the source grounded conductor. Again, the earth alone is nowhere near conductive to serve this function. You would likely never get a 15a breaker to trip if you tied it directly to a ground rod; you'd only energize the dirt.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Personally I would not be looking for exceptions when it comes to new pools and the EG requirements.

Me either, and, to the OP ,, don't walk away,, instead,,insist you install it so it will be done correctly.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.