3-way switch loops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Re: 3-way switch loops

Larry
Being that you brought it up would not most cables coming from a multi gain box be on the same circuit?
How should this be looked at as to bundling ?
:confused:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by al hildenbrand:
Remember at the beginning of this thread you had never seen a plastic box with internal clamps.

Edit - post count
Not till you posted the picture of one and the one you posted a picture of I have no problem with, I would count those clamps. :cool:

peter d

Has everyone lost sight of the fact that we are debating whether cheesy plastic clamps count toward device fill????? :eek: :eek:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
What does an anurism feel like?
Tonight I do not know, if you asked me that during the SA circuit thread I could have described it in detail. :D

peter d

We are some bored dudes!!

Oh wait, that's obvious...nevermind.

Edit: 1st grade spelling error.

[ July 10, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

peter d

It's not going to be a good rendition, but Scott might say something like:

Plastic clamps? Box fill? I have to go work on my stamp collection now. :roll: :roll:

[Sorry Scott, that was bad, but I tried my best.]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Larry
Being that you brought it up would not most cables coming from a multi gain box be on the same circuit?
How should this be looked at as to bundling ?
:confused:
Here's what I meant: let's suppose we have a 4-gang switchbox at the door of a good-sized bedroom for, oh let's say, a ceiling fan/light combo, a pair of recessed lights, and split-wired receptacles. That's four switches, but let's calculate box fill, using #14 conductors:

The fan/light takes a 14/3, the receptacles a 14/3, the recessed lights a 14/2, and feed-in and feed-out are also 14/2's. That's a total of 12 current-carrying, plus 1 for grounds, 8 for 4 devices, and one more for clamps. Total: 22; at 2 cu.in./conductor, that requires 44 cu.in.

A 4-gang Carlon nail-on has a 55-cu.in. capacity, so we're okay there. But what about the wires running up and/or down in the wall? If they all go up, that's a bundle of 12 conductors, which should be derated, right?

However, if they're all on one cicruit, the agregate heat build-up shouldn't exceed that of a single cable. The total current should never exceed that of the circuit's rating, even though the box is relatively full, especially if dimmers are used.

Now, let's say we have three separate circuits feeding three switches in a 3-gang nail-on, each circuit having a feed-in hot and neutral, and leg-out hot and neutral. Total conductors: 12, as above, plus grounds, devices, and clamps. However, we have 3 circuit's potential of total load current.

That requires a box of 40 cu.in. The Carlon 3-gang nail-on is 44. We're okay here again. Note that we once again have 12 conductors running up the wall. However, this time, we have three circuits, each contributing their share of heat build-up.

In the first example, I wouldn't hesitate to bundle or stack the cables together, and even use one or two bored holes, although an inspector might have an issue with it. In the second example, I would definitely separate the wires more, maybe two stackers, and bore three holes.

My point is that there's bundling, and then there's bundling. The maximum expected, or possible, total current load is as important as the sheer quantity of conductors when it comes to cable bundling and box fill, as far as real-world performance is concerned.

bensonelectric

If we are going to be counting those clamps because they take up space perhaps we should be including wire nuts in box fill calculations. Perhaps we should be including the locknut on the inside of the box, since all of those things take up space.

All and all, I believe Bob is right, that those clamps should not be counted, but with the current wording of the code, George you are correct. But is the code correct in this situation? I do not believe so. Metal clamps are much bigger, and take up a sizable ammount of space in your box, whereas the plastic clamps are often smaller than a yellow wing-nut.

Sorry if this is a little incoherent. It is late, and im drifting off into my Pink Floyd, and it is difficult for me to keep my focus lol ;) :cool:

jwelectric

LarryFine
Your post above is one that I have debated for a couple of years now. I agree with you that if it is fed by a single circuit why derate.
;)

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by peter d:
Now come on Bob, you can do better than that. We could always start debating about SA branch circuit, which way the ground pin goes, or should we require antishort bushings for MC cable!

You can only connect small appliances to a SA circuit, ground pin up in the north, down in the south, use anti-short bushings on odd numbered days. That was easy enough. :D

electricmanscott

Originally posted by iwire:
I am hoping electricmanscott comes by and kicks us all in the rear for this 100 post thread. :D :roll: :eek:
Whoo! Great party guys. Sorry I'm a little late.
spot_party.gif

Something about this thread really stinks
smiley_fart.gif

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

This topic started out how to wire 3-way switches for a fan then turned into a debate whether clamps in MN boxes count as box fill and now the subject is derating. :)

I still don?t think the Carlon link is correct. There is no way to remove the molded clamps from PVC boxes unless they are broken out but this would not change the volume of the box. Boxes that use separate internal clamps at tested without the clamp accessory in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.